F1 in 2012

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Like I said, with a few exceptions, nice guys rarely become World Champion.

That does not mean that I'm not a fan, my heros have always been the racers!

But some folks, very fast drivers, often in the right place to win a Chamionship, are just too nice to do the last little bit needed to win.

As we have seen, there is almost always someone, more than willing to do anything to be Champion.

But Pete, Keith, don't waste your time here, your hero Mr Fechter has got himself in a terrable spot over in the "whining about polotics" section, he really needs your blind support.

Last edited:

Keith

But Pete, Keith, don't waste your time here, your hero Mr Fechter has got himself in a terrable spot over in the "whining about polotics" section, he really needs your blind support.

Fuck me Pete! We've been sussed! :laugh:

Jim don't be silly.

Back to F1. Is it going to rain in Malaysia?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Fuck me Pete! We've been sussed! :laugh:

Jim don't be silly.

Back to F1. Is it going to rain in Malaysia?

With all due respect Keith I'd rather not:stunned:

Jim on what do you base your assertion that Bob is my hero? Because I call him
Bob rather than Mr. Fechter? Or because I sometimes agree with him and not you? Now stop being silly. This is the F1 thread, do you think it will rain in Malaysia?
I do.

Keith

Great drive by Ricciardo in P2. Of course we don't know what the fuel loads were
But the kid is looking cool.

Hope his nose isn't too hard mate, otherwise someone'll post bad things about him in 20 years time :laugh:

Always thought that Will Power should have gone into F1 instead of that penny ante series in the US.

Or even Marcus Ambrose? But he was probably too old with no open wheel background, but NASCAR trucks? WTF?

You had another open wheel protaganist a couple of years back that didn't seem to progress - James Courtney - what happened to him?

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Looks like an F1 thread to me, probably ought to keepit that way.

See Schumi sneaking up the chart??? I don't like the guy but Mercedes seems like it has taken over Ferrari as the no. 3 team.

Lewis looks untouchable so far, .4-.5 tenths on everyone else.

Edit: Power didn't cut it with the one team he tested for, can't remember. Has talent though.

Ambrose isn't in trucks, he is top flight Sprint Cup driver with RIchard Petty Motorsports. Never an open wheeler and it's near about impossible to become late in your career.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that these are regular guys too, World Champions or near-World Champions. Rarely is a figure super successful in a physical sport, and incredibly charming as well. Of course, there are lots of exceptions to that, but not everyone who is super successful in a physical sport is a such charmer. If you think about the regular population, not that many of us are real charmers.

The important thing is that they're good at what they do, and a sportsman. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out by Jim, not all the World Champions were great sportsmen. Some were downright mean and unsportsmanlike in their tactics. Intentionally shunting other drivers off the track is just one typical example. Teams can be supportive of this bad behavior too - co-drivers being directed to shunt certain cars off the track is a not-so-uncommon tactic.

There's healthy competitive sportsmanship, and then there's just plain bad behavior. The former should be rewarded, the latter should be penalized.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Hope his nose isn't too hard mate, otherwise someone'll post bad things about him in 20 years time :laugh:

Keith, lets get a few things straight.

(1) I have always been a fan of Alan Jones. Any posts about Mr Jones personality were at your request!

(2) In a discussion about Felipe Massa, I said that he was too nice a guy to be World Chamion. I then added that World Chamions tended to be more like:

Prost
Senna
Piquet
Schumacher
Jones
Mansell........

You said that was too "harsh", like being lumped in with those guys was a bad thing.

(3) You asked for proof. I posted a quote by Patric Head, team manager when Jones won the WC, "Alan is a grossly inconsiderate person". You said that was no good, as Mr Head could not be believed.

(4) I then posted a quote from Mr Jones himself, agreeing that when he looks back, he is embarrassed by his being such "A hard nosed, belligerent person"

Keith, you asked for proof, I gave you proof. If you are unhappy with the answers or the trend in the discussion, thats your fault.

Now back to Malaysia.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Last edited:
Guys, really? Do you all have a need to dislike one another and jump to the offensive? Just because there are 'quotes' out there, doesn't prove or disprove a bloody thing. Anything you read anywhere, was written by someone who had their own reasons for writing it.

Bulshiters exist to serve a purpose. That purpose seems to be to generate sufficient reasons for other people to take sides for the sake of taking sides.

Some people are just a-holes, others wannabe a-holes and the rest are too foolish to notice.

Keith

Guys, really? Do you all have a need to dislike one another and jump to the offensive? Just because there are 'quotes' out there, doesn't prove or disprove a bloody thing. Anything you read anywhere, was written by someone who had their own reasons for writing it.

Bulshiters exist to serve a purpose. That purpose seems to be to generate sufficient reasons for other people to take sides for the sake of taking sides.

Some people are just a-holes, others wannabe a-holes and the rest are too foolish to notice.

Indeed Mark - Perhaps it sells more books? Makes them feel superior?

It's the Fanboy Phenomena!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mark, Keith, help me out here, just so I understand, are Patrick Head and Alan Jones:

Bullshitters, a-holes, wanna be a-holes or just too foolish to notice?

Now back to Malaysia..........<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Keith

Who do you fancy for this one Pete?

Too difficult to call being Malaysia but it makes a change that anyone of 6 cars could win it...

Mark, Keith, help me out here, just so I understand, are Patrick Head and Alan Jones:

Bullshitters, a-holes, wanna be a-holes or just too foolish to notice?

Now back to Malaysia..........<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Probably allof the above, unfortunately Jim, but I am not well read enough to reliable judge. Suffice it to say, that if anyone of them went on record, it was probably to serve their own causes and noone elses. Whatever that means...........

Malaysia? What's the big deal with Malaysia. JB will win that one too...............

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mark, I'm with you there, I'll be pulling for Jenson Button as well.

From what you said, I take it you are not as well versed in F1 lore as some of us. That's why I was kind of supprised at your comments about Mr Head.

The short version, Patrick Head and Frank Williams started Williams F1 in the 1970s. Frank was the organizer, sponsor getter, and overall business manager. But Frank was not a mechanical guy, he admits to little understanding of that side of the sport.

That is where Patrick Head comes in. He was the engineering guy, he also designed several of their early Championship winning cars and until this year was totally responsibe for the engeneering side of the Williams race cars and at the track race teams.

He has proven to be very good at it. Williams F1 has won 16 World Championships, 9 constructor and 7 driver Championships, as well as 113 Grand Prix races.

For the last 40+years he has been right at the center of GP racing, outside of perhaps Ron Dennis, I can't think of anyone who knows more about the process.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Here is a list of drivers who won the World Championship driving Patrick Head engineered cars.

Alan Jones
Nelson Piquet
Keke Rosberg
Nigel Mansell
Alain Prost
Damon Hill
Jacques Villeneuve

Mark, for many of those years, Williams F1 was just as dominant as Red Bull was last year.

Believe me when I tell you, Patrck Head is not a bullshitter or a wanna be!

Last edited:
I dont disagree Jim, but my comments were aimed at times when we outsiders quote comments made by people we dont know, about other people we dont know, or situations of which we only know a part of the story, and then take a side based upon our 'feelings' for the person we quote.

Seeing guys on here constantly 'fighting' other peoples points when none of us are truly qualified to know what's what, gets me down at times. I just dislike the whole "this is right because so and so said so and was there, so he must be right" thats gets my going.

No doubt Patrick Head is a talented guy.

And I absolutely HATE the 'fan' syndrome.

There is a general tendancy for guys to vehemently defend people they 'like', when in actual fact, they have nothing upon which to base the fondness for that person upon.

Like I said in another post recently, I am ghetting close to not wishing to engage in the www any more. Too much sh1t and too little time. I need to find a chill out zone and the www is no longer the place for me to be content. I dipped my toe in the water and found it to be unpleasant.

Back