F1 2009

Malcolm

Supporter
F1 is surely the quickest race series .... to repeatedly lose credibility in the eyes of its fans. This is just plain old pathetic and does nothing about a new year being a new start to potentially a very interesting series. When Frank talks of Alonso winning, or others, initially you can't see it really happening but you know, maybe he has a point!

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Heard on the BBC this morning - Maclaren engineer resigns over Hamilton debacle - cant find a link on the beeb yet tho.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave Ryan - Team Manager (Sporting director??)
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-ryadav.html
Been in the team since the 70's.
A Nice guy - A New Zealander?
Mr Whippy (Whitmarsh - Rons acolyte ) will be making a statement about now
but Dave has packed his bags and will be on the first available BA /MAS
service to LHR tonight.
Who will replace him?

Last edited:

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
dont be silly, David - my local lollipop man can hardly move out of the way for local cars on the school run - let alone F1 cars.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I could be wrong but I think Mike Negline will step up to the post vacated
by Dave Ryan. Malcolm - yes - I heard he'd been sacked but suspension
seems more in keeping.
Dave

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The rain:sad:

It was a good race until the heavens opened. I'm amazed that Bernie doesn't understand that you can almost guarantee a storm around that time each day at this time of year.
If the race had started at 2pm the race would have finished before it struck.
The Great God of television must have its way though.

Last edited:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Pity it was so short as there was some great racing with plenty of passing. I was amazed at some of the decisions being made with tyre choices..... Once again Nick Heidfeld is the luckiest man in F1, not on the pace at all, carrying 1 million gallons of fuel, they pit once, 200m before pit entry to swap to inters the heavens open and he carrys on to 2nd.... Even with 4 stops the Brawn was still the fastest too, amazing.

I wonder how long before the rest of the field are sporting dual tier rear diffusers?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
As I understand it Bill, the Brawn diffusers are an integral part of the chassis and have been crash tested. Which is how they got past the rule book. It means the other teams will have to build a complete chassis and have it crash tested. Bolt on bolt off diffusers not allowed, so it could be awhile.

Keith

As I understand it Bill, the Brawn diffusers are an integral part of the chassis and have been crash tested. Which is how they got past the rule book. It means the other teams will have to build a complete chassis and have it crash tested. Bolt on bolt off diffusers not allowed, so it could be awhile.

Plus the major stumbling block of a budget and testing limit. That's why they are trying to get it kicked out because the other teams will not be able to redevelop a new chassis within those 2 constraints this year...

Brawn has surely stolen a march.. Back to the Chapman days!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE class=tborder id=post138546337 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_138546337><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->BRAWN/Diffusers: "I Offered To Tidy Up Rules, Got Rejected"
<HR style="COLOR: #666666; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #666666" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->FROM AUTOSPORT:

Rivals teams rejected an offer from Ross Brawn to tidy up the technical regulations 12 months ago, and head off the possibility of double decker diffuser designs being adopted.

While the row over diffusers continues to overshadow the sport, ahead of a hearing of the FIA's International Court of Appeal in April, Brawn has revealed that at a meeting of technical directors last March, he proposed modifying the rules to ensure that proper limits were introduced on areas teams could exploit.

"In March 2008 that was offered," said Brawn, when asked by AUTOSPORT about the matter.

"If I'm frank I didn't say 'look we are going to do this diffuser if you don't accept this rule' because I'm not going to tell people what we're doing, but I explained that I felt that we should have a different set of rules to simplify what needs to be done.

"I offered them and they were rejected, so my conscience is very clear. And those rules that I put on the table would have stopped a lot of things. It would have stopped the diffuser, it would have stopped all those bargeboards around the front, and it would have cleaned the cars up.

"Because it was clear that when we started to work on the regulations that there were things that you could do, and we needed to perhaps clean them up, but nobody was interested. They are interested now."

Brawn GP has been protested, along with Williams and Toyota, at the opening two races of the season for the diffuser design that rival teams do not believe are legal. The stewards at both the Australian and Malaysian Grands Prix, however, have stated that they believe the designs are within the regulations.

Despite what happened with the offer to change the rules last year, Brawn says he has not been frustrated by the protests, although he has expressed some disappointment at critical comments aimed his way by Flavio Briatore.

"I don't like some of the comments some of the other team principals are making but they are uneducated and uninformed so if they looked at the facts then they would realise that," he said.

"But I have always tried to wear two hats. One is what is good for Formula 1 and I wear that hat for a certain period, then I take that hat off and I wear the 'what's good for my team' one be it Ferrari or whoever it is.

"For sure there are periods when I am very happy to say what is good for Formula 1 and that is the period a year to 18 months before you start doing a car. What's the best thing to do?

"When we get in to designing the car and actually creating it, you can't go back then and say 'oh we have found this great new feature I had better stop it', its a different hat you have to wear.

"And everybody in F1 I hope does that. When there is plenty of time you try and get the rules in the best shape you can, and when the rules are decided you have to go flat out in producing the best car you can within those regulations."
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Malcolm

Supporter
Sums up a perfectly fair position to me! I like seeing the old order mixed up. Long may it continue. Maybe the other teams should be grateful Brawn didn't put in a female driver for publicity and money. Just think, if they had found a good female driver (quite likely one does exist somewhere) that would have caused even bigger ructions by now!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Sums up a perfectly fair position to me! I like seeing the old order mixed up. Long may it continue. Maybe the other teams should be grateful Brawn didn't put in a female driver for publicity and money. Just think, if they had found a good female driver (quite likely one does exist somewhere) that would have caused even bigger ructions by now!

Malcolm, not DDDDanica...:heart:

Attachments

• danica-patrick-4.jpg
    danica-patrick-4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 275

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Here we go again:rolleyes2: The FIA are really out to get RD it seems.

McLaren acknowledges FIA World Motor Sport Council appearance

McLaren acknowledges receipt of an invitation to appear at an FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting in Paris on April 29, received this afternoon.

We undertake to co-operate fully with all WMSC processes, and welcome the opportunity to work with the FIA in the best interests of Formula 1.

This afternoon McLaren and its former sporting director, Dave Ryan, have formally parted company. As a result, he is no longer an employee of any of the constituent companies of the McLaren Group.

ENDS

The rain:sad:

It was a good race until the heavens opened. I'm amazed that Bernie doesn't understand that you can almost guarantee a storm around that time each day at this time of year.
If the race had started at 2pm the race would have finished before it struck.
The Great God of television must have its way though.

Bernie walks around in his own little world these days.... when he suggested that the race should be run at that time he was told about the weather issues and light issues... and Bernie being Bernie chose to completely ignore them, apparently it was better to have live race coverage at an appropriate time for europe (screw the rest of the world) than to have a complete race. :furious:

Back