Nicks Forte Scratch Build - to Stunning Mk1 GTD

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice progress! I like the way the chassis is turning out..

Interesting- in the first photo you can see the words "State Trooper" on a piece of sheet metal. They don't have states or troopers in the UK, so this must have come from over here....

It looks like the rear bumper cover off of a Crown Victoria police cruiser..
Good eye! :thumbsup:

I've order 2.5 litres of a white semi matt / silk metal paint and yes I know it will take 2 - 3 coats but even though most of the chassis is always covered, I wanted a more personal touch !. At least I'll be able to see the oil and dirt marks ;-)

Mine is mostly dust grey at the moment. :)

NickD

Supporter
A day well spent Yesterday collecting the Engine which will one day form the core of my 40.

The donor - A 1986 Lincoln Towncar stretched limo - Stock 302 with 84K miles on the clock, engine on the pallet and finally on its way home.

The next time this engine is behind me and I'm in the front seat, it should be powering me along ;-)

Strip down awaits.

Attachments

• IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 908
  • IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 925
Did you ask about the 67-8 fastback? Those are getting hard to find here. I bet there are not too many on your side of the pond!

NickD

Supporter
Keith,

I think the correct term would be "Spring Chicken to Shite Hawke" courtesy of Edelbrock. ;-)

NickD

Supporter
I think I can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel which should mark the end of the first phase - completion of the chassis build.

Spent the evening wrestling with the roll hoop and some of the adjoining components, takes some doing to get that welded in place when your on your todd. With the addition of the rear Stays in the next couple of days and a few final bits here and there, should finish this phase by Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,210

NickD

Supporter
Paul,

Its not a patch on yours bud. give me about 12 months and I'll be happier with it. Had the bloody grinder literally blow up in my hand last night - I think air tools from now on ;-)

Nick.

NickD

Supporter
Don't normally work on the car on a Friday night but felt I just had to break the back of the last serious chassis job.

Have now got the passenger cabin roll hoop rear supports in place so excepting a few bits and bobs, I reckon I'm still on schedule to complete the chassis build by Sunday night.

Saturday afternoon always reserved for copious amounts of beer. Even with a project as demanding as this, one has to stay civilised !

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpg
    IMG_2152.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited:

NickD

Supporter
Well, after what I calculate as 60 hours work, we are finally at the stage where all thats left to do are the Seat Belt mounts, Front Anti Roll Bar mounts and a couple of bits around the rear Horse Shoe.

All in all I'm pleased with the way its all come together.

Should have her all painted for next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,747
Hi Nick,
the chassis looks really good. I wish this had been an option when I started my build. Maybe I need to build another :laugh:

Regards,
Andy

NickD

Supporter
Keith,

This is something I'm only just starting to consider, both the power assisted steering and brakes.

I guess I have more flexibility on the brake front given if i don't go power assisted I can opt for bigger disks and 6 Pot as opposed to 4 on the front and overall it will save on two servo's which are not exactly cheap. I have seen the 7 inch servo's, nice and compact but I'm not at all sure if they are any good or not.

As for the steering, I think i'm almost certainly going with electrically assisted as long as I can trim it back so I can get a really good feel for grip through the steering.

Any comments welcome.

Nick, I don't know much about brakes!

I was prompted to ask as I looked over the images of your chassis. My chassis was basically fully panelled when I got it, so any mods involving a welder were a bugger. If I can give any advice, it would be useful to consider if anything needs addressed on your car at the welding stage, from my own experience:-

Brackets or hinges for the straps for the fuel tanks.
Brackets for the power steering column.
Seat straps,.... you've done.
Are you centre shifting, you'll need to move the handbrake mounting brackets back a few inches and weld on mounting plates for the shifter.

On the Tornado (I guess others too) the steelwork for the centre tunnel stops 'half way' down the cabin, it may be useful to consider laying a couple of bars/angles down to secure the cover to and indeed any hydraulic lines passing up the tunnel, which need secured for IVA, I'd be interested to know what others did here, if anything. You can see here my EPAS brackets and the 'lack' of steelwork at the feet):-

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-bui...ld-belfast-northern-ireland-8.html#post438041

I realise some of this stuff deviates from a thoroughbred. K

The GT Forte chassis pack I believe is designed for the Corsa 'B' power assisted column but you can always use the non-power assisted column, to my mind you lose nothing by planning it to take the EPAS column even if you don't use it as you can always go that route later and it's much easier to just replace the column than take everything apart and weld in new mounts etc. A non-EPAS column is ~£10 s/h btw (and you also have the Tigra as an option).

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I like the chassis but am perplexed as to the designer's use of a lateral support between the upper shock mounts as it really appears to have cut down the usable space in the foot box / tunnel.. My thought is that I would have run a couple diagonals upward to a lateral bar across the top of the foot box..

attachment.php

If I had some software on my ipad to use to draw on the picture, I would illustrate what I'm saying..
You are making great progress!

NickD

Supporter
Been a bit quiet on the build front what with Mother's Day etc. almost completed the chassis paint and just began to hate it in white, so it's going back to satin black. So that's the best part of 8 hours work wasted. ;-(

NickD

Supporter
Well after what I recon to be about 80 hours of work, about 60 of which were productive, I can finally say that the Chassis is now done.

Taken, 2 months part time but I'm well chuffed with the result. Biggest benefit is I know exactly how she is built from top to bottom.

Next task the floor pan and panelling along with brake lines.

A big thanks to Darren at GT Forte for the great kit and support and everyone else with comments and advice to date.

Attachments

• IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,210
Back