Rcr 40-31

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Morning Fran,

I've got a copy of the file from Chuck but it lacks details of which hose goes where, wiring, what to do with the probe-looking thing, etc... That's the info I am specifically looking for.

Is there a rev'd manual with that in it?

Chris

The online one is different ....

unfortunately Hot Rod Air went out of business a couple of years ago so there is no support from them obviously.

Does anyone have documentation for how to install the AC? Wanting to wrap that up sometime.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

I have the original HRA docs that came with my system (I think).

PM if you need a copy. I think it's basically the same system as was supplied for the 40, except for the 40-specific bits like pipes, etc.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
That'd be great Will, thanks! PM forthcoming.

Fran- I emailed you but haven't heard back. Please send me the link.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hi Fran,

Please forward the build link. Feel free to PM it to me here or the gmail address from which I emailed you.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I'll post this here but if the mods think it needs to go in the AC section please feel free to move.

I hung the compressor and started to connect the hoses, with step 1 being to remove the plate sealing the ports. Not having done this before, I didn't think too much of it and undid the bolts. As soon as the second one was a little loose, I got a small shower of oil as all of it exited through the ports which are at the bottom of the compressor.

The install looks like every other RCR I've seen (with the ports at the bottom), but why did mine leak all out or did everyone else just skip posting about that part?

More importantly, what's the recovery? What kind of oil is in the compressor and how much? Is it safe to spin the motor without oil in the compressor (without engaging the AC clutch)?

There isn't much reference to it in the documentation I have. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Elvis has left the building- finally got the car out of the garage (under its own power)!

I've been working my butt off on the car as my parents were flying in last night. I picked them up at 9p and within about 30 seconds of being home, we were out in the shop with my dad checking out the car.

Then I said it's mobile, wanna go?

Oh yeah!

On a quiet Weds eve, about 10pm, the garage door went up. Unfortunately I had just monkeyed with the shifter linkage and subsequently couldn't find reverse. No fear, dad just starts pushing- guess he really wants a ride...

Get it out, get both of us in and hit the starter again. Fires right off. Shifter takes some getting used to and I have some work to do on the alignment, but the brakes, head/tail lights and everything else seems to be working fine.

HOLY CRAP does it have torque. There were a few stop signs on the route and I managed to select 3rd instead of 1st gear at the stop line. Not really a big deal... WOW!!! This thing is going to be a monster! I am glad I went with the ratios available in the ZF and not the Audi. This thing is going to be unbelievable when fully sorted.

It was probably less than half a mile and I doubt I went over 30 mph but it's a VERY promising beginning. I worked my butt off knowing my dad was coming out and then it took all my restraint to wait once it was "ready enough" to leave the nest. I am glad I did though. It was a good night.

Chris

Chris-- Nice to hear you were able to get that beast out and let it run. All that hard work paid off. How long did it take you to get the smile off your dads face? Sounds like you were pretty psyched to. If you don't get the issues resolved with your heater and air conditioning install let me know and I can send you some pictures of my set up. As far as the oil is concerned it's nothing to worry about I had the same thing happen to me.You can replace it by poor some directly into the air-conditioning line up front. Can't remember what grade oil I used but I'll find out and let you know.
Vaughn

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Family potrait day:

IMG_5119.JPG

Not a bad problem to have: which one do I take??? Looking forward to having that problem.

Windscreen is in, shifter is sorted, got myself out of the garage without anyone pushing, was able to start from stop signs in first gear... Need to finish (read: start working on) the parking brake and I think I'll be ready to visit the DMV. They may have a different opinion though...

I do have a question though: what is the best way to address heat from the exhaust cooking the rear clip?

I have about .5" to .75" above the collectors right at the edge of the motor opening and even in the 2 minutes it took to idle it around the block and position in the driveway, it got hotter than I will be comfortable with in the long term.

Any recommendations?
Chris

Back