F1 in 2012

That was the best F1 race I have ever seen I think. Certainly the best in recent seasons. 'Ol Bernie should be rubbing his hands together and hoping the rest of the season is that good. I know I am.

Kimi-nator said "I'll Be Back" and sure enough he came back to the front quickly upon his return to F1. Pretty freaking impressive, I must say good for him especially after crashing himself into the woods on a regular basis in WRC!

Funny - you will see him talking it up with other drivers and whatnot, but as soon as the camera turns to him it's back to the "Klam-up-ster" we have all come to know.

Last edited:
Engine problems and what looked like bunged up threads on the McLaren cars. Nuts. I thought that Hamilton and Button both have been doing well. The Red Bull sure has come alive.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I was surprised FI did so well. (Isn't that Kimi and Grosjean's team?) I thought last year they ran Ferrari engines or something different from Renault, and didn't do well. Anyway, good for them.

Kimi has been working on his English; I think they threatened him with subtitles if he didn't improve. I could understand at least one word in three on Sunday...

As much as I deplore the manipulation of the rules to insure close races and unpredictable outcomes, it DOES make for much more interesting watching....

Keith

The tyres are making a nonsense of the teams' technical development and innovation. They are also making a nonsense of driver skill.

Close competition is one thing - a lottery is something else and that's what we are seeing. Might as well put a pin in the top ten cars to select a winner.

Cream may well rise to the top, but in modern F1 it can also sink halfway or even to the bottom.

If this is permitted to continue, then why bother trying to improve the car?

I am rapidly becoming an ex fan after 50 years....:furious:

PS FI = Mercedes engine and McLaren rear end for the last 2 years.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The tyres are making a nonsense of the teams' technical development and innovation. They are also making a nonsense of driver skill.

I beg to respectfully disagree. Those drivers that squander a new set of tires rather than use skilled driving to conserve them, are highlighted in this kind of challenge. Perhaps this is one of several factors contributing to Button's success thus far.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Terry,

I'm with you, I have followed F1 for 40+ years and I think that the racing has never been better...............by a wide margin!

The quality of the teams, quality of the drivers and quality of the racing has not been matched in my memory!

There is only one thing that sort of bothered me in the last race. A little on what Grandad is saying - The drivers appeared to be driving to a set time, one that would not destroy the tires. And the Ferrari is still currently a pile regardless of the tires.

But I agree the entertainment value has never been higher.

Keith

I'll grant you all of your rebuttals and of course one has to be sure one is approaching this matter either from a 'Sport' or 'Entertainment' angle.

But when drivers constantly admit they have throttled back and driving economy runs (tyres and fuel) just to be able to finish then it is a different ball game.

It's like Gladiator Maximus pricking his opponent instead of administering the killing blow.

If you watch Junior Ginettas (British Sports Car Series) then you will experience balls out white knuckle driving from flag to flag - and the average age is 16. That, I contend, is motorsport. Is Forumula 1 really going to be these kids goal for anything other than birds, boats and booze?

I believe DRS is legit as drivers often had moveable aero devices before they were banned, but this tyre thing sucks. Of course, it improves 'the show' but not the sport.

I haven't done an exercise because I am mentally incapable, but what percentage of cars/teams with Renault engines have dramatically improved this season? Anyone have any quick idea?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I think that sometimes we forget, back in Jackie Stewarts day (also no refueling) saving tires throughout the early part of the race, leading to the fastest car at the end was standard operating procedure.

I seem to recall a statistic, where Ayrton Senna had 65 poles but only 19 fastest laps. Even the greats saved their equipment for the end! This is nothing new.

Keith

Thats amusing. Tyres are lasting sometimes only 10 laps and thats on a good day.

Also remembering that originally, if one 'cooled' ones tyres for a few laps they would harden enabling another blast to the front. Now that was motor racing....

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I haven't done an exercise because I am mentally incapable, but what percentage of cars/teams with Renault engines have dramatically improved this season? Anyone have any quick idea?
Posted by Keith

Keith, last year (2011) Red Bull "RENAULT" took 15 poles and won 12 races

The first three races this year were dominated by Mercedes motors, the last one dominated by Renault motors.

I do not think the numbers show a dramatic Renault improvement this year, in fact the opposite appears to be the case.

The point need to be made that the motor seems to be much less important than in the past. Back in the day, the current "powerful" motor was everything.

Today, arodynamics and downforce rule. The fastest cars on the straight (little downforce, drag) tend to record the slowest lap times.

Last edited:
Back