Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Hi all

Still working on the Anglia, getting it closer to be ready for the bodyshop. If you want to read more on the build I've started a thread with info and pics on the Anglia owners club forum here

Here are a couple of pics as it looks now. Just needs the lights and mirrors removing now and some mechanical work and it will be ready to be sent off

http://gt40builder.com/image-dump/anglia/anglia41.jpg
anglia41.jpg

http://gt40builder.com/image-dump/anglia/anglia42.jpg
anglia42.jpg

Trev

Rear fibreglass light pods

Back to my GT40 build and I went up to Gelscoe today to pick up a pair of light pod panels I asked them if they could make for me. The Tornado tail has the single large rear brake light unit but I prefer the pre 1965 twin lights. Rather than trying to source a new tail these panels will be cut and then the same size panel removed from the Tornado tail and grafted in.

build-may5.jpg

Hi all

I am finally back on the GT40 after a month or so out to get the Anglia ready for the bodyshop. Today I fitted the radiator and test fitted all the pipes to make sure everything fits ok. I also finished making the steering coupler cover using an old ford gear gaiter which has come out really well.

build-june2.jpg

build-june3.jpg

The next jobs will be to work around the front bulkhead area and finish off panels, covers etc ready for powder coating and then everything can be fixed into the car more permanently.

It's nice to get back on the GT40, I sometimes find it very frustrating but I did miss working on the car

Trev

Bit more progress tonight. Had to take the radiator back off, steering rack out etc to fit the panel that will cover the steering rack. The next job is to make a removable cover for it and then remove it for powder coating

build-june5.jpg

I also spent some time wrapping the radiator in some sheet foam to protect it while it's being put on and off the car

build-june4.jpg

Dont forget the two take off points in the main water pipes for the heater / air con unit, easier at the front near where the heater is going ( less flexible hoses )

Also the rad appears to have only one outlet at the top.
This single outlet will be needed for the small -3 bleed back to the expansion tank in the engine bay.
You will have to also use this as your air bleed point, as you WILL have air locks.
I have outlets on both sides and found this usefull

Last edited:
Tonight I put the rad back on the car again and then made a card template for the removable panel cover at the front. I think I am about done for now on this area as the steering is all done, just waiting for final assembly and the radiator too. I think the next thing to do is fit the front anti roll bar to check it doesn't foul the removable cover then the shocks and brakes. Then I will come back to the cooling later when I fit the air con and heater.

build-june7.jpg

build-june6.jpg

It's getting there....

Been looking at the radiator today and how to mount the fans. The original plan was to simply push plastic ties through the radiator core to secure the fans. However some people have suggested fitting the fans to the radiator by welding on some brackets to the radiator casing reducing the riskof damaging the core of the radiator. A few people have also said that fitting a shroud will help make the fans work better to draw the air through.

With all that in mind I've decided to make a shroud that has brackets fitted to it along the top and bottom. I mocked up the shroud today in cardboard. This will be made out of sheet aluminum and then be welded onto the casing of the radiator

build-august1.jpg

build-august2.jpg

Trev, are you sure welding to the rad' is best? Why not brackets to where the rad' mounts to the uprights? Keep the load off of the alu' radiator.
Just a thought, Bill

Trev, are you sure welding to the rad' is best? Why not brackets to where the rad' mounts to the uprights? Keep the load off of the alu' radiator.
Just a thought, Bill

Thanks Bill, I've been getting similar suggestions from another thread. I've now reworked the design so that the fans brackets will remain welded at the top and bottom of the radiator as I don't think this will stress the radiator any more than the plastic ties do. Then I plan to use the same mounting bolts that hold the radiator to the chassis for the shroud. This will allow me to easily remove the shroud for maintenance work and as you say reduce any further load on the radiator. Here is a diagram of the lastest design

shroud.jpg

Been away for a few days on holiday so not had any chance to finish the radiator work. However I did manage to pop over to Tornado today and pick up some nice new shiny parts for the car. I've got my shocks, springs & anti-roll bars and I couldn't resist putting the shocks on the car to see what they look like.

build-august4.jpg

build-august3.jpg

Bit more progress today. Fitted the rear anti-roll bar and started marking up the front for where the brackets will be fitted and checking the size of my removal panel. It's all looking good, next job will be to fit the springs to the shocks and also to try and get the two rubber bushes to fit into the front lower wishbones. The hole is tiny and the bushes are quite solid. I tried putting washing up liquid on them but I can't see them fitting through. Any ideas?

build-august5.jpg

build-august6.jpg

Back