Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Beautiful looking car, Keith!

I have the same eight stack EFI system, and recently moved it so the throttle sensor is toward the firewall. It was starting to melt due to heat from the headers.

Hi Dave, Do you have a turkey tray style heat defuser around the sensor and bodies ?
Also have you used heat shield around the sensor ?
Cheers

Trial fitted the rear diffuser made from 4mm thickness aluminium, laser cut with 6 fixing holes.
It will need two more fixings above the number plate to ensure a good fit and the edges will need a haircut but good value for money at only £ 65
The whole thing will be powder coated and will add that boy racer image.
Nodding dog and furry dice next.
The spinners are being re cut to suit the profile of the wheel exactly, these will be polished.
Neither of these items can be present at the IVA test though.
Pictures to follow

Got a date of Jan 9th for the car to have it's new exhaust at SGT.
A 260 mile round trip but it wont get through the IVA without it.
The remaining aeromotive fuel system will NOT be here for Christmas
" Bloody Yanks ".
So I will result to finishing lots of small jobbies.
Picked up 2 nice rear deck Indent lamps, one to be fitted after IVA.

Attachments

• web 0035.jpg
    web 0035.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 412
Pre fitting the fuel regulator, having to watch where things are fitted as space is tight.
Quite often you can fit something and then find it is in the way of something else.
The rear deck for example just touches the injector fuel line fittings on the bodies.
It will require about 3mm to clear but to keep cosmetically similar I will trim out about 5mm on both sides.
Trial fitted the rear defuser and all that was needed was about 6mm of one end and a bit of a haircut. It will be powder coated when fully prepped.
Rear bulkhead glass is now in.

Attachments

• IMG_3645_0047.jpg
    IMG_3645_0047.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_3661_0063.jpg
    IMG_3661_0063.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_3655_0057.jpg
    IMG_3655_0057.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 672

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Keith,

You are going to have to sell your car to Aus mate. Unless you call your diffuser into a spoiler!

Looking good!

Today the painter came and had a look at the car and will put a price together.
He knows what is expected of him as he has painted many of my motorcycles. I marked areas of the car that I think need attention such as gaps, uneven areas etc. Most cars will need priming and blocking off to get rid of ripples and uneveness and mine is no exception.
Pictures show where the Gurney bump was fitted and how this distorted the shape of the door top a bit, but it's no problem.
I have opted for high intensity spot lights under the headlamps. These are smaller than the originals but now have an ally ring surround which will be polished or chromed.

The painter is Pete, " Pete the painter " of Mech Spray.
In the seventies Pete painted all of the original Thunderbirds, Lady Penelope's Rolls, More than one Batmobile, Currently doing work for Mc Claren and even the big seats for TV 's Big Brother.

Attachments

• web 0099.jpg
    web 0099.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 555
  • web 0071.jpg
    web 0071.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
I have decided to have SGT fit one of there Central locking systems so thinking ahead have drilled the doors and the chassis section by the doors, The wiring can then be installed without further cutting of panels. In my opinion the doors are hung OK so all lock nuts and stainless washers are fitted and any paint touched up.
There will be a light fitted for the door roundel so the wiring will be needed for that as well.
The Gear assembly from SGT is really nice and the gears are smooth.
The gear lever is only rough cut stainless that needs polishing.
Also gear Knobs that you buy have silly plastic inserts that dont fit well, so I machined up a collar for inside the gear knob that threads on the SGT bits and it's solid as a rock,,, and shinny.

Attachments

• web 0073.jpg
    web 0073.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 619
  • web 0080.jpg
    web 0080.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 728
Car stripped again just before it goes to SGT to have the exhaust system made, this will take a week or so and then it will be sent away for coating.
The car will be returned after the exhaust is made so that I can carry on.
I have removed the parts that SGT wont need like doors, front section, all brackets, door handles etc that need either polishing or finishing off.
So were looking a bit backwards again.

Stripped back

Attachments

• web jan 7  _0137.jpg
    web jan 7 _0137.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 607
  • web jan 7  0134.jpg
    web jan 7 0134.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 664
Last edited:
Since getting the body and doors pretty good, they seem to come off and on really easily. To remove, fitted and aligned in seconds.
So it's a good time to get the gaps better as they are on and off more times than a whores draws.
On talking to the painter, the more I do the less he has to do and therefore cheaper.
On the passenger side ( shown in the picture ) there was a larger gap by about 3mm which I could not get closer, so I cut a 3mm piece of fibreglass panel, 5 ally rivets were countersunk and bonded onto a pre roughed up edge. The result was rubbed down with 240 grade and it's solid as a rock.
the door gaps are as good as I'm going to do.

Next week while the cars away I'll be making the eschusion plates for the top door openers and putting the finishing touches to the front deck.
The rear fog lamp and reverse lights have been made good,bonded inside. these are within the IVA dimensions and E marked glass.

Attachments

• web jan 7  0121.jpg
    web jan 7 0121.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 548
  • web jan 7  0122.jpg
    web jan 7 0122.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 534
  • web jan 7  0142.jpg
    web jan 7 0142.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
Looking really good, Keith B. I'm not sure how often your doors are on and off compared to a whore's draws; will need to do some research. Meanwhile, you get that machine's exhaust fitted.

Car went today to Mick at SGT for the exhaust... YIPPY
Doors and front section will be worked on this week.
Started to smooth off the edges of the doors, around the locks etc and get rid small chips and digs, the paint shop will do the rest.
The front light covers just touch the bulb holders of the headlights so I made a cap to get the clearance . The cap is actually a spray can top, cut and bonded into the panel then strengthened with filler on the inside. The whole panel will be sprayed with body Shutz stone guard, as will the inner wings where stones can be thrown up.
As it's sought of rubberised it will stop the chips that make spider marks in the gel coat that are hard to get rid of.

Attachments

• web jan 8 .jpg
    web jan 8 .jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 608
  • jan 8t h .jpg
    jan 8t h .jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 526
  • web jan 8th.jpg
    web jan 8th.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 545
Excellent work as always Keith, have you decided on the colour yet and when is the car due to go to the paint shop?

The colour of the car will be "£$%^&*() with a stripe
Cars away at present for exhaust fitting, except for the front and the doors.
I have been tidying around the headlights, fitting the wiring to the repeater side indicators and putting a coat of body Shutz on the wheel arches to stop stone chips.
It will require a further spray Shutz after the car is painted
I have taken the side repeater wiring from the indicators and just piggy backed it of them.
Sent the stainless steel door latches and other bits away for polishing

Been up to the Autosport at NEC bought 8 nice stainless taper washers and bolts for the rear wing, saves making them.
Didn't think the show was up to much though, always used to be better and bigger.

Attachments

• web jan 14 .jpg
    web jan 14 .jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 516
  • web jan   14  .jpg
    web jan 14 .jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 515
  • web jan14.jpg
    web jan14.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
While the cars away, a few problems with the laser blanks for the exhaust so another week at SGT I fear !
Anyway lots to do still.
The door latches were upgraded to the latest style from SGT, which meant they had to be cut into the doors. I finished them off today, also I decided NOT to use the standard door openers on top of the door but have them inside in the door boxes.
This meant filling in the lever hole which is also now done.
I fitted the front nostril panel which needs a few hours on it still.
As you can see in the pictures there is a bow in the side of the panel. A lot of people leave this bow but I will make it better and the bodyshop will finish it off.
Made good around the headlights and spots..
Getting there... Slowly

Attachments

• jan 0179.jpg
    jan 0179.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 399
  • jan21 0181.jpg
    jan21 0181.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 482
  • jan21 0186.jpg
    jan21 0186.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 455
  • jan21 0191.jpg
    jan21 0191.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 422
  • jan21 0196.jpg
    jan21 0196.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 438
Looking great as usual Keith, this is going to be one sorted car when it's finished. If you get withdrawal symptoms when you've finished the build I'll let you help finish mine if you like :)

Back