Nicks Forte Scratch Build - to Stunning Mk1 GTD

Nick, my floor was in when I got the car, it has caused me two headaches, FWIW:-

(1) there were no straps on the floor for the seat support,... not relevant to you.

(2) At present the tanks are held with straps which are bolted through the chassis, just at the top and bottom of the sills. I want(ed) to drop the tanks down 1/2", one way to achieve this would be to weld brackets to the bottom of the sills (cantilevered out to the sides) the tanks then sit on these brackets which also mate with straps that bolt to the top outside of the sills, but I can't do this because of the floor panels.

NickD

Supporter
Nick, my floor was in when I got the car, it has caused me two headaches, FWIW:-

(1) there were no straps on the floor for the seat support,... not relevant to you.

(2) At present the tanks are held with straps which are bolted through the chassis, just at the top and bottom of the sills. I want(ed) to drop the tanks down 1/2", one way to achieve this would be to weld brackets to the bottom of the sills (cantilevered out to the sides) the tanks then sit on these brackets which also mate with straps that bolt to the top outside of the sills, but I can't do this because of the floor panels.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

What I did was layer my console area for the plumbing.
The lower is the coolant pipes, the cover is lined with a foam heat barrier with reflective foil.
The foam would only be about 10mm thick.
The upper layer is for acon ,wiring and h/brake, it is also lined and it is all a tight fit.
Here is a link to a pic post 27 is assembled and 28 is with the top cover off.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/16127-roaring-forties-105-a-2.html

My cabin is surprisingly cool but I have good ventilation as well.
My leg rests on the console and I don't get leg burn, it worked well.

Jim

NickD

Supporter
Thanks Jim.

I've a good week lined up with lots of panelling and when I get bored of that or fancy a break, going to be building the rear uprights.

Going to be trying out the Flat-Pack I received Today.

Well impressed with the quality of the Pre-Cut and Pre-Folded parts. Lets see how they turn out.

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 918

NickD

Supporter
Must admit, been a little slow for the last couple of weeks, Stoneleigh Show one weekend and Family affairs the next.

Took delivery of the handbrake a short time ago and just getting around to fitting that along with panelling one side of the tunnel to give me something for internal tube supports to be mounted to.

Fuel Tanks coming soon so can get to grips with the Sill tops etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 906

NickD

Supporter
The DeWalt battery drill and the Pneumatic Riveter really earned their stripes this evening. Fitted the drivers side "Right hand" cockpit panel in place.

I've decided to keep all the car panel to chassis riveting at 50mm spacing (like the floor panels), not necessary but aesthetically it looks great, panels sound so solid also.

The corner section where the panels butt joint has a solid 4mm 90 degree ally angle backed with sealant to ensure no water leaks.

Passenger side Tomorrow I hope, if the aches and pains in the arms and back subside ;-(

Attachments

• IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 958

NickD

Supporter
Passenger side now done and a Can of well earned beer in hand. Its slowly starting to take that magical form we all love so much.

Have joined forces with a few other UK based GT-Forte builders who are more or less at the same phase give or take a few months, nice to have chaps to sound out and critique both ways.

Got the passenger compartment panelling in early evening, she is starting to feel very, very solid - not like the old Lotus's I used to have, one sneeze and something would fall off !

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 800

NickD

Supporter
Looks good nick, are you leaving off one side of the centre tunnel so you have access for the pipes, clips, handbrake adjustment etcetera. K

Yep, The passenger side is not attached at all and the top is only on with clekos at the moment.

I should get the pipes down the centre at the weekend but will leave open until I have the handbrake in place along with the remaining items. This bit is still very much a work in progress.

Best, Nick.

NickD

Supporter
Had such high hopes for getting a lot done this BH weekend but alas, only a few hours spent.

Have panelled in the lower centre section of the engine compartment, thought I'd try the panel in black as the rivets give a nice contrast. Also did the offside sill top.

Pedal Box arrived on Friday so am just looking at the positioning. I'm only 5' 5" so will have it a little forward but all seems to fit OK.

Birthday Hols Tomorrow so might get up early and get another few hours in before its Beer O'clock.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 906

NickD

Supporter
Taking a short break from cutting and forming panels etc. and fancied a change of tack. Got hold of some Silent Coat sound/vibration reduction material so am getting the floor pan fitted with that to start with. Will do most areas inside the cabin as the panels go in.

Looks and feels good and sticks down a treat. Easy to cut and form also.

It'll be back to the heavier work at the weekend but feel like I'm making suitable progress and still enjoying every bit.

Attachments

• IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 895

NickD

Supporter
Finally made a few steps forward. Pedal Box now in place along with the Handbrake Lever and the Steering Rack. Making slow progress on the front panelling - the one regret to date being I didn't buy this pre-cut to make life so much easier.

Petrol tanks currently being fabricated and should be available in a week so plenty of work to keep the evenings and weekend busy for a while yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpg
    IMG_2438.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,111

NickD

Supporter
Friday afternoons don't get much better than this. Arrived home to see the twin tanks custom made for a small group of us have arrived from the fabricator and look absolutely super.

That will be another milestone to tick off.

What with the rear uprights to weld up and some more front end panelling, thats the next fortnights spare time allocated.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,010

NickD

Supporter
Just another 1 hours work and I will have the near side front wheel arch fully panelled and sealed. Offside scheduled for Saturday. The one regret I have to date being I didn't go for the Panel Set - decided to do it all myself.

I think in all I have probably spent more on Material this way than buying the bulk of it pre cut. Its satisfying this way but so time consuming.

I decided to spray all the outward surfaces with a stone chip resistant finish once I had the fit I wanted - seems a nice contrast with the rivets.

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 901

NickD

Supporter
Nice work Nick. Where's the hole for the steering rack arm to come through ??

Regards,
Andy

I have the Steering Rack mounts inside so have used them to align and mark the inside of the panels. My cutter will be doing its job at the weekend. As I have made all the panels myself and I wasn't 100% on the positioning, I've put the panels in place so they are firmly held when I cut the metal. Same goes for the front ARB.

Back