GT40s.com Paddock Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
So now we have heavy duty insults being traded. Does this help the debate? Does this exchange assist foreigners (like me) understand US politics?

LOL you seem surprised. A forum that permits political debate has turned ugly... who would guessed!!!

This election cycle has simultaneously produced both an entertaining and miserable result. We get the pleasure of knowing that there is one person on here that is going to wake up to a very bad day for the next four years.The flip side is we have to all listen to the incessant whining for the next four years on a car forum lame!

Have a great day meathead. You more than anyone deserves it...

reinerrob_clintonhillary_getty.jpg

I cant understand why everyone's so upset, the country voted, so let him get on with the job, sure as hell he wont please all the people all of the time, but from the comments ive heard on here over the past couple of years about the out going POTUS, very few of you were happy with him either.
at least give the bloke time to show his hand .

kaspa

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
John, I think we're upset for good reason. You said the country voted, and, yes, we did, but the person who got the most votes is not going to be sworn in...the "loser" is going to be leading us for the next 4 years because of an antiquated, useless electoral selection process. Yeah, we feel cheated...and unfortunately there are few bigger "cheaters" than the person we can expect to take office. He just settled a civil lawsuit for $25M because he cheated people out of their hard earned money and dreams using an educational scam.

Doug

Steve

Supporter
Doug, it's clear you don't like the electoral college, but it is what it is and candidates know that and adapt accordingly. It's not going away today or at any foreseeable time in the future. There are too many small states that will be adamantly opposed. FWIW I know many republicans in CA that never even bothered to cast a vote for President as they knew it would have no effect. I'm sure the same is true in WA and OR and probably NY. You can't assume that winning the popular vote with our current system would lead to the same result in the absence of the electoral college.

Continuing to bring it up is perseverating at this point.

I didn't vote for the winner in the last 3 elections, this one included. Time to move on and let him prove himself. If he sucks, there will be another vote in 4 years. He might actually surprise many of you. I think his current demeanor and approach is far different than what many expected. I gave Obama a chance but his arrogant attitude and immediate insulting nature to the Republicans in congress didn't start off well and he went down from there. Contrast that with Trump's overtures (and lack of "I won, you lost" approach) with the Democrats in congress.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Doug, it's clear you don't like the electoral college, but it is what it is and candidates know that and adapt accordingly. It's not going away today or at any foreseeable time in the future. There are too many small states that will be adamantly opposed.

If he sucks, there will be another vote in 4 years. He might actually surprise many of you. I think his current demeanor and approach is far different than what many expected.

I can't imagine that the smaller states would like the Electoral College...it is "apportioned" exactly like the House of Representatives, in fact the number of representatives per state plus two (the number of senators per state) is the number of votes each state has. That allows the more populous states to run roughshod over the smaller states and diminishes their "power" in the electoral process.

I could see why they would want it to remain in effect if it were "apportioned" like the Senate, with D.C. having the same "power" as New York and CA. It's not that way.

It needs to go...progress has rendered it unnecessary as well as outdated.

"One man...one vote". I agree with Jeff, that's what we're raised believing in and that's how it should go down.

As for giving him a chance...I agree. We're stuck with him for 4 years and if the nation is not happy with that he'll be out, but not until after he's done his damage (SCOTUS appointments, Presidential orders, etc.,). I must admit he's done some things that have impressed me...just many more that haven't.

He's entitled to a chance to prove himself and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...he just shouldn't be the one in that office, IMHO...and I blame that on the Electoral College process.

Cheers!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
You can't assume that winning the popular vote with our current system would lead to the same result in the absence of the electoral college.

Bingo.

As has been mentioned before, just like all who ran before them, BOTH candidates designed their campaign strategies to win the E.C. vote - not necessarily the popular vote (although that would be a 'nice bonus').

You can bet your boots campaign strategies would not be the same as they are today if the popular vote determined the winner...just as primary campaigns differ from national.

I've grown weary of this topic, so I think I'm going to take a few days vacation.
:chug:

Keith

LOL you seem surprised. A forum that permits political debate has turned ugly... who would guessed!!!

This election cycle has simultaneously produced both an entertaining and miserable result. We get the pleasure of knowing that there is one person on here that is going to wake up to a very bad day for the next four years.The flip side is we have to all listen to the incessant whining for the next four years on a car forum lame!

Have a great day meathead. You more than anyone deserves it...

Errrr, meathead? :shifty:

Keith

John, I think we're upset for good reason. You said the country voted, and, yes, we did, but the person who got the most votes is not going to be sworn in...the "loser" is going to be leading us for the next 4 years because of an antiquated, useless electoral selection process. Yeah, we feel cheated...and unfortunately there are few bigger "cheaters" than the person we can expect to take office. He just settled a civil lawsuit for $25M because he cheated people out of their hard earned money and dreams using an educational scam.

Doug

It works the same whatever voting system you use. In the UK, the 'losers' immediately start campaigning for a change in the voting system, typically from 'first past the post' to Proportional Representation - a system favoured by a few nations including Italy who have endured roughly 71 changes of Govt since WWII. Of course, you need more than 2 parties for this to work. So, my suggestion is, instead of changing the US system, why not float more political parties? Try the "Liberal Party" - should go down well, or even the "Conservative Party" even better. For even more bridge building, perhaps "Liberal Democrats" might even float your boat.. and then there's everybody's favourite: the "National Front ."

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Errrr, meathead? :shifty:

"Meathead" was the derogatory term Archie Bunker used to address his "hippie" son-in-law on a 1970's era series called "All in the Family". It was hilarious and one of the few weekly series shows that the "censors" allowed to address political issues. The funniest one (IMHO) was when Archie forgot to renew his voting registration and so he tried to get his "dimwit" (as he called her) wife "Edith" to vote according to his choices, but she would have none of that...to his extreme frustration! Most of the weekly episodes focused on Archie's prejudices and faux-pau's...he could murder the English language like nobody else. It was a great series!

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
...you need more than 2 parties for this to work. So, my suggestion is, instead of changing the US system, why not float more political parties?

We do have a 3rd party, and a fourth, but you hear very little about either of them. The "Libertarian" party is all about local power, and enough citizens believe that is an important enough issue that the Libertarian Party siphoned off enough Democratic votes that I believe it was a primary factor in Clinton's "defeat". The fourth party, called the "Green Party", had such low numbers that they didn't seem to impact the overall determination much...in fact, if I were required to characterize their platform, I'd probably get it wrong, but with the rush to legalize marijuana in more places here in the U.S. perhaps the "Green" party should adjust their target population...THAT might make them a very powerful force in politics.

Between the Democrats and the Republicans there is so little difference that I regularly refer to them as the "Demopublicans" and the "Republicrats". For all intents and purposes they are interchangeable most of the time.

I came very close to writing in "Pat Paulsen" again, but the race was close enough that I didn't want to waste my vote, so I didn't. :worried: ...write in Pat Paulsen, that is...not sure whether or not my vote was "wasted", but one vote one way or the other was not enough to sway the votes (nor, apparently, was over a MILLION votes...that is the margin by which Clinton won the POPULAR vote. That's a LOT of people who feel like their votes didn't "count" because of the way the E.C. works...and who can blame them?).

Cheers!

Doug

Malcolm

Supporter
So there I was in the hospitality suite at the race track on the Isle of Anglesey (north west tip of Wales (that's on the western side of England ok?)) at the annual Race of Remembrance an event which is organised by Mission Motorsport, a military charity, a 1000 km race to raise funds and to help seriously injured service men and women as they get their lives back on track.

So as I said there I was in this hospitality suite talking to a Canadian and an American who had come over to see this event so they could look into copying it to do some good work for their respective country's injured service men and women.

Turns out the 'merican is based in Raleigh NC so we chat long and enthusiastically about VIR as a possible venue for a future race venue if it all comes off. Swap business cards and off we trot into the night.

Couple of days later I look at this guys card and it says (and here is why this is posted in this thread!) .....Grier Martin, NC House of Representatives 34th District.

So my question to you is where does the NC House of Representatives fit into the big USA scheme of things, is this guy important and should I have been more tactful about taking the p*ss out of the USA?

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the explanation Doug - means nowt to me though. It seems I am 'Meathead' then... :huh:

I don't think so, Keith...if you think of yourself as a WOGG, you'd be right at home sitting next to Archie on that couch, he certainly was (in addition to being quite racially prejudiced, too).

It was an incredibly funny weekly series...when you're in the mood for some fun, do a search on Youtube and see if you can find some old episodes. Believe me, you're NO meathead!!

Cheers, Keith!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
...So my question to you is where does the NC House of Representatives fit into the big USA scheme of things, is this guy important and should I have been more tactful about taking the p*ss out of the USA?

That gentleman was a representative in the legislature of the state of North Carolina, Malcolm. It is a very important position for state politics, but not particularly in the larger scheme of things because North Carolina is not one of the more populous states in the U.S.; however, having said that, a LOT of politicians start off in state legislatures and later rise to national positions, too...so he MAY become quite important in the future.

Cheers!

Doug

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Thanks for the explanation Doug - means nowt to me though. It seems I am 'Meathead' then... :huh:

Meathead, here? Our lovely friend Mike means me. And Scott, lovely as well, apparently thinks I'm menstruating.

I'm pretty easy going. President Trump is fine by me. Doesn't mean I can't criticize the guy. And do what I can to make sure this place isn't a right wing nutter-chamber.

I wouldn't wish a miserable four years on anyone. That's Mike ballgame apparently.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
So there I was in the hospitality suite at the race track on the Isle of Anglesey (north west tip of Wales (that's on the western side of England ok?)) at the annual Race of Remembrance an event which is organised by Mission Motorsport, a military charity, a 1000 km race to raise funds and to help seriously injured service men and women as they get their lives back on track.

So as I said there I was in this hospitality suite talking to a Canadian and an American who had come over to see this event so they could look into copying it to do some good work for their respective country's injured service men and women.

Turns out the 'merican is based in Raleigh NC so we chat long and enthusiastically about VIR as a possible venue for a future race venue if it all comes off. Swap business cards and off we trot into the night.

Couple of days later I look at this guys card and it says (and here is why this is posted in this thread!) .....Grier Martin, NC House of Representatives 34th District.

So my question to you is where does the NC House of Representatives fit into the big USA scheme of things, is this guy important and should I have been more tactful about taking the p*ss out of the USA?

Malcolm, good to hear from you.

Each state has its own "Congress" or House of Commons/Lords. Grier is an attorney in Raleigh, my age, have known him for a while, good straight shooter and I'm sure enjoyed speaking with you and would be open to any and all ideas.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
...my question to you is is this guy important and should I have been more tactful about taking the p*ss out of the USA?

Malcomb, I really wish there were more like you. I think the people who don't live in the U.S.A. believe we're ALL a bunch of crackpot millionaires who have nothing better to do than piss and moan about things, when the truth really is that we'd all MUCH rather not have to deal with the detritus of the political arena. That would, however, mean that each of the parties had to nominate a DESIRABLE candidate, and our media didn't paint that sort of rosy picture of either of them this cycle. The rest of the world needs to know that most of us Americans are just people who want a tranquil lifestyle, or when we don't we can go out and shoot our guns or drink our moonshine or whatever else we do to put excitement into our lives. Nobody with whom I am acquainted enjoyed this past election cycle, I know it really didn't reflect the values of me or most of my friends.

I predicted long ago that we'd be the laughing stock of the world if DT were elected...just didn't realize we'd be the laughing stock of the world as we were trying to do so.

...at least nobody can say we're a complacent bunch... :stunned:

Cheers!

Doug

I cant understand why everyone's so upset, the country voted, so let him get on with the job, sure as hell he wont please all the people all of the time, but from the comments ive heard on here over the past couple of years about the out going POTUS, very few of you were happy with him either.
at least give the bloke time to show his hand .

kaspa

i have so many thinking about out elections around the world,....i dont want to step into USA Problems, but i want tell you some

Austria, the Country i life, we have the same Problem, or is directly coming over us,...brexit, was the same,....so many elections or votes are 50/50,..no, not right, 50.1 to 49.9, ist crazy to say, we all have votet, we all ar this or that,...it is not true, the halve of Country is against this votes,...so we life in countrys where each second is not the same like i ???,...so what conversation should we do with others??,..

for me a System must be like this,....elections or votes must be 2/3,...Minimum 75% from all the People must be with or against,....this is a winning for me, all other is realy a dessaster, and with all this fu...politics in Moment a realy break into life from all of us

ernst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back