Porsche 908/910 project

Gents,

I don't know if this is of any interest but I have started to make a flat 8 engine for a 908 replica by wire cutting two 2.6 6 cyl crank cases and welding them to make an 8 cyl crank case. Case now welded and we are setting up to line bore and surface the decks prior to crankshaft manufacture.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 11,105
Wow Bob, that's something I have wanted to do for many years. Keep us up on the progress!

Thanks for that one!

wow, that's pretty slick
kinda like the populous (sp?) flat four that you see in 356 hotrods/outlaws
are you planning to produce these, or is it a one off for yourself?

Fantastic can't wait to follow progress. How do you get all the pushrods up to the valves for the four cylinders?

Regards martin

THanks Bob for posting

very interesting.
Pushrods????:thumbsup:

That was a good one.

It´s a chain driven overhead camshaft. The holes are just for the oil return pipes, for this three should be plenty.
The camshaft case could be made up the same way as the crankcase(weld is done in the center of cyl 2).
The more interessting question is, what about crankshaft and cams. Need to be done on a on off basis.

TOM

If only. That would be something to behold and make buying a 917 kit a must!

So frankly, my bank manager is hoping that no one ever does it!!

Am sure a couple of 3.2ltr flat six`s could be put together, would need a lot of custom bits and bobs making for it mind, that can be my next project!!

Sorry to say it Mark, you had better talk to your bank manager!

There is already a flat 12 running out here manufactured a similar way.

My cams are in work as we speak, crank should start shortly once the block has been fully machined. We manufacture horizontal fan bits already so i will modify the design for these shortly to allow for the longer crank case etc. Mecanical injection pump is being stripped and readied for reco.

Tom, we trialed about 3 blocks to get the most accurate way of fixturing to allow for the shrinkage of the magnesium while welding. Shrinkage between bore centers from one end to the other varies by about 0.1mm so nominal design components work OK. Yes the cam boxes are manufactured the same way.

And pushrods are......... ?? obviously being pushed..... somewhere...... by Rod...

Last edited:
Wow!

Could you post more pictures of the flat8 being done, and of the flat12 finished???

Maybe not the right place to discuss it but any idea about prices for each?

Thanks
Olivier.

Gents,

I don't know if this is of any interest but I have started to make a flat 8 engine for a 908 replica by wire cutting two 2.6 6 cyl crank cases and welding them to make an 8 cyl crank case. Case now welded and we are setting up to line bore and surface the decks prior to crankshaft manufacture.

attachment.php

Bob,

Fascinated by your developments. The 908 short-tail coupe is one of my all time favorites. Would love to learn more about the motor and complete 908 project.

Best,
Freeman

Is there any news on this project Chris? I am really interested in a 908 project myself and I tried to PM you about it a while ago but got no response

Gents,

FYI crankshafts nearly completed, chassis about 85% . Short tail body, wheels, uprights etc all done..... bit more of a long term project than first hoped.....

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_0658.jpg
    DSC_0658.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 585
  • Picture 463.jpg
    Picture 463.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 561
  • Picture 473.jpg
    Picture 473.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 5,483
  • Picture 462.jpg