What Year SS Calipers?

In the process of breaking my calipers down to get some powdercoat. I saw this morning that some left the pistons, dust boots and seals installed, but other forums remove them. May have wasted my time, but it won't hurt at least.

I need to get some rebuild kits, what year SS are our calipers? I also have to get a new crossover tube for 1 of my fronts as well, it was kinked and I didn't noticed when I painted it since I left them on.

Thanks for any help!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
My powdercoater insisted on nothing but the bare caliper. Looking at the durability of the seals, it appeared the paint melting temperature was at the marginal level for some seals, and unless the seal material is known, many coaters don't want to chance ruining the seals.

My powdercoater insisted on nothing but the bare caliper. Looking at the durability of the seals, it appeared the paint melting temperature was at the marginal level for some seals, and unless the seal material is known, many coaters don't want to chance ruining the seals.

That makes sense. I didn't even bother to ask mine before breaking them down. I considered splitting the calipers in half, but alot of the people keep them together and would rather those bolts match.

I'm having issues sourcing a new crossover line. Only found 1 place that makes some, and they're unavailable. I'm sure I could probably get one bent up, but wanted to purchase 4 new ones that have the isolator on them as well. Sort of figured this was an off the shelf part, but apparently not.

I actually had previously prepped and sprayed mine with high temp paint not long after I received the car. Figured it was the best time since they were empty. I felt like it would have held up awesome, though white would have been hard to keep clean.

Finally got around to dropping off my QA1 springs to get powdercoated and was going with white to match the color I had planned. Then took a hard detour for a different color scheme since my wheel's powdercoat doesn't match and knew I'd have to get them redone anyways. I think the new color scheme I'll be more happy with and still be very understated, other than the orange bits.

For anyone looking for rebuild kits, I found these guys. Very cool people and very helpful, definitely can recommend. They carry StopTech seals and dust boots so I don't have to be concerned with some generic ones.

Replacement Dust Boots And Pressure Seals | Ohio Performance Solutions

Also breaking the calipers down is not near as intimidating as it seems, I painted originally because of that and I had planned on powdercoating eventually after the car was officially painted in case I changed my mind.

If you know for sure the color of the car and accent color you want, highly recommend powdercoating, it will hold up considerably better. If you need any info on breaking down these calipers, I'm glad to help.

Joel K

Supporter
Also breaking the calipers down is not near as intimidating as it seems, I painted originally because of that and I had planned on powdercoating eventually after the car was officially painted in case I changed my mind.

If you know for sure the color of the car and accent color you want, highly recommend powdercoating, it will hold up considerably better. If you need any info on breaking down these calipers, I'm glad to help.

Thanks Del, I would definitely take the screws/bolts out before painting aor Powder coating. I’ll circle back to when that time comes. Expecting my kit in early fall.

I believe I used one of the top guys available for powder coating calipers, with his resume including SEMA cars, and he does not breakdown the caliper to powder coat them. The temperatures the calipers are under with high use is higher than that used in the powder coating process, according to him.

Just a thought for others looking at this as for their build.

Attachments

• Brakes.jpg
    Brakes.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3053.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 357

Joel K

Supporter
I believe I used one of the top guys available for powder coating calipers, with his resume including SEMA cars, and he does not breakdown the caliper to powder coat them. The temperatures the calipers are under with high use is higher than that used in the powder coating process, according to him.

Just a thought for others looking at this as for their build.

Thanks Mark they look great, is the Brembo Logo painted on afterward or some how both the base and the logo are powder coated?

The base color coat was applied and cured, the logo placed on it, then clear powder coated. It was a multi step process. I have Brembo brakes on my Ferrari and on my 911. These brake calipers look at least as good, if not better.

When I dropped mine off yesterday, they verified mine were broken down. Anyone that needs to rebuild their calipers, here's the StopTech parts list:

28mm (28 mm) High Temp Gray Silicone Dust Boot, Part Number 750.99000, QTY 4
28mm (28 mm) Pressure Seal, Part Number 753.99000, QTY 4
32mm (32 mm) High Temp Gray Silicone Dust Boot, Part Number 750.99012, QTY 4
32mm (32 mm) Pressure Seal, Part Number 753.23411, QTY 4

40mm (40 mm) High Temp Gray Silicone Dust Boot, Part Number 750.99005, QTY 4
40mm (40 mm) Pressure Seal, Part Number 753.99005, QTY 4
44mm (44 mm) High Temp Gray Silicone Dust Boot, Part Number 750.99007, QTY 4
44mm (44 mm) Pressure Seal, Part Number 753.99007, QTY 4
7.5 mL StopTech Pressure Seal Lubricant in squeezable dropper bottle (do not use on dust boots!)

Price was $112 total.

Joel K

Supporter
The base color coat was applied and cured, the logo placed on it, then clear powder coated. It was a multi step process. I have Brembo brakes on my Ferrari and on my 911. These brake calipers look at least as good, if not better.

Thanks Mark

I've always wondered what kind of vinyl they use for calipers when doing the clear? I know lots of people do it, but normal decal vinyl isn't able to withstand the 400 degrees and even high temp vinyl is only good ~200 or so.

I know caliper decals are all over the place for regular calipers and are probably fine since likely don't get all that hot (least too often) compared to what our cars can/will get.

Back