Conspiracy?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Geeez, another, yawwwwwn.

Now when asked to prove what you say, you become tired and bored?

Gee Tom, you have said several times that Fox is no different from the "Main Stream Media", you say they show bias, give missleading information show missleading charts, lie and make up stories, just like Fox.

Tom is that true?

I know you have looked for a story, any story that could prove your point. How's that working for you?

Just in the last couple of weeks, Fox has posted Obamas picture instead of Romneys (on purpose), Talked about Romneys "best friend" and then ran the wrong clip, making it apear that Obama was Romneys "best friend" (on purpose), and then this purposly modified chart, missleading you and others about the unemployment rate. An that just the last few weeks, there are many many more....................

So after looking you can find nothing that ABC, CBS or NBC have done in a similar fassion.

So Tom, the evidence is in, ABC, CBS and NBC are nothing like the liers at Fox, are they?

I bet you are supprised, because Fox always told you that they lie and you just believed them!

I bet you are angry at being played the fool once again!

Last edited:
Tom, you posted this a few days ago, Outside of MSNBC who lie just like Fox give us some recent examples of ABC, NBC, CBS, bias, lieing or just making stuff up.

You say it "happens quite often", then it should be easy for you to post a few!

The MSNBC blurb on Chicago Progressive radio by either Ed or O'Donnell, says:
Government knows how to get us out of the economic problems we are in because they did it once before.

Now, let me ask, is this an accurate statement? And if so, then why didn't government get us out of the economic problems and have unemployment back to 7%?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think Jim Craik is correct in what he says- the graph posted by Fox is misleading. I also think the numbers involved are within what we would call the normal variance from month to month. I realize that the stock market goes up and down based partly on these numbers, but I think that's superstitious and over-reacting. What the graph tells ME (and I agree with Jim that Fox is distorting the data, no surprise there from a bunch of practiced and accomplished liars who do it for a living) is this: unemployment hasn't really budged for all practical purposes in at least two years- perhaps a slight decline, but not the kind of meaningful slope downwards that would indicate steady growth of employment and decrease in unemployment.

The two graphs posted on the previous page are quite informative, if you look at them. When I was in school, we read a book called "How To Lie With Statistics". My impression is that political figures memorize this book in their cradles; each of them has nice big charts that just happen to neatly illustrate their point of view and happen to make their opponent(s) look like idiots. Imagine that. The whole idea of statistics is to try to bring some objectivity to arguments about phenomena that can supposedly be quantified. Sadly, most people are just enough versed in statistics to be misled by them. It's a shame.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Jim, that means a lot, to me.

Of course You are right, the change in the unemployment rate is negligible, but that was not the point.

It makes me wonder why they even bothered to make that chart in the first place. I too remember the "How to lie with statistics" book, from Statistics 1A class, a real classic! It might be fun to read that one again, it was fun the first time.

Anyway, thanks again, how's your 40 going? I hope the weather lets you take her for a dance from time to time!

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, I'm very disappointed with you, you are very conservative, but for the most part you are a straight shooter.

But you defending a "news" service that purposly lies to the people....................

Very disappointing.

I'm not defending any form of media or news service, they all have a way of never screwing up a good story by reporting the truth. I do not trust any of them. But the numbers on both the charts are the same. Give it a rest for chrissake.

Hi,

An interesting view from the outside, which in my opinion confirms both the Jim's points .

My name is Nathan Yau. In a previous life I was an electrical engineering and computer science student at Berkeley, but now I'm a UCLA PhD candidate in statistics with a focus in data visualization.

In a nutshell, I want to make data available and useful to those who aren't necessarily data experts; I think visualization plays a major role in this.

Charts and graphs are great, because they can let you see a pattern that you might not see in a spreadsheet, but they only work when you use the actual data. Fox News isn't doing themselves any favors by putting up this chart. It shows the recently announced drop in unemployment rate to 8.6 percent as a non-change.

The November rate is lower than the March rate of 8.8 percent, but it's shown to be higher in the Fox News chart.

"In a heated argument we are apt to lose sight of the truth." -
Publilius Syrus
1st century BC

Last edited:
This thread started about a conspiracy of Fox trying to bury Romney. Being conservative myself, I find this interesting. Romney is not a conservative as maybe he could be, but he certainly would do a great job as president. He is probably more electable than others as the media available today and the lame general public must have a president that looks good on camera. It really doesn't come down to politics for many in this country, it is how carasmatic an individual is. I think a good ticket would be Romney for president with Gingrich as vice. Gingrich is not carasmatic and cannot be elected on that basis, but he certainly is brilliant and can think on his feet.

I feel that the only reason that Obama became president is that he appealed to the young voters that wanted to be part of something big. He looks good on camera, but he has shown he is hollow and doesn't have an original thought of his own. To many in this country, content doesn't matter.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Hi,

An interesting view from the outside, which in my opinion confirms both the Jim's points .

My name is Nathan Yau. In a previous life I was an electrical engineering and computer science student at Berkeley, but now I'm a UCLA PhD candidate in statistics with a focus in data visualization.(QUOTE)

Nathan, welcome!

Its good to hear from you!

Having someone with an impressive educational background in exactly the area that we are discussing, really helps to drive home the point.

Thanks for adding your thoughts!

Last edited:
Hi,

My name is Nathan Yau. In a previous life I was an electrical engineering and computer science student at Berkeley, but now I'm a UCLA PhD candidate in statistics with a focus in data visualization.(QUOTE)

Nathan, welcome!

Its good to hear from you!

Having someone with an impressive educational background in exactly the area that we are talking about, really helps to drive home the point.

Thanks for adding your thoughts!

Jim,

My fault, apologies I seem to have confused things.

Nathan has no knowledge of this site. I should have put his credentials / thoughts in quotations I copied them from his website as a view from an "expert" on the issue being discussed who has no emotional involvement.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

My fault, apologies I seem to have confused things.

Nathan has no knowledge of this site. I should have put his credentials / thoughts in quotations I copied them from his website as a view from an "expert" on the issue being discussed who has no emotional involvement.

Nick,

Sorry, my fault, I though perhaps Nathan was a friend of yours, that you asked to add his thoughts..............sorry for the mix-up.

But anyway, thanks for your additions to this thread, I always enjoy your posts:)

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni, I posted this:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Jim Craik
Tom, you posted this a few days ago, Outside of MSNBC who lie just like Fox give us some recent examples of ABC, NBC, CBS, bias, lieing or just making stuff up.

You say it "happens quite often", then it should be easy for you to post a few!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I asked for any recent examples from anyone BUT MSNBC, then after searching, you only find and post an MSNBC article!

MSNBC and Fox are both liers, do not waste your time and our time with "sources" that cant be believed.

The MSNBC blurb on Chicago Progressive radio by either Ed or O'Donnell, says:
Government knows how to get us out of the economic problems we are in because they did it once before.

Now, let me ask, is this an accurate statement? And if so, then why didn't government get us out of the economic problems and have unemployment back to 7%?

Dom, please give us some recent instances where ABC, NBC, CBS knowingly aired missleading or un-true information!

Last edited:
Jim, thanks for at least admitting MSNBC is less than honourable. I don't follow the main stream media, so I can't comment on your question. But when I am in the USA and do watch them, it is very limited so I can't comment. Now, no one has set up a website like Media Matters to follow and criticise the main stream media.

Nick,

Sorry, my fault, I though perhaps Nathan was a friend of yours, that you asked to add his thoughts..............sorry for the mix-up.

:)

Jim,

No worries.

I don't know Natham from Adam, I just wanted to find an opinion from an unbiased independent expert on the subject.

Of course to be honest if I had found one that supported Fox's graphs I would have ignored it.

Funnily enough I couldn't, us dammed commies obviously even have total control of the bloody Internet ;)

Last edited:
Back