Team QRP

Congratulations Chris. I know you have spent a lot of time and money getting to this point and you should be proud of your achievement. The car is fast, and these last couple races have really shown us where we are lacking with the GTM. Thanks for making us work harder and go faster! :)

Team QRP and the Blue Mistress will be racing at Buttonwillow on June 7, one sprint and a 3 hour day/night enduro. Come on out and hang with us.

fernando

Lifetime Supporter
I've been following with interest. Any east coast races in your future, mid atlantic maybe?

thanks,

Fernando in VA

Team QRP is headed to Buttonwillow with NASA SoCal for a sprint and a three hour WERC enduro tomorrow June7.....stay tuned for results and the feedback on a surprise shoe.....

Fernando - we have kicked around the idea of bringing the Mistress east, maybe 2015?

Team QRP didn't grab the results we wanted. We lost fuel pumps in the sprint race, so installed spares and prepared for the 3 hour endurance race. Due to a little snafu on grid, though we qualified p2, we went out 16th. It took new shoe Ben Anderson only 12 laps to grab the overall lead however by lap 15 he was reporting fuel starvation issues, killed second set of pumps. We dumped some ice on them and took off the belly pans and I took it out for a few laps, ran great to start but only 2 laps and the issue was back. Diagnosis, rethink the pumps and get some more fresh air to them. It was 100 degree ambient at Buttonwillow and we'd not run the car in heat like that with the belly pans on. On the bright side, we have a crack crew who just break their a$$e$ to make this car go and Ben having only seen the track the day before and never sitting in the Mistress until race day he was quick, consistent and took care of her in traffic.

Next up we're doing a weekend of sprints at Laguna July 26-27 with NASA. Always been on my bucket list so I'm excersing my owner priviledge. Thanks to QRP, Superlite, HAWK, Hoosier, Rigid and all those who support our efforts to drive in circles.

we went out 16th. It took new shoe Ben Anderson only 12 laps to grab the overall lead

Wow, very impressive, Ben must have been taking them out in groups!

I am sure you are going to be flooded with pump questions. Mine would be what type pumps are you running? submersed or dry? My thinking would be a submersed pump would run cooler.

External pumps. The Fuel cell provided with the SLC has an access plate that is in front of the motor under an aluminum panel.

If an internal pump failed, the engine and transmission have to be removed to access.

Not an option.

With full belly pans, the heat from the headers and the ambient was just to much for the pumps.

We have a plan.

External pumps. The Fuel cell provided with the SLC has an access plate that is in front of the motor under an aluminum panel.

If an internal pump failed, the engine and transmission have to be removed to access.

Not an option.

With full belly pans, the heat from the headers and the ambient was just to much for the pumps.

We have a plan.

How about something like the following: The Radium piece is not cheap but looks the part - it's not inexpensive.

Fully Enclosed FP34 044 Fuel Surge Tank - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

Multi-Pump Fuel Surge Tank

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Sorry to hear of your fuel pump woes...

Its possible to duct/pump cool air onto the pumps similar to NASCAR with their alternator...

We were using a Holley twin pump instead of the a twin bosch/walbro pump setup.

We had run the twin bosch/walbro type pump setup for years on another car and decided to do a different option with the holley twin. The thought was to just switch to the second pump in the housing if one failed. Simpler install.

When overheated neither pump produced any pressure. So am not sure yet if it is the internal check valve or the pumps expansion tolerances when hot are the issue. A tear down will be in order.

We may move back to the two bosch/walbro pump setup and add lots of cooling.

Sometimes you have to try something new and simpler. That's racing..

Had a great weekend of racing @ Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca last weekend,
our first time there. Chris had never seen the track & had to learn it under racing conditions, not easy. This was a combined norcal/socal event, so the best completion of the year. Made some tweaks to the car that all seemed in the right direction. Good , hard racing all weekend, lots of fun!
Thanks to Chris & all the crew for their hard work.

Here is the start of Sundays race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfX6Rg1W-BA

Back