GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
We didn't need to piss and moan then, Al...the conservatives were doing it quite well.

Now things are different...the MAJORITY of our public grows tired of our POTUS and his multiple governmental deficits (he's not a career politician, I'll give him that...but he doesn't listen to those who are). Politics is NOT like the business world, where "deals" are forged. I don't want to have to give up the good things our government does just because our POTUS can't get it through his head that it's not whether or not a deal got made, it's whether or not the deal is good for our country.

I'd say he's not good been for the majority in our country...of course, it's obvious that you'll disagree. Go ahead....that's what this thread is all about, sharing our views of the political aspect of our culture. He IS good, IMHO, for the wealthy, but whether or not they will share that unexpected "windfall" with their employees is yet another issue. I think they're just banking it.

Trickle-down doesn't really work...at least I haven't seen any direct benefits from our POTUS's efforts to further enrich the already wealthy.

I will say, however, that I do like Trump's plans to dedicate some governmental money to rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure...it's needed some TLC for some time (particularly our highway system, IMHO), so once I start to see some improvements maybe my opinion of him will change.

Just MHO, of course.

Cheers, Al!

Doug

Last edited:
The truth is Obama could have run around bare ass, snorting coke, with his hair on fire, and the left would have said he's cool. When the market comes back, nothing will be said. The focus once again will be on Russia and anything else, "look he's drinking out of a glass held in his left hand" or something equally as stupid. If, at the end of 4 years we are not better off, I won't change the subject "all my Lib friends do that" I'll admit I was wrong.

The market lost gains for 2018, that would be for 36 days. Your short memory doesn't remember 2011 when under Obama our credit rating dropped from AAA to AA+ and the stock market took a historic plunge. Didn't hear you piss and moan then.

I piss and moan every time I lose money, but I didn't even know this thread existed back in 2011.

However, this time I'm pissed because Trump and the Republicans passed a tax law that clearly and overly benefits corporations in a low interest rate, full employment economy.

So, the Republicans are squeezing a can of lighter fluid on top of a economic fire that's already going just fine, IMO. So now we'll get quickly rising wages and quicker interest rate hikes from the Fed, add 1.5 Trillion to the national debt, which will likely overheat the economy and we'll likely get a rapid inflationary economy as a result of giving tax gift to the One-Percenters and Corporations.

Paul Ryan trumpeted someone who receiving an extra $1.50/week, on his Twitter feed justa few days ago, before he was embarassed and deleted the tweet. I used to like Paul Ryan, in the days when he was running with Mitt Romney, but now he's just one of the many schmucks in Congress.

I bought some stock this morning in a company that I felt was "on sale." So, I'm happy, for now.

You gotta love the news last night (article in the NY Times) regarding Trump's lawyers do NOT want F'ing Moron to talk to Mueller. They're afraid he'll lie to the Special Prosecutor. Really, F'ing Moron lie? Never I say! :laugh:

It's plainly obvious that Trump has much to lie about, otherwise why hide from The Mueller? He's coming for ya, F'ing Moron!

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Well the market closed up 567, what no comment?

Have been at work all day, haven't seen the news yet. If so, well, that's good for the U.S. (YEE-HAW!!!!)

Now all we need is to find a way for that to benefit ALL of us here in the U.S., not just the top 2%.

I guess the point that drives this issue home for me is the way Trump's base credits him for all good things and blames the left for all the bad things that happen. It's ALL on President Trump's head...the good and the bad. It might be a wise idea for us all to keep that in mind...

...but, then, if we did that we wouldn't need this thread, now, would we?

So...back to idolizing B.O. and H. C. and dissing Trump, right (Sarcasm...only one of the many fine services I offer, Al)?

Cheers!

Doug

Well the market closed up 567, what no comment?

Yes, the Dow 30 (not a really a broad market measure) closed up, but the Dow 30 was also down something like 567 this morning too. And I bought some "bargains" too.

So, I'd like to take this moment to thank Donald Trump and the Republicans for the market volatility the past few trading sessions. You know how we investors love market volatility. :bash:

Of course, the Dow 30 is still down 1,700+ points or about 6%+ from about a week ago.

And Obama blamed Bush for everything bad and took credit for the good. What else is new. At least Trump isn't whining about Obama and how bad America and Americans are. That got really old, I happen to think this country is unique and special. We've given more than anyone and continue to do so. We have what we have because of guys like Justin, 10 years of his life, God bless him.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Hey, Al...just a quick question and observation.

Every time I see you post a compliment regarding Trump it mentions the stock market. Is that your only criterion for judging him?

I ask b/c I have a whole laundry list of things I'd like to see improved...for example, his refusal to tell the American public about his finances and own up to his failures (I think the "Stormy" issue is a personal failure and from what I've been reading I think his current wife does, also. We'll see how that one works out!)...also his insistence on not letting the public know what his future plans are (I can see the obvious need for secrecy if it involves our military's movements and actions), but for the most part I just think he's really clueless and doesn't know what to do and hides it by saying he doesn't want to broadcast his next move. That's a lame excuse/practice, IMHO.

I'd like to see him become more "people" oriented...and I think the entire nation wants to see him stick it out while Muller completes his investigation. His "handlers" don't want him to talk with Muller...and if lying is one of those things that can reflect negatively on Trump, well, we all know about the multitude of incorrect statements he has made. Many of those are out-and-out lies that he appears to believe will convince the public that he's trying, but IMHO he really isn't giving everyone the same benefit. I'd really like to see him be honest with Muller, but I don't see him as a very honest individual (his "Trump University" fiasco is just one example!)

Most of all, I want him to carry through on his campaign promise to take care of ALL people of ALL economic levels. Right now his ACTIONS say very clearly that all he cares about are those who make their living in the stock market or industry...not that there's anything wrong with that, but there are many more citizens here in the U.S.A. who do not gamble in the stock market or have high paying jobs in industry. Does he not believe that they are deserving of his attention and efforts, too? So far I don't see it if he does..... :thumbsdown:

Doug

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Of course, the Dow 30 is still down 1,700+ points or about 6%+ from about a week ago.

...which, quite conveniently I might add, completely IGNORES the fact that the DOW is still several bazillion points/dollars A-B-O-V-E where it was just before Obama put his butt in the lead "U-Haul" and rode away from the White House.

Sheeeeeeeeeeze... :annoyed:

...which, quite conveniently I might add, completely IGNORES the fact that the DOW is still several bazillion points/dollars A-B-O-V-E where it was just before Obama put his butt in the lead "U-Haul" and rode away from the White House.

Sheeeeeeeeeeze... :annoyed:

....which, quite conveniently MISSES THE F'ING POINT, as usual.

The new tax law, which quite possibly could screw the whole economy up, was signed 12/22/2017. And we're only in the 2nd month of the new law. And the market just got a jobs report it didn't like.

When you finance a $1.5 Trillion dollar tax cut over 10 years, not all the effects of this deficit buster can be felt the first month. DOH!

Doug, you're "pissing into the wind," as they say.

When Dumbo's lawyers advise Dumbo not to speak to the Special Prosecutor (because Dumbo will perjure himself), when Dumbo is on record that he would love to speak to the Special Prosecutor, even under oath Dumbo said, that's all you need to know. Dumbo cannot tell the truth.

It's roughly dinner/bedtime back in DC, time for Dumbo to take a cheeseburger to bed and have more "executive time." :laugh:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, Rod...he not only can’t, he won’t. He’s looking for a chance to look good and his egomaniacal self won’t let him miss a chance to (in his eyes) make himself look good. If all he cares about are the Trumpdylites in the SE U.S. (and that’s how it looks!!!) well, you can’t maintain a stranglehold on the country if you only cater to those who have demonstrated a rather “redneck” orientation that most of the rest of the country hasn’t adopted... but in his fantasy-crazed condition he can’t process that well enough to succeed.

He might make an acceptable “Enterprise Czar”...but his approval ratings are less than 40% so that means about 60% of our population think he’s a bad joke already...and I’d bet that if we could sample a representative group from the developed countries he’d have lower ratings than he now has.

Doug

Hey, Al...just a quick question and observation.

Every time I see you post a compliment regarding Trump it mentions the stock market. Is that your only criterion for judging him?

I ask b/c I have a whole laundry list of things I'd like to see improved...for example, his refusal to tell the American public about his finances and own up to his failures (I think the "Stormy" issue is a personal failure and from what I've been reading I think his current wife does, also. We'll see how that one works out!)...also his insistence on not letting the public know what his future plans are (I can see the obvious need for secrecy if it involves our military's movements and actions), but for the most part I just think he's really clueless and doesn't know what to do and hides it by saying he doesn't want to broadcast his next move. That's a lame excuse/practice, IMHO).

I'd like to see him become more "people" oriented...and I think the entire nation wants to see him stick it out while Muller completes his investigation. His "handlers" don't want him to talk with Muller...and if lying is one of those things that can reflect negatively on Trump, well, we all know about the multitude of incorrect statements he has made. Many of those are out-and-out lies that he appears to believe will convince the public that he's trying, but IMHO he really isn't giving everyone the same benefit. I'd really like to see him be honest with Muller, but I don't see him as a very honest individual (his "Trump University" fiasco is just one example!)

Most of all, I want him to carry through on his campaign promise to take care of ALL people of ALL economic levels. Right now his ACTIONS say very clearly that all he cares about are those who make their living in the stock market or industry...not that there's anything wrong with that, but there are many more citizens here in the U.S.A. who do not gamble in the stock market or have high paying jobs in industry. Does he not believe that they are deserving of his attention and efforts, too? So far I don't see it if he does..... :thumbsdown:

Doug

The stock market was what everyone was obsessing over. Are you taxed less in your paycheck? I hear that every day. I have a friend back east that makes too much for low income healthcare, recently divorced, equal parental time with twin 15 year old children. Can't afford $365 a month for OB care. She's not going to get a income tax refund this year that she's planned on because the Government is going to fine her for not having OB care she can't pay for. That's not because of Trump, it's BS OB care.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
....which, quite conveniently MISSES THE F'ING POINT, as usual.

The new tax law, which quite possibly could screw the whole economy up, was signed 12/22/2017. And we're only in the 2nd month of the new law. And the market just got a jobs report it didn't like.

When you finance a $1.5 Trillion dollar tax cut over 10 years, not all the effects of this deficit buster can be felt the first month. DOH!

You might try looking at real world reality w/o your DNC-issued 'blinders' on, Rod.

Wages are finally going up...job and business-killing gov't regs have been axed...crappy trade deals have been axed...employees are being paid bonuses SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE of the tax cuts...companies are announcing B-I-L-L-I-O-N-S of dollars worth of investment in new plants for the same reason (which will create thousands of new jobs)...unemployment is down - at record lows in the Black & Latino communities...Black home ownership is the highest it's ever been...the Obamacare "individual mandate penalty" is gone...Keystone XL and Dakota pipelines have been approved...ANWR has been opened up and offshore drilling is back - all of which will be a big source of jobs and taxes, and on it goes...

But, as you stated, "...not all the effects of this deficit buster(!) can be felt the first month." 'Glad to know you acknowledge that at least.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
You might try looking at real world reality w/o your DNC-issued 'blinders' on, Rod.

Wages are finally going up...job and business-killing gov't regs have been axed...crappy trade deals have been axed...employees are being paid bonuses SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE of the tax cuts...companies are announcing B-I-L-L-I-O-N-S of dollars worth of investment in new plants for the same reason (which will create thousands of new jobs)...unemployment is down - at record lows in the Black & Latino communities...Black home ownership is the highest it's ever been...the Obamacare "individual mandate penalty" is gone...Keystone XL and Dakota pipelines have been approved...ANWR has been opened up and offshore drilling is back - all of which will be a big source of jobs and taxes, and on it goes...

So let's look at the real world. And I'm saying this now, don't bother trying to respond to these unless you can remove political and ideological filters (both sides) from a thoughtful statement:

1) What percentage of the working population is receiving a bonus or raise (not the $1.50/week Ryan bragged about...I'm appealing to common sense about a worthwhile improvement) solely due to the tax cut. Don't distort answers with minimum wage increases, raises and bonuses that were paid regardless of the tax cut, public employee raises, or any other garbage to boost the score. Don't spout generalities and think that folks are just going to fall for "employees are..." I don't know of any person yet that has received a tax "raise or bonus" personally, and the ones in the papers are an extremely small percentage of the employed.

2) Why do "job killing regs" exist in the first place? Not hard to figure out for anybody that has some wits about them. Someone (or a lot of somebodies) got hurt because those folks making the big bucks didn't give a shit about anybody else, so other folks paid for it. Love Canal...coal ash slurry spills, Bhopal, and on and on and on...but let's not learn and regulate for that because the regs might cost you and me the cost a coke per day for the rest of our lives. And don't forget about the many companies that didn't follow the regs to save money, and still went out of business anyway, and left us to clean up their mess.

3) Individual mandate. I don't know about you guys, but I've had company health insurance all of my life. "The concept that everybody pays in so that everybody benefits...group insurance" was not lost on me, even as a young man who paid, but never received or needed the benefits (returns) until decades later. So when, in the real reasonable world, has that changed? When did the rules of everyone helping everyone else achieve a common goal completely disappear into a world of "looking out for number one", or "might makes right"?

4) Remember "drill baby drill"...and then all the jobs that were created? The the irony was not lost on the folks (not corporations) looking for jobs because we drilled ourselves into a glut resulting in falling prices. Nothing is permanent, especially fossil fuels. It's great to see the employment stats for renewable energy though, and barring the short-sighted need to return back 20 years to all fossil fuels, is sustainable.

5) Yep, wages are going up. So now after a decade or more of stagnant wage growth (for those that live payday to payday), or actual decline in purchasing power, I'm so happy to see you show empathy for the working class and cheer them on when not a peep came out about it when they were all wondering why they continued to sink deeper and deeper. It will be a while, if ever, that this class of working folks will every recover from that period.

That's the real world. You can try to slow the world down, become a grumpy old fart, complaining in the echo chamber, of all those things that "hurt" you, or that are "great", but I suspect that these things you're complaining/championing about, are things that have no direct impact on your life, or to the degree you make it appear. I suspect you just like to talk about everybody else's problems, which is very convenient...yes? I've found my quality of life has improved considerable by turning off the TV, and less frequent reading of the masculine bovine feces being pushed around in this forum. I feel you may benefit from that as well.

Last edited:

But, as you stated, "...not all the effects of this deficit buster(!) can be felt the first month." 'Glad to know you acknowledge that at least.

Larry, simply, everything has been good and getting better since 2009. The jobless rate is low (4%), for African Americans too, new investment in the US was already taking place. A few small bones to Walmart employees isn’t S in the big scheme of life. And those jobs in Indiana that Dumb$hit was going to save never materialized.

The tax cut was for the wealthy and corporations. Economists are NOW worried about an overheating economy, which you can’t seem to understand without spouting off the Kool Aid from the far right.

Seriously the market is spooked, which is why we’ve had a 6% loss from last week and all the market volatility. Let’s check back here in 6, 12, 18, etc. months and let’s see where we are. I suggest gold and cash, mostly because F’ing Moron will be removed from office and economy will be sick.

Just heard about this new movement from Republicans called Boycott The GOP:

Wittes and Rauch: Boycott the Republican Party - The Atlantic

We understand why Republicans, even moderate ones, are reluctant to cross party lines. Party, today, is identity. But in the through-the-looking-glass era of Donald Trump, the best thing Republicans can do for their party is vote against it.

We understand, too, the many imperfections of the Democratic Party. Its left is extreme, its center is confused, and it has its share of bad apples. But the Democratic Party is not a threat to our democratic order. That is why we are rising above our independent predilections and behaving like dumb-ass partisans. It’s why we hope many smart people will do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back