name the aeroplane part 2

Keith

They build some very interesting warbirds do the Chinese. Many of them are blatant copies of Migs other notables including SU27 Flanker, and F16 but with their own twist.

What I find interesting is that their electronics seem highly advanced and better than the Russians but that is only a subjective view.....

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Here is one boys, looks about your vintage David?

Attachments

• Im not silly..jpg
    Im not silly..jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 220

Keith

That's a great call mate (Adolf Galland) I was going nuts trying to remember who he was and at one time i was considering Howard Hughes on a donut diet and figuring that no wonder he couldn't he couldn't get Spruce Goose higher than a couple of feet!

Well spotted mate. As for the 'trainer', well, it's a strange looking A/C that's for sure...

Hmmm not sure it's Adolf now - it's a difficult angle.. also I don't think it's a Link as far too complicated.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
aNYWAY I sort of had an inkling he might have been Canadian. Did Galland wear a bracelet on his right wrist? The cockpit is a mystery (at the moment!) I'm unsure about the hat as well - most Germans wore one that was beige in colour, and his harness seems to be Irving pattern with the chest mounted parachute.
Anyway, he was a bit boss eyed and had a long nose.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
aNYWAY I sort of had an inkling he might have been Canadian. Did Galland wear a bracelet on his right wrist? The cockpit is a mystery (at the moment!) I'm unsure about the hat as well - most Germans wore one that was beige in colour, and his harness seems to be Irving pattern with the chest mounted parachute.
Anyway, he was a bit boss eyed and had a long nose.

His name might be Doug.

Drone,

You are absolutly correct! The planes of Fame Group is located in Chino CA, one of my favorite spots on earth.

Their airshows are great (the have an original Zero with original motor).

But any time its a great place to visit, with lots of rare aircraft and friendly folks!

That is my home base. I hangar my planes ther. I will be at the show on Saturday. Looking forward to it! I think it is a great museum...they fly just about everything. You can easily get a ride in some of those awesome birds.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

You get to keep your planes at Chino, way cool!

What a great place. A few years ago, at the Reno Air Races, I got a great book that someone wrote about the history of the Airfield from WWII training base until today's Warbird center, great stuff!

For some fun, go to Chino on Google Earth and look around the edges of the field, it's full of neat aircraft. And that's just the outside stuff, the good ones are inside.

Last edited:
Don't think it's Galland. His face wasn't as round and he wore a 'thin' mustache most of the time? Also, except for the 262, didn't he fly single seaters most of his career/109s?They wouldn't give him a squadron of Spits, as I recall :eek:)
Twin engine with a gunsight, offset seating (looks like)? ME-110?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I was just looking at Chino on Google Earth.

Anyone want to play "Where's Waldo" Aircraft hunt.

Amongst the clutter and junk, can you find an P80, F104, F86, F89, F100, F105, A4, A6, A7, F4, F14, F7F, F6U, F8U, F9F, NA Fury, Mig 15, 17, Vigen, Bronco, B17, big parts of a B29 and for extra credit there is an old concrete alert shelter where 2 P38s stood ready alert in case the Japanese attacked

Last edited:

Keith

Westland Whirlwind?

Fantastic aircraft - one of my favourites in the looks dept and a top performer in the speed stakes too. Although twin engined, it had a tiny cockpit and was very unlike the outstanding twin motor twin crewed fighter/bomber of WWII - the Mosquito. I think single engined planes like the Spit and the P51 did the job much better. No good as a night fighter either but I suppose they could have modified it to take a tandem crew member.

Whatever, I think it was conceived at a time when prop planes had difficulty getting over 300 mph in level flight.

I don't think they made many and only a few ever entered service.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
John, Keith,

When I first saw the photo, the Mosquito/Whirlwind came to mind, as it appears to be a twin engine, single pilot plane with a full windshield.

I always liked the look of the Whirlwind, big and strong looking. Didn't they also make a long winged photo recon version of the Whirlwind?

(edit) I should Google the photos before I post. The Whirlwind only has a single width windshield, so much for my memory.

Last edited:
Back