McLaren M20#73

Back now...I caught a virus that stuffed me for 6 weeks, hence very little was done in that period, but into it again.

A long block Dart 427 SHP LS Pro next power adder engine was ordered a couple of months back, I wanted 1/2” head studs and Dart won’t be manufacturing any till mid May, so I’ve had to wait. (nearly there :) and if you jokers in the States think prices are a bit steep.....to get the parts down here to NZ, we basically double the US price. A crap NZ dollar (thanks Labour Govt). Extortion for freight, then 15% GST on the lot plus a bit more cause they can. I’m better now...

A change in tack on the Power adder. Was going to do turbos, but I'm just impressed with Prochargers due to their simplicity and power. A forward facing Procharger F1A94 with no intercooler, on a 10 rib belt. Plenty.

An Aviaid LS-D 4 stage dry sump kit was also ordered and is currently jetting it’s way to me...

I’ve just completed tacking all the front a-arms, springs and brackets and is ready to get professionally welded. I would normally do the A-Arms but welcome to the the modern NZ where Regulation rules. The Fuel tank and Roll Hoop will also follow suite when ready.

Just working out the dimensions for the Titan steering rack, should be able to order that next week.

That’s all for now.
Andrew.

Attachments

Last edited:
...A change in tack on the Power adder. Was going to do turbos, but I'm just impressed with Prochargers due to their simplicity and power. A forward facing Procharger F1A94 with no intercooler, on a 10 rib belt. Plenty.
It'll be more progressive in its torque delivery with that set-up too - probably a significant benefit when trying to harness that much power in a road racing application. Looking awesome. Cheers, Andrew

One step forward, one back..
The LS427 is on its way from NY -> CA. Then will be shipped to Wellington. I'm betting a month at least.
The Aviaid LS-D Dry sump has turned up, nice..

Having a few issues with the engine flywheel. I got the dry sump bellhousing from Albins which is designed for the 104T 10.44" flywheel and 7.25" clutch. This drops engine and Transaxle down low which is what I wanted. Only problem is Tilton don't make a 104T 10.44" flywheel and starter for a 6 bolt LSX style crank bolt pattern. The Tilton flywheel#51-4478 153T 12.75" and Super starter #54-40012 is the smallest diameter setup that might work. (looks like the setup in Wolfgangs M1) Might be contacting Albins for a replacement bellhousing but I will wait till the motor gets here and confirm. If anyone can put me onto a 104T 10.44"flywheel, 7.25" clutch and starter that will fit, I'm all ears. I can't believe I'm the first to fit this Albins ST6M setup to an LS.

Good news, after few more conversations, it wouId appear I can weld my A-Arms, Tank and Roll hoop. As long as the MSNZ build principles are adhered to, for a track only car I should be ok. I'm happy with that.

Titan steering rack is also ordered. 5-7 weeks......

Last edited: