Americas Cup

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
They take a licking and keep on ticking......................

Oracle +33

They are now even at eight races each!

Without the two penalty races, they would........

I have noticed that starting some time last week, Oricle is now sailing with a pronounced bow down angle.

Where both boats were sailing with their hulls level or slightly up at the bow, Oracle is now trimmed out bow down. With that, they have also suddenly gotten much faster both up wind and down.

One thing that trimming down the bow would do is move the center of lateral resistance forward, kind of like moving the mast forward or the boards aft.

They may have had a balance problem, it seems to be working!

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Yahoo!

Oracle +27 seconds. In a first to win 9 races AC competition........

USA...........................9 wins

New Zealand...............8 wins

Without the two race penalty, it would be over.

Now on to today's second race.............

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Good God,

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

If you are not watching you are really missing an incredable event!

Brian, I don't know what to say. For a country like New Zealand where sailing is king, this must be awful. I truly do feel bad for you guys:( I remember watching Dennis Connor lose that last race to Australia2, I sat alone on the sofa and cried.

In the second race, NZ won the start and lead at the first two marks, then Oracle, foiling UPWIND passed them and ran away, winning by 54 seconds.

The next race decides The Americas Cup!

We'll be heading back to the City Front, can't miss this one!

Last edited:

Brian Stewart
Supporter
There is a distinct feel of gloom here in NZ Jim, but got to hand it to Team USA. They have really got their act together.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Amazing come back bt America- and now healmed by a Pommy!

BBC said this morning that he had retrimmed the American boat and gets it to sail in a nose down attitude.

Strange but it certainly seems to work!

I wish they were broadcasting it in the UK

Ian

Steve

Supporter
I thought you guys applauded success and riches in the USA?

We used to. Now we like to punish success and shame those people back to mediocrity:lipsrsealed:

Actually, I'd like to think we still reward and applaud success (and yes, the riches that come with it) but no one likes an arrogant prick. Especially a rich arrogant prick who has a face that could gag a maggot...

IanAnderson I wish they were broadcasting it in the UK Ian[/QUOTE said:
Ian
They are running highlights programmes on BBC2. They keep slotting the programmes in as the regatta continues. Next one should be 1.30 pm on Thursday.

Steve

Supporter
Steve, don't be so hard on yourself, your not that bad looking.

Well, since I'm certainly not rich and not overly arrogant there's no way I could be talking about myself.

Having said that, while the maggots are safe, "not that bad looking" might be kind.:thumbsup:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, but Lazarus had nothing whatsoever to do with his.

I'd still like to know what the gallopin' clang the "O" boys changed on their boat that made the overnight difference.

Mayhaps a visit by a Voodoo witch doctor?

Back