GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Many of them are. I wouldn't gloat over that. At all.

Trump's Vice President pushed for legislation seeking to JAIL gay and lesbian couples who sought to marry. He tried to force women to undergo an ultrasound before having an abortion.

Trump clearly objectifies and devalues women and thinks his fame entitles him to sexual assault.

I'm willing to wipe the slate clean and start fresh with President Trump, but gloating? Not sure there is much to gloat for. A minority of the American voting public (Clinton actually received more votes) produced an Electoral College victory for President Trump in a year of overall lower turnout (Clinton, the popular vote winner, will receive fewer votes than Romney, the loser, did in 2012).

If Trump overstates his victory (less than half of Americans who voted voted for him, and more voted for Clinton), his presidency is off on the wrong foot to start with.

Your first line says you are still applying labels, my post was very much tongue in cheek, sorry that I tried humour on what must be a depressing day for you.

I'm willing to wipe the slate clean and start fresh with President Trump, but gloating? Not sure there is much to gloat for. A minority of the American voting public (Clinton actually received more votes) produced an Electoral College victory for President Trump in a year of overall lower turnout (Clinton, the popular vote winner, will receive fewer votes than Romney, the loser, did in 2012).

Jeff, before we give President-elect Trump a "clean slate," he still has two separate fraud cases (one in NY, one in CA) relating to Trump University that are still proceeding.

As was mentioned before, we have a r-e-p-u-b-l-i-c...not a democracy. The law rules...not the "majority". That's why, when "the majority" passes an unconstitutional law, the judicial branch shoots it down in flames...at least that's what's supposed to happen anyway...:sad:

The MAJORITY voted for Clinton, so nothing for the judicial branch to shoot down as unconstitutional. We still have three branches of government and all our other elected officials are voted in by popular vote, at least here in CA. I'd have to agree with Doug and say that the electoral college, an idea developed in the 18th century, has outlived its purpose in the 21st century.

All States will still have their 2 senators and the House will still be apportioned based upon the census every 10 years.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The MAJORITY voted for Clinton...I'd have to agree with Doug and say that the electoral college, an idea developed in the 18th century, has outlived its purpose in the 21st century.

...I have to disagree. The 'College was put in place to ensure a few heavily populated states couldn't run roughshod over all the other states in the union with lesser populations. Each state is in fact a separate 'nation', if you will...joined together to act as one. (Perhaps you might choose to revisit Article Two, Section One of the U.S. Constitution regarding that.) As (was previously) mentioned, the U.S. is a r-e-p-u-b-l-i-c...not a strict 'majority rules' democracy.
:chug:

Either one 'gets' the 'hows', 'whys' and 'what fors' behind The Founders reasoning that the 'College was needed, or one doesn't.

But, I'd submit The Founders constituted some of the finest minds ever seen in this or any other nation (if not THEE finest), and given that, I personally would be loath to second guess the wisdom of their decision. :scholar:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Keith, why do you think the "screw the system" stuff only comes from the left?

Go up in this thread and you'll see both Randy and Grady stating that they would refuse to accept HIllary Clinton as President, and Grady basically threatening armed revolt.

It's both sides. Some of both sides can win, and lose, graciously. Some can't.

Wrong.
:thumbsdown:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Larry, I'm sure you'll recognize that our state-of-the-art in technology is an issue that our "founding fathers" could never have conceptualized. They still had not even "discovered" electricity yet.

Sure, they did a great job with what they had...but progress is undeniable. Our idea of transportation is one example...the founding fathers could not have conceptualized our beloved GT40s, for example.

So...to hold with your philosophy we should have/do/desire/etc. nothing that the founding fathers could not have planned for is pure folly, IMHO.

Progress is unstopable and technology is advancing at an exponential rate. Why should we embrace advances in medical technology, for example, and not embrace advances in other uses for technology, such as, shall we say, recording electoral results?

We currently have the technology to function without the Electoral College...it's as outdated as the antique medical devices with which you are undoubtedly familiar, and :thumbsup: for that!!

We all respect the FF's...but time marches on and there is as much room for advances in vote-recording technology as there is in medical technology. We should embrace both...and I would speculate that our founding fathers, who were a bunch of pretty smart fellows, would agree.

Time to move on and embrace the present, much less the future.

Cheers!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Larry, I'm sure you'll recognize that our state-of-the-art in technology is an issue that our "founding fathers" could never have conceptualized. They still had not even "discovered" electricity yet.

Doug, you need to grasp the reason The Founders set up the 'College and recognize that said reason was not affected by or dependent upon the tech (or lack of same) available in The Founder's day, nor is it affected in any way or dependent upon today's tech! Tech plays no part in/has no effect on/has nothing to DO with the r-e-a-s-o-n the 'College was set up. The function/purpose of the 'College was - and still IS - to see to it that a few states with huge populations can't run roughshod over/impose their will over the rest of the states in the union via the sheer number of voters living within their borders. It doesn't matter if voting is done by touch screen, punch cards, smoke signals or carrier pidgin - the function of the 'College remains the same...'basically to see to it that individual states have as much of an equal a say in federal elections as possible...so to speak.

I would submit that today's "electors" do utilize today's tech to tally electoral votes. So, in that regard at least, your wish to incorporate modern tech has been granted. But, it'll take a constitutional amendment to dump the 'College.

As someone far wiser than I once said, I can take a stab at 'splainin' it to yuz, but, I can't understand it fer yuz! :nice:

...it's as outdated as the antique medical devices with which you are undoubtedly familiar, and :thumbsup: for that!!

HEY!!! I rezembulls that remark! :veryangry: (Apologies to Curly.)

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
As I remember, the members of the House of Representatives is based on apportionment (recognizing the "power" of population), whereas the SENATE is the branch that recognizes and accommodates the need to keep the populous states from running unfettered over the less populous states.

Admittedly, I am older than aluminum foil, but that is my memory. The electoral college was the "process" whereby the various states communicated the desires of their citizens.

I'll read that information you suggested...maybe it will make sense, but if communication of votes was the purpose for the Electoral College, IMHO there is no longer any need for it...other than to give some delegates a chance to party like it's 1984 (or was that 1994?) :eek:

[EDIT]: Well, Larry, I read Article 1, Section 2 multiple times, even read Wikipedia's information on the constitution...never once did I see the establishment of the Electoral College, just rules guiding the election of representatives. Can you provide a bit more guidance?

The 12th Ammendment, though, does mandate that the electoral college shall elect certain individuals provided there is no clear majority of the popular vote. Does that count? If so, I respectfully submit that we could AND SHOULD prioritize the majority of the popular vote...and I have yet to see any disagreement that HC won the majority of the popular vote.

Thanks!

[End edit]

Cheers!!

Doug

Last edited:
Either one 'gets' the 'hows', 'whys' and 'what fors' behind The Founders reasoning that the 'College was needed, or one doesn't.

But, I'd submit The Founders constituted some of the finest minds ever seen in this or any other nation (if not THEE finest), and given that, I personally would be loath to second guess the wisdom of their decision. :scholar:

Well, I'd submit that if you have the finest mind in this or any nation, then you don't own other human beings. The founding fathers owned slaves. And the electoral college was setup when there were 13 colonies. And there weren't 50 states spanning from the Atlantic to the Pacific Oceans. Every other office is elected by popular vote. The POTUS should be as well.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Can't read the articles without paying, Steve...:uneasy:

Cheers!

Doug

Doug, you need to grasp the reason The Founders set up the 'College and recognize that said reason was not affected by or dependent upon the tech (or lack of same) available in The Founder's day, nor is it affected in any way or dependent upon today's tech! Tech plays no part in/has no effect on/has nothing to DO with the r-e-a-s-o-n the 'College was set up. The function/purpose of the 'College was - and still IS - to see to it that a few states with huge populations can't run roughshod over/impose their will over the rest of the states in the union via the sheer number of voters living within their borders. It doesn't matter if voting is done by touch screen, punch cards, smoke signals or carrier pidgin - the function of the 'College remains the same...'basically to see to it that individual states have as much of an equal a say in federal elections as possible...so to speak.

I would submit that today's "electors" do utilize today's tech to tally electoral votes. So, in that regard at least, your wish to incorporate modern tech has been granted. But, it'll take a constitutional amendment to dump the 'College.

There's no "running roughshod" in a presidential race. No unconstitutional law is being passed. One person, one vote. BTW, the founding founders wouldn't even allow a female to vote. Genius? I think not.

At any rate, 33% of CA voted for Tump. Clinton got 61-62%. So, 2/3 of CA voted against Trump, which means there's about 6,000,000-ish voters feeling disenfranchised. And that's more than a bunch of states added together. 250 years ago, the electoral college may have made sense. Not any more.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Well, Larry, I read Article 1, Section 2 multiple times, even read Wikipedia's information on the constitution...never once did I see the establishment of the Electoral College, just rules guiding the election of representatives. Can you provide a bit more guidance?

In a nutshell, each state has as many "electors" as it has senators (2) AND members of the House of Reps...for a total of 538. (Yep! The 'value' of each individual citizen's vote does vary from state to state.) The minimum amount of electors assigned to any state is 3...including Wash. D.C....which isn't even a state. The total number of electoral votes need to 'win' is 270 (538 divided by 2 plus a smidgeon...just to keep things nice and neat, I guess.)

The gathering of electors wherein the electoral votes are tallied is what ended up being called/referred to as the Electoral College...don't ask me why. I imagine that's why you don't find it specifically mentioned in the Constitution.

The whole works is pretty thoroughly explained here if you want to wade thru it:

Does my vote count? Understanding the electoral college

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
There's no "running roughshod" in a presidential race. No unconstitutional law is being passed. One person, one vote. BTW, the founding founders wouldn't even allow a female to vote. Genius? I think not.

At any rate, 33% of CA voted for Tump. Clinton got 61-62%. So, 2/3 of CA voted against Trump, which means there's about 6,000,000-ish voters feeling disenfranchised. And that's more than a bunch of states added together. 250 years ago, the electoral college may have made sense. Not any more.

You're obviously attempting to shoot the messenger, sir.

Does my vote count? Understanding the electoral college

From the above link: "...every state gets a number of electors that is the total of all of its representatives in Congress, both in the House of Representatives and in the Senate. The House of Representatives is divided approximately by population — big states have the most representatives, small states have the fewest — but every state has exactly two senators, regardless of size. That means that while big states have more electors than small states, they don't have as many more as they would based on population alone."

...which is the way The Founders figured was the best way to ensure a couple states with large populations (and the views/interests of THEIR population) would find it difficult to/couldn't lord over the whole country. Each state has its own individual interests/needs based on their own individual population/economic base, etc., and if the 'popular votes' of a couple of large population states determined whether or not this-or-that legislation were passed, it's easy to see how the best interests of the nation as a whole could take a back seat. One size does not fit all, if you will.

It's obvious your view differs from that of The Founders and nothing will change it. I'm not attempting to convert you. So, put down yer gun, son. ;)

Keith

Keith, why do you think the "screw the system" stuff only comes from the left?

Go up in this thread and you'll see both Randy and Grady stating that they would refuse to accept HIllary Clinton as President, and Grady basically threatening armed revolt.

It's both sides. Some of both sides can win, and lose, graciously. Some can't.

Because it has been a growing trend here in the UK for a number of years. I don't doubt that people of a 'Right' persuasion have muttered similar 'threats' but over here, at least, it appears more orchestrated by the more extremes of the left of which I believe we have a greater number of factions. To me, this is a fairly new tactic and one that is often demonstrated in '1/3rd world' countries if they don't like an election result because they are not used to, have no allegiance to, a sense of democracy which might have been enforced upon them by an 'economic benefactor' as a condition of aid.

Lets say that the recent mass left inspired demonstration against the Brexit result forced Parliaments hands for a re-run, and the Remain camp won. Has democracy been served? To me it only shows the political hypocrisy of those who would abandon democracy when they seek to overthrow a decision and yet embrace it when it suits them.

I see there have already been riots in US cities against the Presidential result. This is third world stuff and the rest of the world is watching..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back