Andrew's GT Forte build.

Keith

Loads of room for a vertical miller, pillar drill and even a 3D printer there AND still house a homeless Somalian family.

You youngsters don't know how well off for space you are.

Luxury...sheer luxury.

That picture was before I filled it up with a pillar drill, two welders, engine crane, engine, gearbox, boxes of parts etc etc etc. :)

Still room for a couple of Somalian families though as since then I've raised it up about a metre.

Congtats Andrew.

You should make a rolling build table , about knee height with storage area underneath.
When the weather is good you can roll it out and work outside.
Plus if you need to rearrange things within the shop its easier to move the car out.

Jim

I was planning to do so Jim, what size is yours.
I am not sure how big or small to go and what height.
Andrew

Andrew,

See my post #28 under "Tornado GT40 in Texas". Those wooden stands have worked out great and were relatively easy to build. I agree you need to be able to move the chassis around in a tight space and to take it outside.

-Bob Woods

This is what I'm using, works out perfectly (ignore the blocks on one set as was still awaiting the castors to arrive).

IMG_7135Large_zps93fc171d.jpg

IMG_7132Large_zps9e44055c.jpg

IMG_7131Large_zps9135895c.jpg

Been a while since i have posted, mainly due to not yet having got the car.
That is all about to change. Car is due tomorrow.

Have been busy, reading, shopping, and spending an obsene amount of money on a 200L compressor and a host of air tools....drills, riviters, grinders and nibblers

Also bought a 72" long stainless steel tool chest to fit all the new tools in !

Garage has been cleaned out and is ready. I have built a build platform on wheels to allow me to move it around the garage.

IMAG0558.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

DSC00461_zps4a5b8dd1.jpg

Will post some more pictures of the parts when they arrive.

Andrew

PS bikes are moving out for a week or two to mates house down the road.

Garage is not as spacious as it used to be !

Sorry, pictures were taken on phone so low res.

Just checking over all the bits to make sure i have all the bits, work out a plan of action and then will start putting it together.

And yes, I have done the normally accepted thing and sat in it and made engine noises.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMAG0568.jpg
    IMAG0568.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 593
  • IMAG0572.jpg
    IMAG0572.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 684
  • IMAG0573.jpg
    IMAG0573.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 690
Finally made some progress with the help of a mate who can't seem to keep away now the car has arrived !

Got the floor pan cut and fitted today which was much more than i expected, but two hands make light work as they say. Was very handy to have someone else there questioning everything i did and double checking all my measurements.

Just sitting looking at the days work with a cuppa and thinking how much more accessible the wheel arch panels are when its upside down, also, fitting the fuel tanks may be easier, so may leave it that way for a bit longer.

Time to go and spend some time with the wife now.

Andrew

PS, Best investment (apart from the kit) was a 200l compressor and an air nibbler and riveter.

Attachments

• IMAG0579.jpg
    IMAG0579.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 602
  • IMAG0580.jpg
    IMAG0580.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 515
  • IMAG0581.jpg
    IMAG0581.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 527
  • IMAG0583.jpg
    IMAG0583.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:

NickD

Supporter
Andrew,

Just looking at the floor of your car brings back memories, (Deja Vous indeed). Bet your well chuffed and the delays are just history now.

Darren might be a little slow here and there but there is no doubting that Chassis. You'll soon have her right side up and will be cracking on.

Have you decided on your Brake's yet ?

P.s Wish my compressor was 200litre, I kinda have to pace things so mine (50litre) can keep up ;-(

Nick.

Andrew,

Darren might be a little slow here and there but there is no doubting that Chassis. You'll soon have her right side up and will be cracking on.

Have you decided on your Brake's yet ?

P.s Wish my compressor was 200litre, I kinda have to pace things so mine (50litre) can keep up ;-(

Nick.

Hi Nick, yes Darren does come up with the goods, and the Chassis looks good.

Not got a far as the brakes yet, but will need to start giving it some thought, probably 6 pots, i just wanted to get bits on the garage floor before i got to far ahead.

200l was worth the extra, I have a regulator stepping down from 10bar to 6 bar, and did all the floor rivets without it coming back on, have to think of the neighbours and her in doors !

Been a bit slow due to other commitments and work getting in the way of the build, but with a little help with the measure twice cut once part of the panels i have made some progress. One side done and i am quite happy that it has gone together ok so far without and c**k ups.

Chassis is still on its back and i have found it a lot easier to do the panels.
Steering rack and power steering motor are in position and look ok, but there ain't a lot of clearance on the steering rack boot as it comes through the precut hole in the panel. Got one more big panel to do at the nearside front and then can do the otherside.

Also not sure how you replace the steering rack (should it ever need it) it the panels are riveted in to place.

Andrew

Attachments

• IMAG0607.jpg
    IMAG0607.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 602
  • IMAG0608.jpg
    IMAG0608.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 566
Back