Conspiracy?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
FWIW, I think the conservative point of view is very poorly and inaccurately represented by Fox. The conservatives deserve a superior forum for their ideas. There are more left-leaning news outlets, some of which I think are pretty good, and some of which suck. A good example of one that sucks, just to give one, is the Baltimore Sun. Or the Washington Post. I wouldn't housebreak a puppy with them. I think the NYTimes is better. And, as I said above, NPR, which I do listen to fairly often, periodically drives me nuts with either inaccuracies or just plain lousy reporting.

What Fox needs- really needs- is some competition from a news outlet that doesn't specialize in hysteria and pot-stirring.

Incidentally, for overall accuracy and lack of bias I'd nominate The Economist. Kind of dry, though.

So now you are saying you doubt that anyone was misslead by the missleading fox graph!

You mean no one outside of you and Pete?

Jim, if I took a blank piece of paper and arranged percentages at random heights, could you understand it?

9.1%....
...............9.2%...............................................................8.7%

......................10.3% .........8.6%......... 8.7%......... 8.3%

...............................9.0% ...........8.5%

What represents the most recent percentage?

Jim, if I took a blank piece of paper and arranged percentages at random heights, could you understand it?

9.1%....
...............9.2%...............................................................8.7%

Well Jim?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Tom,

I'm not sure what your point is, but as I posted earlier:

"A chart is used as it gives an easy visual referance, making it so at a glace, you can tell the trends".

It appears that you have posted random numbers in a random order, with random spacing. Certinally a glance at your numbers reveal nothing.

Where a glance at this chart makes it easy to see that unemployment is declining.
us-unemployment2011.png

Your point is?

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
But a chart manipulated by someone with an agenda often only reveals how stupid the chart maker is!

Fox News Makes the Best Pie Chart. Ever.

<!-- end meta-bar -->
app15725951258947184.acq6gmp0hf4sowckg80ssc8wg.2xne1totli0w8s8k0o44cs0wc.th.png

Lets see, that makes 193% of the people............they can't loose!

Last edited:

9.1%....

My point is to answer a simple question.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Gee Tom,

There is not enough information to answer your "simple" question.

It appears that you have posted random numbers in a random order, with random spacing. Certinally a glance at your numbers reveal nothing.

Why don't you explain it to us.

Last edited:
Domtoni, I really though you were smarter and more obsevant than that!

Its the last space on the chart, from October to November, the unemployment rate declined to the lowest rate of the year, when a number declines, a chart line should show a decline. In this case it should be below the lowest previous point on the chart in March.

Dom,

The Fox chart does not go down!!!!

Domtoni, if they had just used numbers, there would be no problem, but they chose to show a chart.

A chart is used as it gives an easy visual referance, making it so at a glace, you can tell the trends.

Fox used a chart that missreprisents the trend, thats a lie.

Domtoni, if you glanced at the Fox chart, would you know that the unemployment rate had dropped to the lowest point of the year?

When you look at the BLS chart (in white), there is a steep downward slant.

Fox chose to ignore the downward slant as they do not want you to think that things are getting better under Obama!

Domtoni, Tom, did they teach you about chart reading when you were in school?

They say that folks who watch Fox are not too smart or observant, it appears that they are right.

Jim, the Fox chart shows increments of 1% while the other chart shows increments of 0.1%. The numbers are the same in both charts. Fox showed the 1% chart to make its point. And you are showing the other chart to make your point.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni,

One more time, pay attention, it's not that hard, it all has to do with the October to November line.

This is the Fox chart THEIR OCT TO NOV LINE IS LEVEL, IT DOES NOT GO DOWN! Even though the rate declined from 9.0% to 8.6% (lowest of the year) between Oct & November!

foxchart.jpg

This is a correct chart, do you see that the line between Oct and Nov goes steeply down?

The unemployment rate went from 9.0% in Oct to 8.6% in Nov, Domtoni, that is down!
The Fox chart does not go down, the correct chart goes down steeply
us-unemployment2011.png

Domtoni, if you took a quick look at the Fox chart would you think that unemployment was at the lowest point of the Year?.............. No you would not.

Thats the Fox lie, they do not want you to think things are getting better, do they?

Am I the only one who is suprised at these folks inability to understand this very simple situation?

Last edited:
Gee Tom,

There is not enough information to answer your "simple" question.

Why don't you explain it to us.
Charts are normally read from left to right, so 8.7 is the simple answer. Quite a quandary, act stupid or admit you're wrong. I see you picked stupid, thank you.

Domtoni,

One more time, pay attention, it's not that hard, it all has to do with the October to November line.

This is the Fox chart THEIR OCT TO NOV LINE IS LEVEL, IT DOES NOT GO DOWN! Even though the rate declined from 9.0% to 8.6% (lowest of the year) between Oct & November!

foxchart.jpg

This is a correct chart, do you see that the line between Oct and Nov goes steeply down?

The unemployment rate went from 9.0% in Oct to 8.6% in Nov, Domtoni, that is down!
The Fox chart does not go down, the correct chart goes down steeply
us-unemployment2011.png

Domtoni, if you took a quick look at the Fox chart would you think that unemployment was at the lowest point of the Year?.............. No you would not.

Thats the Fox lie, they do not want you to think things are getting better, do they?

Am I the only one who is suprised at these folks inability to understand this very simple situation?

You would pick the lowest number! Where did you go to school?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You would pick the lowest number! Where did you go to school?

What do you mean, pick the lowest number?

I received an AA degree from Canada College (71) and a Bachelors degree from California State University, Sacramento (74).....................How about you?

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Can anyone help me here.........................................

I have tried and tried to explain this to them, but I have failed.

I think we can all see why Fox is sucessful, the average Fox viewer will believe anything they are told and defend anything Fox says, no mater how absurd!

What do you mean, pick the lowest number?

I received an AA degree from Canada College (71) and a Bachelors degree from California State University, Sacramento (74).....................How about you?
Jim, you are really not this dense, on your Fox chart, the number to the right, the latest number is the lowest number. It could have been a higher number but it's not, it's the last number and is 8.6.

Jim, people don't care about the chart, they care about the number, and both are the same. And the line (if you look a bit more closely) stops around mid - October.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It absolutely is the number and although Fox did use the correct number, they chose to show the numbers in chart form.

Charts are used because they put the numbers is a visual setting. What ever the chart is representing, be it a stock, a business or unemployment.

With a chart, a quick look can tell it things are getting better or getting worse.

The problem we have here is Fox chose to show the statistics in chart form, anyone looking at that chart would not know that unemployment was at the lowest point in two years!

If it was just a mistake, those things happen, but Fox has a long history of doing anything or saying anything they can to make Obama/Democrats look bad.

This was not a mistake, all networks have extensive visual computing programs that do these charts automatically!

Someone went to a lot of trouble to modify that chart to missleading folks, the certainly suceeded with Tom, Domtoni and Pete.

You guys should be angry, we should all be outraged, not defending them!

That is dishonest and someone should be fired!

But judging by past actions, they probably will get a promotion.

Last edited:
Back