Team QRP

Nice. Great to see you get a few traffic-free laps after clearing the two other classes. Any idea what the best race lap time was?

Was the Camaro trying to drive defensively in the first laps to block you? I'm not so sure of his line selection there....

Tim

I've been staring at that air intake box. How's it working...good? and does it draw it's air strictly from the rear deck openings just lower of the rear "faux" window/vents.

It was brought up twice about the engine being down on power - what did it turn out to be - curious minds. -- Mike

Very impressive and thanks for posting. With a buddy just ordering his 991 GT3, this helps me keep focused of moving away from production based "track cars". Obviously your sweat labor replaces most if not all the coins between the two, but operator cost and truly impressive build skills can't be overlooked.

Nice. Great to see you get a few traffic-free laps after clearing the two other classes. Any idea what the best race lap time was?

Was the Camaro trying to drive defensively in the first laps to block you? I'm not so sure of his line selection there....

Tim

Best race lap was a 1:43.682 very close to qual of 1:43.614, not bad for traffic.

Camaro was overdriving, blocking and cooking off his rears, it wasn't a long term plan.

I've been staring at that air intake box. How's it working...good? and does it draw it's air strictly from the rear deck openings just lower of the rear "faux" window/vents.

It was brought up twice about the engine being down on power - what did it turn out to be - curious minds. -- Mike

Air box works great, yes just drawing from rear deck, it wasn't running out of air, was wanting more fuel, increased the pressure to get the numbers we wanted at WOT, was a tick lean. We fixed a small exhaust leak, changed fuel filter, cleaned injectors and rechecked tune parameters. One or a combination of those things fixed her up.

Team QRP will be racing this weekend at Thunderhill, including a 4 hr. enduro on Sun. Good opportunity for preparation for the big 25 hr. race in Dec.
We will have our 4 drivers for the 25 hr. race on hand to get some laps in the car.
They are Chris Durbin , Darrell Anderson, Mike Skeen, & Tim Bell.
We will be racing some sprint races too on Sat & Sun. Everyone is welcome to come out & enjoy some SCCA races with us!

Our first SCCA race was a great success. Everyone had fun, car was faster each session.
Mike Skeen ran the SP (super production) races on Sat/Sun. Sat Tim Bell qualified at a 1:52.6 (1st time in car), made some changes for the race, Mike finished 1st in SP, second overall to Darrell's 700hp Mustang. Mike gave us some great feedback on the car.
Sun, qualified at a 1:46.8 after some major gains by the crew. Won Overall by large margin. SCCA races use the longer track, over the "Crow's Nest" over 2 sec slower than the "bypass" we use for the 25hr. and the 4hr on Sun
1:46 is a new track record in SP.
Scrambled to get the car ready for the 4 hr endro that afternoon. (ran 4 sessions in the morning). Qualified on Pole, but missed the grid, as we ran so much in the AM, Tim started the race in the back & passed 15 cars in the first lap (up to 5th!) took a few laps, but passed the Radical for 1st place a few laps later. Had him back it down a few notches as he turned a 1:45.9
Had some fuel delivery problems crop up, (because we were running the car harder),so ended up making 5 pit stops in 4 hrs,
Mike got in the car & ran a 1:45.362 on his 3rd lap (fastest for race), then ran another 1:45.362, 3 laps later!
Could only go about 30 min before car would stumble, got Darrell in, did a solid run in the 1:48s.
Finally poor Chris got to drive his car (first time all weekend) for the last 30 min of race, got right to 1:49, before I asked him to slow down so we could make it without pitting again.
Ended second overall, first in Sports Racer Over 2 liter, 2 laps behind the Norma (SR under). We were registered in Production class, some reason they changed us to Sports Racer?
Anyway, without the 3 extra pit stops, we would have won overall.
3 races, 3 class wins, 1 overall, 2 second overall, not a bad showing for the "blue mistress" third weekend out. Thanks to every one who came out & helped, Chris will give his take when he gets home to Pittsburgh.
Don should have some video up soon too.

Thanks to Ted, Don, Mike, Tim, Darrell, Darrell's dad, Cary, John, Scott, Hill, Adam, and Matt.

Ted's race report was right on.

Our goal for this weekend was to bring together the team and do a walkthrough for the 25. Get all the drivers as much time as possible in the car which is why I went last. Bring some more crew that we've collected along the way and have them learn each other. I met Hill, who owns Agile auto in Baltimore, and his guy Adam at Summit point in the summer. We had a couple conversations and they were interested in helping out. So I thought these east coast guys would be challenged to fit in. Introducing them to team, well they had done business with Scott and John, blew my mind. Small world for us racing lunatics.

So in short. I was impressed by how the pro drivers jumped right in and checked their egos to give great feedback and keep the fenders on the Mistress. The crew worked together seamless cause unknown to me they'd worked together before. Certainly we have some small hurdles to overcome but we are in good shape this close to the 25.

Announcer puts mic in my face after the race and asked for my thoughts. I said these guys built and prepped such a good piece that it was easy to do my job as a driver cause it was just 'right'.

He says man of few words. It was that simple to me. I'm proud to lead this team. There are no weak spots. Still work to be done but we're set to take on what's shaping up to be one of the strongest fields to date in north Americas longest race.

Thanks again to everyone who makes this thing go.

Questions: 1st video at 2:20 what was Tim passing?

2nd: For us in the building/designing stages, how much horsepower are you now making after the few hiccups? I certainly don't want more. Funny hearing myself say that as my GT2 has over 600 and I could use more in it :)

Thanks for posting, impressive !

Back