Porsche 908/910 project

Bob

Rather than add to Chris,s build thread you should start your own as we will only get to see a portion of your work.

I for one would love to see a lot more of what you are up to,chassis pics and components you have made.

awsome work

Jim

Agree with Jim, I was getting a little confused when I saw your last post Bob, I thought for a minute that you had taken over from Chris on his project. Would be great if you start your own thread and then share in more detail some info on your build.

In regards to Chris' build, does anyone have any info or is in contact with Chris? I was hoping to speak to him about a possible 908 build after my GT40 is finished

sorry guys, as you can tell by my lack of postings, my forum etiquette is not up to scratch. Will start a new post when time allows.

Cheers

Keith

It would have been on his new build post - if there was one - but there isn't. He only made 5 posts, all on the same day and just over a year ago.

Shame, but you could still PM him via this board and ask him yourself.. :)

Hello to every one
As you, may be, know Chris until now what full up of professional responsabilties and had no time to come into the forum to post any news ; things going well for him he will probably have more time to dedicate to the project and as his own chassis is just little back my own one he asked to post some pics to show that during all these months his 908 project was not on hold ...........
Just to let you know ; at the moment several bodyworks have been done and 4 lasercut tube kit where produced .
Chris was very kind to deliver mine end November 2012 and as am a lucky retired man this one is fully achieved and epoxy painted
Welding this laser cut frame was really a very nice job as every tube is perfectly matching one to another and matching to the real factory drawings
As soon as one chassis was assembled we draw all suspension brackets and these are now part I guess of that " chassis unwelded kit" !!!
For sure this type of project have nothing to do with others very professionaly organised kits and require an very important amount of fabrication expertise but as it is the only way to have in house a nice 908 replica !!!!!!! et voila !!!!!
for your eyes : Some pics of what was done in march and some pics of my personal one today
I have taken hundred of pics from beginning to now of this project so if some are interested to watch a WIP this could be done ( beside the fact we are on a GT 40 forum LOL !!!)

Attachments

• avancement 2 (8) - Copie.JPG
    avancement 2 (8) - Copie.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC00370 - Copie.JPG
    DSC00370 - Copie.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:

Keith

That's great news Michel! Looks really good. Will you start your own build thread on here now? (In case Chris comes back)

Would love to see the build up of your iconic machine.

Will you use Porsche flat 6 turbo or N/A?

Hello
I sent minute ago to Chris the link of his restarting thread and he will decide how he desire the build will be shown there or in another new one .
He started this project long time ago and it's thanks to him today that am able to built this so iconic and rare car so it's up to him to decide how to follow the thread .

Yes ( not being a milionaire and 8 cylinders being rare rare rare !!!) indeed
the engineis an 6 cylinder but as I decided, when starting the project after meeting Chris ,to built a track day car as close as possible to a real , this 6 cyl is an RSR type 3l with mecanical Boch metering and a magnesium slide throttle injection system ( which is very very close to what 8 cyl had)

Last edited:
Mine is underway as one of the four being built. Lots of bits found and lots of help from original owners. Michel's build is going great and at a great pace. Visited him twice to deliver parts and get lots of help. Great project which has really grabbed my interest. I will be using a 3.0 SC motor with Jenvey fuel injection which is being sorted and dyno'd as we speak. 915 gearbox which is much lighter than the G50 and will have a flipped crown qwheel and pinion to keep it the right way up. Hope to get stuck into the build soon but have a Piper GTT to renovate first. I will probably start my own build thread when I get underway. Anyone want to but my Southern GT40 which is now for sale.

Hello Martin

Hope your chassis is in good progress !!
Did you receive the updated tubes for the rear frame section ?

yes you are right 915 gearbox is the best choice ; as promised during your last visit I will send you some notes of how to proceed to flip correctly the crown wheel pinion and how to modify slightly the case if installing and Quaife LSD

That Michel is a work of art, beautiful. I've been following Chris' build very closely as the 908 to me is the prettiest of all Porsche's and I tried contacting Chris about supplying a 908 chassis and body but never got a reply. Martin told me that he was not planning on making/selling anymore which is a real shame because he has done an amazing job. If either of you ever decide to give your projects up, give me a call, I'll remortgage the house if i have to :)

Keep up the great work

Hi Guys
I'm back, as a typical bloke I have had to concentrate on one project at a time, so I have finished the 3 and half year restoration of my hotel and shops whilst pushing the 908 project forward in the background.

Michel please post your build here.

Regards

Chris.
PS. Trev S sorry I missed your mail.

he has done an amazing job. :)

Keep up the great work

Thanks
You're right ; bodywork is perfect and you can have it thick for road use or light as I choiced for track purpose , the gelcoat is so well done that you can quite have it as the final coat and just polisch it !!!
I don't know if Chris will provide more ; he was probably tired to reply to too may curious people but unable to afford such big project and he was wasting too much time at phone for nothing !!
May be try again ? but as said previously be aware that this is a project for skilled homebuilder . 908 is arare car and until no one like RCR or any serious builder kit will not have this model produced you have to built or source any single part by your self
Just ask to Martin how many time we spend to find some dashboard switch or even source correct diameter front head lights !!!!!
Fortunatly most important parts are available as said , bodywork , frame cut tubes , suspensions brackets ,heated windscreen E type, superb hubbs and uprights strictly identical to the real ones , wheels absolutly identical to original ones !

Attachments

• 908 Uprights assembled.JPG
    908 Uprights assembled.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 506
Looks a lovely job Mic, wish my workshop was that tidy!!!

Ha ha Hello Chris
That marvellous worshop it's not mine ; I am guess at a friends Pro workshop in memory of all Le mans races we did together and because he is happy to please to his customer watching the project with acup of café !!!

My 908 project started when my grandsons asked to built for them this car they had in love and it started on my little chalet!!!!

Attachments

• Chalet ouvert - Copie.JPG
    Chalet ouvert - Copie.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 422
Some bits I've got towards the build.

Attachments

• P1000393.jpg
    P1000393.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 460
  • P1000397.jpg
    P1000397.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 448