What's your Daily Driver?

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
My daily driver (a technological marvel) and blisteringly fast.

Attachments

• 2010-09-04 17.00.24.jpg
    2010-09-04 17.00.24.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 230

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
During the fall/winter/spring rainy season, it's my 1998 Honda Civic ES....GREAT car, ultrareliable, 30+ MPG and great street manners.

During the warmer half of the year, when it's dry, it's my Cobra. I bought one that wasn't a trailer queen b/c I wanted to drive it, not look at it in my garage. I do so every day, it has a few rock chips in the paint to prove it, but man, what a ride to the grocery store!!

Hoping to add a GT40 sometime.......

Cheers from Doug!!

Darnel A.

Supporter
Summers, my daily drivers are a dropped, chopped top '78 Chevy Pickup or '78 Honda CB750 CAFE.

Darnel

Attachments

• 100_3635.jpg
    100_3635.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 216

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Love them both Darnel... One day I'll have another CB750... Hopefully a 69...

Did you chop the truck?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
My daily driver in the winter is either a 2008 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck (my third Toyota pickup- I'd still have the first if someone hadn't smashed it all to s--tby running into me).. or a 1980 Mercedes 280GE. This is a German spec Gwagen which was brought in years ago and Federalized for a man in Oregon. Manual shift, 6-cylinder engines, and the most amazing 4wd I've ever seen. I use it to get to the hospital in the snow and ice- it has never gotten even close to stuck. If you like 4wd vehicles, Gwagens are really astonishing in what they can do- far more than I would attempt.

In the summer, in nice weather, my daily driver is my Kirkham Cobra. Or my old Hatteras 36, which does something none of the cars do- it floats.

2005 Rousch F150 crew 4x4 5.4. Gets 15-16 mpg farten around. 17.9 @ 70 mph, 21.5 @ 60 mph. Best truck I ever owned! 73k on it now and NO problems EVER! Only one recall for a vacuum hose replacement on the brake booster. Tows a 20 Ft enclosed car trailer great, getting about 11-12 mpg not driving crazy. Trailer is 4,200 lbs with 2,400 or 2,800 lb car in it, plus some goods. Would buy another one in a second!!! Just found a 06 Mustang GT 5 speed on Sunday with 38k on it. Super clean with new tires on the Bullet style wheels. Darn thing runs on regular !.............FOREVER FORD

Alternate between 2.0 EcoBoost SMAX and 2.0 EcoBoost Mondeo. SMAX soon to be replaced with the new 200PS diesel, and I'll probably change to the new 240PS Mondeo. Also have access to a Kuga and Fiesta.

Then again I do work for the company and have to change them quite frequently...

Alternate between 2.0 EcoBoost SMAX and 2.0 EcoBoost Mondeo. SMAX soon to be replaced with the new 200PS diesel, and I'll probably change to the new 240PS Mondeo. Also have access to a Kuga and Fiesta.

Then again I do work for the company and have to change them quite frequently...

Brett.... from that list of cars, I would never have guessed that you work for Ford ;)

My daily driver (a technological marvel) and blisteringly fast.
Ron,

I have thought about getting a GTR for a bit of fun.... However, I've heard that running costs (tyres, servicing etc) are astronomical. I'd value your opinion on the matter.

Cheers,

Graham.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sweet truck none the less Darnel... I always thought the cab was too tall on that series truck.. Yours is *perfect*...

Recently bought an EVO 5 recently to try and acclimatise myself and the neighbours before the GT40 is finished, and stretching the daily driver a bit I do use my 1935 Brough Superior at weekends in the summer.

Attachments

• 55_AWB12342607_image1_300.jpg
    55_AWB12342607_image1_300.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Terry Joslin.com 114a.jpg
    Terry Joslin.com 114a.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
An 05 M3 with the Competition Package. I have attempted to replace it with a different car but I simply cannot find a car I like better that is as practical.

Kevin

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Ron,

I have thought about getting a GTR for a bit of fun.... However, I've heard that running costs (tyres, servicing etc) are astronomical. I'd value your opinion on the matter.

Cheers,

Graham.

I have 10K miles on mine and the tires look like their good for another 10k miles at least (I haven't tracked the car). The car is all wheel drive, so tire wear has been remarkably even. New tires are about $1,200, but I want to put a different tire on when they're worn out. When cold the OEM tires are "darty".

The base engine is essentially from a Maxima, so oil changes/filters etc are very cheap (I do that work myself).

The transmission service (every 15,000 miles) is expensive because the fluids are expensive. That runs about $1,100 or so I think (haven't done it yet).

If anything breaks, then "Katy bar the door" because there are some really expensive bits on the car (carbon fiber drive shafts), turbo chargers, titanium gears, etc.

Overall, I think on whole the car is cheaper to maintain than a similar performance Porsche or Mercedes and much cheaper than a Ferrari or Lambo. It gets the expensive moniker because the guy that buys the car stretches from a Maxima or a 350Z and isn't used to that kind of expense.

The car is a blast to drive, but its limits are so far beyond mine that exciting events become somewhat mundane. In my Ferrari 328 a corner at 65mph is exciting because you can feel the car rotate on its axis, etc. In the GT-R that same corner is uneventful, as it is so planted it just goes around the corner.

Ashamedly I know that at 150 it feels like you're running 100.

From stop light to stop light the Launch control is a wizard. I can get 3.6-3.7 to 60 over and over. Just toggle the 3 switches to R, stomp the brake, stomp the gas, release the brake and steer. The AWD makes the car nearly unbeatable to 60mph.

Keith

If you can see it, it's the one on the left in Nato camo pattern.. :)

The one on the right is my sisters daily driver!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Nick,

I have long had my eye on an EVO, what do you think about it?

Tell us more about your Brough Superior. A classy looking ride.

I alternate , was the VW but now my wife is driving 150m round trip , and the TDI gets 40mpg an her Trailblazer gets 17mpg so for now she has it . So now its mostly Big Blue , also a diesel . But the older truck needs love too . Its up for adoption if anyones interested in the The Dragon Truck .

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 0507001917.jpg
    0507001917.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 183
mine one.
In few years will be 100% historical and will get the golden plate from "archivio storico italiano", the greatest autority in certification of pure genuine and original cars in italy.
E36 power, oldtimer bmw's.The ones they are unable to do nowadays for quality

nuovafianco2.jpg

14102010335.jpg

Back