I honestly have never heard of such a thing. No way to prepare for or really anticipate. Luckily it didn't get too out of hand.

I suppose I have already been taking steps to make this not happen. It's called "Oregon".

I thought the Gearz episode this morning on SLCs went well. Stacey David's video crew did a good job of representing both Will's blue SLC and my my yellow SLC.

We finally got our 10 minutes of fame!

rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1662-slc-minions-small.jpg

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread, when I start on mine in 3 months it'll be invaluable. Also definitely plan to purchase your book so I can have easy access to everything and may get it printed for a hard copy.

I was going to start a new thread on this, but it seems you have plenty of experience with info-tainment. I'm a long ways from installing electronics, but already know electronics will be the most fun of the build for me. While I'm waiting on my SLC I was already digging around for something to use as a headunit and as you've covered you're limited depth behind the dash. I came across this which will actually fit depth-wise, but have a feeling the screen may be too big. Is there enough width/height on the dash to fit it?

If not, at least we know they do make something that seems feasible to fit on our dashes....just need to locate a smaller screen version.

For VW 9 inch Head Unit Android 4.4 GPS Navigation Car Stereo Radio Bluetooth | eBay

VW%20Android%209in%20Headunit.jpg

That's a nice looking head-unit and the dimensions look like it will fit the center binnacle.

If this will be a street car, you will need a rear-view camera. Will this unit display a rear view camera?

There is really quite a lot you can do while waiting for your kit to arrive, that will significantly shorten your build time. In fact, the first 37 pages of my SLC Car Builder Journal discuss what you can be doing right now. For example, pull together your drive-train and have it ready when your kit arrives. This alone can keep you occupied for the next month or so. You will need to buy an engine, buy a transaxle, buy the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel combination to marry it all together. Then perform modifications to the engine such as reversing the intake manifold, probably modify the accessory drive to re-position the alternator, modify the water pump outlet, modify the engine electrical harness or buy a new one, get the ECU flashed, start building the exhaust header, etc. By doing the above while waiting, I had my complete drive train installed within a week after my kit arrived and started it in the first month.

Scared yet...Don't be. Its a lot to do, but its fun and people on this forum are here to help.

Here is a link to my -> SLC Car Builder Journal

BTW, the reason I made it a Kindle ebook is that its well over 300 pages with 500+ photos and expensive to print.

Good luck on your SLC!

Last edited:
That's a nice looking head-unit and the dimensions look like it will fit the center binnacle.

If this will be a street car, you will need a rear-view camera. Will this unit display a rear view camera?

There is really quite a lot you can do while waiting for your kit to arrive, that will significantly shorten your build time. In fact, the first 37 pages of my SLC Car Builder Journal discuss what you can be doing right now. For example, pull together your drive-train and have it ready when your kit arrives. This alone can keep you occupied for the next month or so. You will need to buy an engine, buy a transaxle, buy the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel combination to marry it all together. Then perform modifications to the engine such as reversing the intake manifold, probably modify the accessory drive to re-position the alternator, modify the water pump outlet, modify the engine electrical harness or buy a new one, get the ECU flashed, start building the exhaust header, etc. By doing the above while waiting, I had my complete drive train installed within a week after my kit arrived and started it in the first month.

Scared yet...Don't be. Its a lot to do, but its fun and people on this forum are here to help.

Here is a link to my -> SLC Car Builder Journal

BTW, the reason I made it a Kindle ebook is that its well over 300 pages with 500+ photos and expensive to print.

Good luck on your SLC!

It does have a reverse camera, so may work out good. Once I get to that area, I'll definitely be looking closer and I'm sure more stuff will be available by then too.

I have your build journal saved in my wish list, I need to go ahead and purchase it really... no need in waiting. I don't own a kindle but do have a tablet and computer in my shop, can I view it on there? Ideally I'd love printing a hard copy of it, for whatever reason it's alot easier for me to use that way.

I do have a question I've recently come across while reading this thread. I saw the stuff on gearz and read that you got the Gentleman's seat. On TV you don't look like you really needed it, so I'm wonder why did you go that route or are the regular seats smaller than normal seats? I'm 6ft at 180lbs and just assumed I'd fit in a regular seat, but now I'm wondering.

I forgot we can't edit posts... What I forgot to mention is I have yet to order my engine and engine wiring. I did go ahead and get the fuel system, Graz, clutch kit, etc with my kit though. Depending on my speed of stuff the build, after 12 months I plan to order my engine, likely LS3 but prices on LS7 may go down too.

I did purchase you journal though, there's no doubt it will be of great value now and later. It'll give me something to read before bed. I do have a couple SLC related things going on...
- Within next couple of days I'm fixing to order stuff to build another (3) 4ftx8ft work benches that will be along the shop wall of the SLC bay. These will be dedicated for the build and the other 5 already in the shop can be used for miscellaneous projects and/or SLC items.
- Ordered a single Dakota tail light so I can play around with how I can go about retrofitting them later.
- Have a shark fin already for measurements and looking for a camera that will fit inside it without looking funky yet give good resolution.
- Planning out my favorite part of the future build, the electronic goodies that I want.

I forgot we can't edit posts... What I forgot to mention is I have yet to order my engine and engine wiring. I did go ahead and get the fuel system, Graz, clutch kit, etc with my kit though. Depending on my speed of stuff the build, after 12 months I plan to order my engine, likely LS3 but prices on LS7 may go down too.

I did purchase you journal though, there's no doubt it will be of great value now and later. It'll give me something to read before bed. I do have a couple SLC related things going on...
- Within next couple of days I'm fixing to order stuff to build another (3) 4ftx8ft work benches that will be along the shop wall of the SLC bay. These will be dedicated for the build and the other 5 already in the shop can be used for miscellaneous projects and/or SLC items.
- Ordered a single Dakota tail light so I can play around with how I can go about retrofitting them later.
- Have a shark fin already for measurements and looking for a camera that will fit inside it without looking funky yet give good resolution.
- Planning out my favorite part of the future build, the electronic goodies that I want.

I hope you enjoy my Kindle book Car Builder Journal: RCR SuperLite Coupe. There is a free downloadable Kindle Reader app for Windows, Apple, and Android. The reason its a Kindle book is because its BIG with lots of pictures, details, part numbers, etc. The last time I printed it, it was over 300 pages and the printing cost was $130.

During a shop tour at RCR, I tried the standard seat shell and it was too narrow for me. I'm 5'11", 200lbs, and big boned. My wife tells me I have a "healthy butt", which is a polite way of saying it ain't narrow :shocked: I couldn't get my hip bones into the seat, much less the fleshy parts.

Besides, you never know when Kim Kardashian might ask for a ride and need that extra room.

Kim-Kardashian-Booty.jpg

Be aware that the shoulder wings on the gentleman's seat will not fit on the passenger side, so you will need to trim the shoulder wings off the gentleman's shell.

I hope you enjoy my Kindle book Car Builder Journal: RCR SuperLite Coupe. There is a free downloadable Kindle Reader app for Windows, Apple, and Android. The reason its a Kindle book is because its BIG with lots of pictures, details, part numbers, etc. The last time I printed it, it was over 300 pages and the printing cost was $130.

During a shop tour at RCR, I tried the standard seat shell and it was too narrow for me. I'm 5'11", 200lbs, and big boned. My wife tells me I have a "healthy butt", which is a polite way of saying it ain't narrow :shocked: I couldn't get my hip bones into the seat, much less the fleshy parts.

Besides, you never know when Kim Kardashian might ask for a ride and need that extra room.

Be aware that the shoulder wings on the gentleman's seat will not fit on the passenger side, so you will need to trim the shoulder wings off the gentleman's shell.

Don't know why I don't get notified via email for updates on your thread, I just have to go check every couple of days...

I'm coming up empty, but need to do more searching to figure a way to print it. I could probably print 50pgs a day at work once I figure out how. I just built a computer for my shop and go figure for some reason I'm having issues installing the kindle program. Very odd for sure considering it's not a big program and have no issues running CAD or 3D stuff on it.

It sounds like I may fit in the standard seat, but know my present weight may not stay the same over the years so definitely need change it to the Gentleman's seat for sure. I may as well do the the passenger side, while my wife is about half my weight I'd like to be able to take people for rides or maybe let my brother drive it but I'd definitely want to be there with him driving, lol. I actually forgot you had trimmed it by the time I got to your finished pictures on this thread. I'll have to go back and read, but looks like you just matched wings on both seats so everything looked proportional.

For the record I there's no way I'd ever let Kim Kardashian even get close it, that whole family and TV show disgusts me for some reason.... Especially Bruce, lol. :thumbsdown:

I have received several requests for a printed copy of my Kindle book Car Builder Journal: RCR SuperLite Coupe. I would be willing to do a group buy and hopefully reduce the printing cost through volume.

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Don't know why I don't get notified via email for updates on your thread, I just have to go check every couple of days...

I'm coming up empty, but need to do more searching to figure a way to print it. I could probably print 50pgs a day at work once I figure out how. I just built a computer for my shop and go figure for some reason I'm having issues installing the kindle program. Very odd for sure considering it's not a big program and have no issues running CAD or 3D stuff on it.
:

I just checked my G50-20 transaxle, and the throw-out bearing is pressing against clutch fingers in the rest position. It feels like there is about 5-10lbs of residual pressure when the slave cylinder is at rest. I think there should be a small gap between the throw-out bearing and clutch fingers.

If the throw-out bearing is even slightly pressing against the clutch fingers (in the rest position), the bearing will spin constantly and wear out prematurely. At least, that is true for American muscle cars, and I assume there should be a similar gap in a G50 as well.

Has anyone else noticed that their G50 throw-out bearing is constantly pressing against clutch fingers?

If so, how did you correct it?

I'm quite sure that is normal. You want a little pre-load on your throwout bearing which is designed to spin when sitting in neutral. It's all part of the normal wear and tear for the bearing. If you didn't have that pre-load the bearing would be rattling around creating all sorts of noises. You can verify this by trying to compress a slave cylinder by hand without connection to the hydraulic lines. There is a built in spring that provides this constant load. You can try looking up some porsche blow up diagrams of the slave also to verify the existence of it.

You do inspire an interesting thought however, how does that pre-load force compare to what is spec'd for the LS motors? There have been some reports of engine thrust bearing damage from the GTM folks. Bob Cleveland here may have been a victim as well. Could there be a mismatch between the amount of pre-load force between the porsche and Chevy engines?

I did quite a bit of googling on this topic, but found only 1 reliable hit that said "There is no adjustment" for that G50 transaxle.

Just to be sure, I stopped by a local Porsche repair shop and they confirmed that there should be a little spring pressure on the throw-out bearing when relaxed. The throw-out bearing is built to spin all the time.

Not that I doughted you Mark, it was just so counter to what I had always seen.

FYI: The Power Nation TV series invited me and my yellow SLC to appear on their program. I traveled a couple weeks ago to the Power Nation studio in Nashville, TN and shot the video. Power Nation is a 2 hour block of time when the following 4 gear-head programs air (30 minutes each):
  • Detroit Muscle
  • Engine Power
  • Xtreme Off-Road
  • Truck Tech
Each week, Power Nation features a car and its builder during the commercial breaks. That's where my SLC and I fit in. The fellow in the black shirt is Tony Kutas of Charlotte Speed Shop. He did the paint and his interview will be included as well. You may recognize Katie Osborne in the middle. She is the host of Power Nation.

Power Nation airs on the Velocity Channel each weekend. My episode will air sometime this Summer. I'll let you know when I get a solid date.

rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1--picture1671-power-nation-1e.jpg

That's awesome Bill.
Looks like you've been displaying your car recently. Did I see pictures of it at the Caffeine & Octane on the Beach and then Charlotte? Getting lots of good exposure.

That's awesome Bill.
Looks like you've been displaying your car recently. Did I see pictures of it at the Caffeine & Octane on the Beach and then Charlotte? Getting lots of good exposure.
Yes, I drove my SLC over 500 miles from Charlotte NC to Jekyll Island GA to attend the Caffeine & Octane event. I was interviewed by 2 of the TV hosts and the show's video crew spent quite a bit of time covering my SLC, so I think it may appear on the Caffeine & Octane TV show as well.

Back