I wanted to throw a brick at the T.V.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I just watched a show on T.V. that was glorifying Graffiti or "street art"
as they called it. Over the 30 years or so I have been in business I have spent thousands of dollars cleaning and repainting my buildings that have been decorated by "street art":shout:
I fail to see how vandalising peoples property in any way, can be justified as art.
I'm interested in the opinion of the forum.

I'm with you on this Pete. It's usually crap.

Ironically, the good one at the art should persue their talents by putting them to good use, but I doubt it is the case...

Pete I work in local government and our workshop is currently setting up four trucks with two crew each and a lot of expensive high presure water blasting equipment to clean up the mess these idiots make.
I would take a soft aproach to the problem and not cut their fingers of until the second offence.

Darrell DRB#46
LS1 G50

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Paper is used for drawing, not public property, or, even worse, your property.

Thats just plain stupid done by people with no respect for other peoples things. GO DRAW ON YOUR OWN WALLS!

So before I continue further on how I feel, I will leave it there.

I was shopping at Ace Hardware and struck up a conversation with another customer. He said the company he works for has two trucks with two man crews that are hired full time, year round by the city of Tucson to take care of graffiti on city property. That probably ends up costing the taxpayers around $250k a year. Salarys for 6 additional policemen. They ought to paint the artists dayglow orange, and zip tie them to a post on the most traveled street with a sign hung around their neck for a week. Then make them clean it up!

I had a building that had the entire side done up with a full graffiti mural over the weekend. Ugly as hell, and as the day passed, a neighbor asked what the hell did I ruin the neighborhood for.

Turns out the guy who did it was dressed up like a painter, had drop cloths, and a professional air about him. He told my neighbors that I had hired him to do it and, "believe me, he didn't pay enough."

I don't believe anyone on this forum is the type to enjoy the "art of graffiti." It's hideous, a waste of sources, wastes other peoples time in cleaning, and did I mention hideous? This forum tends to be a higher class of individual, graffiti is for the immature criminal type. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some guys on youtube that have done beautiful work with a rattle can, and are educated. But they are smart enough, and considerate enough not to ruin someone's property with it.

We have a number of louts putting graffiti on Sydney suburban trains. I would seriously like to see them caught and, instead of some good behaviour bond, sentenced to weekend duty where they report to a train depot, and clean the trains all weekend. Any defaults, and its prison, or maybe seven day train cleaning while shackled together in a literal chain gang.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
On the underground trains they have been doing the glass for years.
I believe using a coin to scratch their "tag" into the glass. This both on the inside and outside of the glass turning some almost opaque.

I to agree with the chain gang - hut over here no doubt it would infringe the toerag's rights! What about the rights of the owners of the trains, buildings, walls etc not to have their property defaced, and also the rights of the public at large to not have to put up with this problem.

Hand lopping would also be a good option!
But not able to claim against state benefits afterwards - after all they cannot hold their hand out for any 2handouts"

Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Any body been to Brazil? St Paulo in particular. I think the spray paint actually holds some of the buildings together. Nothing is Off Limits for the Graffitistas.....

Back