"Vigilante 6.0 Vengeance" project

What gearbox code is it?

One of the 01E's would probably fit but I think (if you have the box I'm thinking of) would move the driveshafts rearwards (and up).

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
What gearbox code is it?

One of the 01E's would probably fit but I think (if you have the box I'm thinking of) would move the driveshafts rearwards (and up).

Hi David,

I will have to find out. Engine an box is still at the shop. I'm picking it up on the 1st when I pay the balance. I'll give them a call in the morning to find out what code it is. It is the matching box for that rs 4 though.

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi David,

Don't know if this is the right code but the salesman told me as far as he knows it is a 3P14.

Cheers
Jackal

That's not it, I'm going to guess that you have a BNS engine in which case it'll be 0A3, codes HLD or JHM.

I heard that the 0A2 is possibly the 2wd version of the 0A3 but it's only (I believe) rated to 380Nm which isn't enough (0A3 is 450Nm).

The 2wd OTOH 01E would be up to the torque of that (BNS is 420Nm, 01E is rated to 450Nm), I'm not 100% sure it's a straight bolt on but most Audi boxes are so it should be.

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanx David. I think I must go there and have a look myself. Only about 40 min drive. So I should be looking at OTOH 01E 2wd. Which Audis had these boxes?

Thanx for all the info.

Cheers
jackal

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
David's got a file on his build log with a list of audis & gearboxs

Was very helpful for when I got mine :)

Thx James. Maybe he can sought me out too. What project did you do?

@ David........ Lol sorry mate I am not familiar with all the abbreviations! Aaah duh! @ me!

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi David,

I read a description of the BNS RS4 gearbox. They mention there that 80% of the power could be on a specifc half shaft during cornering. Has anyone tried using this box? I also read that the Porsche 944 is a good box to go for. What is your views on that? I'm worried with the 01E, that the gear ratios will be wrong for the RS4 engine. I see that the 01E seems to be for a TDI. Is that correct? The RS4 revs 8000rpm.

Thanx for the help!

Regards
jackal

How is the torque split done? Is it through the cheap LSD method of braking the faster wheel?

AFAIK the front gearbox isn't fitted with an LSD, only ever the rear (certainly that's the case in our Mazda 6 MPS [Mazdaspeed6 to you]) and I'm pretty sure its the same for all the Audi's.

The 01E is not just TDI but it's most common I think attached to the 2.5TDI, it's available in different ratios although they get rather rare for some of the versions.

944 is 016, very simply no. Don't bother, go 911 (G50) if need be but the 016 is much weaker than the 01E as stock.

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks David. I definately have a OA3. I picked up my engine, box and other stuff today.

Attachments

• 2012-07-02 15.13.13.jpg
    2012-07-02 15.13.13.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 2012-07-02 15.13.19.jpg
    2012-07-02 15.13.19.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 390

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
On another note..... I have just gone through my 4th orbital sander. :( Guess I will purchasing another tomorrow.

I have contacted aan used spares guy in Jo'biurg for a 01E. He will get back ro me in the morning.

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
It seems that the 01E TDI is the better box to go for. higher 5th & 6th gear. I'll be looking for that.

The box in Jo'burg is an automatic box. I want manual. So I'll continue sourcing.

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Ok. I bought a 01E (1998 model A6 - 2.8 V6) 5 speed box. The dealer is sending the box from East London to Cape Town, should have it on Monday.

Thx again David for all the helpfull info.

Cheers
jackal

Glad to see the bits and pieces coming together. Lots of others have had good luck with the 01E. Here in the US seems all the bigger engines came with 4WD and the diesel is not as popular so the 2WD stuff is harder to find.

---Doug

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi David,

Not sure what code yet. Was suppose to receive the box on Saturday....nothing, so now I am worried I've been had. Will be on them like a bad rash today.

Back