Chevrolet Engines - Separate?

I'm sure somebody here will know, with the angst associated with GM at the moment, is the manufacture of Chevy engines (the LS series, naturally) conducted by a separate entity owned by GM or is it a direct part of the larger group?

In the event that GM goes under, I'd hate to think they'd take the LS series with them.

The possibility that it could be purchased separately from the wider group could be the saviour for many of us who are limited in engine choice by local legislation.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I wouldn't look for the engines to continue being manufactured if GM goes down...

I also wouldn't worry about finding parts for them as the aftermarket is pretty rich with them and there are millions of them on the roads today. Maybe not millions of LS7's but you get my drift..

Big-Foot,

I know what you mean, but we're limited here to engines no more than 3 years old, with brand new crate motors being acceptable.

If I have to go to a crate motor, the LS383/480 or LSX454 are my picks for a 40, but I'm a long way off. This drama will be long over before I can buy and I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I suppose if GM went down and the receiver got an offer to spin off the engine group or specific assets, they might survive, but who knows whether that's likely or not.

I've long lusted after a P4 but I just can't bring myself to put a V8 in one. Unless a reasonably priced 12 becomes available, I'm going to be limited to a 40 or Lola (not that either is undesirable by any means....)

Well im sure Holden wont fall.... there going stronge and still showing promise on a world scale so id imagine they will go alone and even take the LS with them,im not sure but isnt LS mtrs made in mexico?

GM is making the engines in excess of 1000 per week for a worldwide market which includes Holden and Corvette so I dont think they will be stopping that part of the business or those businesses will have to look elsewhere very very quickly for a new rubber band.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Similar situation happened over here when Rover went down the pan.
Loads of spares for existing stuff still gets made and is available in auto factors.

The Rover V8 (not the world's best) but fitted in all sorts of vehicles was also stiopped but immediately became available from other sources - likewise replacement heads etc.

So I'd expect even if the wrst happens to - GM parts will continue

Ian

Yes Chris i guess Porsch would drop the axe on gear boxes if they heard their boxes were going in GT40 too.Does it really matter What engine goes in as long as its a V8.
Not much of the kit cars are Ford anyway!!!!

Dazpt......That is one of the nicest 40s on this site and not just because you powered it right, But the whole package, Colour, Upholsrey and finish is superb.

The next best of coarse will be Russ's car (we kiwi's have to stick together) speaking of which, Hows the progress going, Russ. I'm away home in 2 days and this time I'm determined to get those uprights done.

Back to the oridginal topic, The after market around all the Chev engines will survive no matter what happens, it is an industry in its own right, you only have to look at Summit Racings site to see how many people are making complete engines. As long as there is motorsport there will be Chevy V8 engine's.
Cheers Leonmac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
My comment was purely tongue in cheek and Darrel posted while I was typing. No disrespect to Darrel's car, which I agree is great machine.

We in the Rest Of The World are fortunate in not having our engine options skewed (screwed!!??) by bureaucracy!!

Leon, progress is continuing slowly, just re-engineering a couple of small things. Thanks for the comment about the car, but it's a race car, think purposeful rather than pretty!

Guys thanks for the complements, Russ no offence, taken love to see your car one day as you are just over the pond. I take my hat of to people such as yourself it was a huge task to build my DRB let alone somthing like your car.

Darrell

Back