SLC 001 Build

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Rob! I don't follow the forum that closely anymore but I'm thrilled to see that your dream is coming closer to reality - it has been a LONG road! You have put an amazing amount of effort into the build and I have no doubt you will have the most amazing SLC out there. Well done my friend!

Dave L

DLindemann - it took awhile for me to be able to report back to you on this (ha ha), the clutch works great!

In the process of tracking down the oil leaks around the pan I noticed I had not been able to tighten the oil lines enough due to limited access. Had to re-appropriate a common box end in order for it to serve a higher purpose. No more leak there, although I do have the main culprit as of yet unresolved. Got it clearly identified, with a little effort should have it sealed up next week.

Note: I have not finished terminating all wires.

Attachments

• 20141003_160654_resized.jpg
    20141003_160654_resized.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 433
  • 20141003_151944_resized.jpg
    20141003_151944_resized.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 20141003_152008_resized.jpg
    20141003_152008_resized.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 424
Rob, I first read your build thread when i signed up over a year ago and after reading most of the other build threads for SLCs have come back and re-read it again. I'm damn near emotional trying to express my wonder and amazement at the breadth and scope of the custom work and how well you have tackled a first edition kit. I'm stunned by your tenacity, generosity of sharing, and your skills showcased here. Thank you for an unbelievable build thread and if you ever run out of local volunteers; i'm willing to fly down from Seattle. Looking forward (that doesn't really cover it) to the rest; i'm sure it will be epic.

OK got a little something to talk about. Been away, and away from the build for awhile but now should be ready to do some damage over the holidays. Intercooler radiators, finally here.
And there was much rejoicing.

Attachments

• 20141204_180605.jpg
    20141204_180605.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 466
  • 20141204_180642_1.jpg
    20141204_180642_1.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 443
Rob,

I've been away for longer periods than present to build! Again....I've moved back to Lone Oak (4 moves in four years)....just finished the last bit of moving today! Fortunately, I sent the car to Martin before all of this so soon I can get back on schedule.

Hi Rob
Just had a quick flick through the build thread and looking forward to having the time to do it justice but have to love what I see. Thanks for putting me on to it and I will follow it from now on.

Cheers Leon

A question on carbon fiber sheet in another post reminded me of this carbon dash cover work, cut to spec. Not the most modern of knobs, I will keep my eye out for better looking ones for sure.

Attachments

• 20140316_132318s.jpg
    20140316_132318s.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 702
Great job on the dash!

I see the right control stalk is missing.

Is that a custom steering column cover as well?

Great job on the dash!

I see the right control stalk is missing.

Is that a custom steering column cover as well?

Thanks.

I pulled the right stalk because it was seriously blocking the center display, plus with the small wheel it looked way out of place.

Yes, the column cover was scratch made, details are available earlier in the thread if interested.

On the intercooler radiators, i dont understand why the tubes are so small in the radiator? Are you running a water cooled intercooler? Thats what I have but my intercooler had 3 inch holes for the boost piping.

The dash looks great, very nice job.

On the intercooler radiators, i dont understand why the tubes are so small in the radiator? Are you running a water cooled intercooler? Thats what I have but my intercooler had 3 inch holes for the boost piping.

I think those are the engine water radiators. From the previous posts it appears he is running split radiators ahead of the rear wheels rather than a radiator in the nose.

It appears to me that he is indeed running water cooled intercoolers. Those are the radiators to cool the intercooler water. Lots more involved than air to air.

Water intercoolers - I was frustrated to find no one that I talked to had a formula for proper cooler size when it came to these parts. All said "as big as you have room for". These may be overkill, particularly because the internal supercharger heat exchanger is relatively small. Seems like it may have been (some) waste of space in an already tightly packed engine compartment.

Switches- Yes they light up and are on a LED dimmer. I am really looking forward to when I can light up all the interior at once. It is done in an all red theme (like my Audi) including the overhead. In test I found it near impossible to read anything in red light so there is a white overhead light as well.

Back