Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Few updated pictures.
Shows catches slots, shut lines and the car is now sitting on it's wheels.
No I haven't had the car painted linden green it's the overhead lights in my workshop causing the colour cast.

The last picture shows the recently modified cill that was 12mm too long. Now it's not

Attachments

• web sept 21 (58).jpg
    web sept 21 (58).jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 727
  • web sept 21 (59).jpg
    web sept 21 (59).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 685
  • web sept 21 (69).jpg
    web sept 21 (69).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 731
After taking into consideration the IVA test I decided to modify the dash to allow for the switches to be in the 127mm range of the steering wheel and IVA compliant buttons and air con switches outside of this area. Hopefully based on information given this would mean not having to move switches later.
Also I forgot one switch that needed to be fitted, therefore I decided to fit two 2mm thick carbon dash inserts, one either side of the steering wheeel with the correct amount of switches cut in and a spare switch hole for any future items I may install.
Fiddly job cutting the dash and the leather stuck to it but a small hand saw that fits into a stanley knife did the job a treat.
The plan is to pre wire all the sensors in and put some power to the dash before it's put in the car. Like a Pre Test.

Not great pictures, but it gives you an idea.

Attachments

• web dash sept (4).jpg
    web dash sept (4).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 719
  • web dash sept (10).jpg
    web dash sept (10).jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 799
Gurney bump arrived today, got the measurements for its fitting but I'm not sure about them, so I will take some measurements and fit it in a couple of days. Finally fitted the body catches, they work well.
Fitted the IVA compliant side repeater indicators.
Fitted the rear number plate lights but they will have to come off for the IVA test as they dont comply.
Plan is to fit the front headlights next, I have got pair of Valeo Cibie's so there going in.
Pictures to follow when I have them.

Slight delay in the engine completion as the Injection system is waiting clearance at customs.

The Gurney bump has arrived, no it's not a decease I have.
It looks rather large to fit in a hole that small.. excuse the pun.
I marked the bump onto the door top and then marked 20mm in from that.
Drilled a 10mm hole and set to the shape with a jigsaw, cutting through both layers of the door.
Once cut you can see between the two layers and you can prise the layers apart with a screwdriver.
The bump with and push and a shove goes between the layers.
Prior to alignment I scored the 20mm edge with a grinder and 40 grade paper to give a good bond with the fibreglass.
With the doors I have you need to cut into the stiffener ribs on the edges. I packed these with fibreglass matting and the bump was sandwiched between the layers with fibreglass matting and resin.
This was clamped until solid.
The edges inside were sanded down and finished off with P38 filler,
the outside was scored and again resin, matting and filler used.
All this is only rough finish with a DA sander, prior to the bodyshop.
The only problem I had was that all this cutting twisted the door top about 6mm and I need to straighten it.

The pictures look like I'm repairing a toilet seat, perhaps
it's a S..T job

Attachments

• web gurney bump (6).jpg
    web gurney bump (6).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 533
  • web gurney bump (11).jpg
    web gurney bump (11).jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 493
  • web gurney bump (21).jpg
    web gurney bump (21).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 494
  • web gurney bump 2.jpg
    web gurney bump 2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 542
  • web gurney bump (29).jpg
    web gurney bump (29).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 619
Also 1st picture of my new engine. The Injection system was held up at customs / Fed Ex.
It's on the move, should be about a week or so.

Attachments

• web my engine.jpg
    web my engine.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 835
Finished off the catches today, the next time there touched will be by the bodyshop hopefully. Side repeater indicators fitted in the position that a car recently passed the IVA , 170mm from the bottom of the deck and central to the catch.

Wired in the fans and put some power on them to test, all ok.
Bonded the front deck loom in place and made sure all the wiring goes to where it should do.
Positioned the seats and drilled the holes.
Soldered on the battery terminal, things like that.
Loads of little jobs done today but it seems like nothings done, some days it goes like that.

Attachments

• web sept 24th (6).jpg
    web sept 24th (6).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 633
  • web sept 24th (11).jpg
    web sept 24th (11).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 622
  • web sept 24th (14).jpg
    web sept 24th (14).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 708
  • web sept 24th (24).jpg
    web sept 24th (24).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 707
Sometimes you need a little reminder of what's coming.
I was looking through some old pictures and came across the 1st GTD I built back in 1999 this was about a month after it was finished.
Still going strong, upgraded of course and now down at the Ascari circuit in Spain.
Regret selling it. " Of course " but the SGT will be better

Attachments

• web 6 gtd 22.jpg
    web 6 gtd 22.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 709
Yes, the old girls still going well, I will be seeing her again this weekend, Frank

Attachments

• DSC_4207edit.jpg
    DSC_4207edit.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 657
  • DSC_4209edit.jpg
    DSC_4209edit.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 642
Off to SGT tommorrow got to collect a few parts.
Perspex windows, small bits and pieces etc.
Can't work on the car this week and off to Istanbul a week later so things will come to a standstill again.
Knight racing services the engine builder is missing a few parts so that's a bit behind as well.

I'm In Istanbul 9th -15th October.
Not sure where werabouts were staying, it's where most goes on in the evening, staying at the Four Seasons. Wife booked it !

Picked up parts today:
All perspex windows, Mick says don't fit them till after IVA
Headlight surrounds,, much, much better than the Tornado ones I had.
Door bottom trims and rubber seals
Air con / engine bracket.
New door handles and fixing kit,, doing away with the Tornado ones.
Dashboard demister panel
Plus Odds & sods

There's times when you go 2 steps forward and 1 step back and it seems like this at the moment.
Various little jobs not going as I would like, so I decided to do a simple job and fit the dashboard demister panel.
Well probably because of the leather it was to big and the fixing holes were to close to the edges to just trim it.
So I cut the grill in half, shortened it by 12mm stitched it back together. On a trial fit it also needs trimming at the top edges.
I'll have to cut these at work so it's all stop again.
Eventually it will be shot blasted and re powdercoated.
" 2 steps forward and 1 back "

Picture at trial fit

Back