PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Bill,

I'm looking at using a tablet also. What are you using for a head unit/amp? How are you connecting the BU camera? What apps are you using?

I've tried several android navigation apps and so far they've all been crap compared to a Garmin Nuvi.

I was going to go with a Clarion Marine system as it to has the controls separate from the very small head unit but it had nothing else just stereo.
Keep us in the loop Bill I am hoping some one can put something together that is not to Complex.
Cheers,

Grant,

I used that approach in my last build. I mounted a Sony Marine wired remote inside a billet motorcycle headlight housing. The head unit was hidden up behind the dash with the face pointing down so I could reach it if needed.

The system works well, but if I had known about the JBL PRV-170 round radio below, I would have used it since its simpler to mount and takes less space.

Attachments

• Radio.jpg
    Radio.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Selecting a Tablet

Here are the considerations I used for choosing a tablet for my SLC's info-tainment system. I think you should only go the tablet route as a last choice, after exploring all other automotive audio head unit alternatives. Using an automotive audio head unit is easier and may be less expensive.

External dimensions: I’m mounting a tablet in the landscape orientation high in the traditional rearview mirror position between the rollbar tubes of an SLC. There is 8.1” between the tubes, so the tablet must fit between. If mounted in the dash center section, a slightly larger tablet will fit.

Operating System: People are loyal and passionate about the Operating System (OS) they prefer. The 3 most common Operating Systems are Apple, Android & Windows. You should select the OS you are most comfortable with.

Apple IOS is designed more for entertainment and ease of use. They do that by making the user interface non-threatening, fun to explore, and simple. Simplicity is achieved by limiting the configuration adjustments, as well as limiting the number and depth of branches off the mainline path. Those same limits reduce flexibility and the ability to tune the Apple interface to be more “car like”.
  • The only Apple tablet that fits the SLC is the iPad mini (with/without Retna). Having just one case design makes it easy for other manufacturers to offer accessories, and iPads have many available. For example, soundmanca.com offers an iPad mini faceplate that can be molded into an existing dash for an OEM appearance.
  • The iPad screen is known for its high resolution (2048x1536)and brightness. The iPad’s 7.9” screen is the largest that will fit within the 8.1” space.
  • Apple tablets are more expensive. The iPad mini ranges from $299USD to $829USD
Microsoft Windows OS is the most common OS for personal computers, so it’s already familiar to the vast majority of people. Windows is designed more toward productivity, like editing text documents, spreadsheets, etc.
  • Windows is a very complete and robust OS with enough flexibility to fundamentally change the behavior and interface to nearly anything you want.
  • Windows has the richest availability of device drivers to connect peripherals, such as a rearview camera.
  • Microsoft licenses Windows to other device manufacturers. However, Windows 8 for tablets is still somewhat new, so there are a limited number of models available. As a result, there are currently no 7” Windows tablets that will fit within 8.1” space requirement.
The Google Android user interface is designed to fit between Windows and IOS. Android is easy to learn, but allows you to go deeper, change more settings and be more open. This improves flexibility and the ability to tune the Android interface to be more “car like”.
  • Google licenses Android to other device manufacturers, so there are seemingly an unlimited number of 7” tablet choices that fit within 8.1” space requirement.
  • Screen quality varies widely so do your research before you buy. There are many 7” tablets with bright screens and high resolution up to 1920 x 1200
  • Competition among the Android tablets manufacturers keeps the price below comparable Apple and Windows devices. Android tablets range from $55 to $349.
rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1239-slide2.jpg

Button and connector location: Once mounted, you will need access to the tablet’s buttons for power, volume, home, etc. These buttons may be on the front, sides of even the back side of the tablet. Conversely, you will want to hide the connectors for power, audio ear bud jack, USB, lightning, etc.

Tablet Speed: An info-tainment system requires only enough speed to run apps for Navigation, maps, MP3, internet music streaming, and travel apps. Even a low end tablet will be faster than the typical units that auto manufacturers use.

Tablet memory (RAM): Your MP3 music library will probably be the single largest memory hog. However, you will need enough memory for offline maps and a few apps as well. Most tablets come standard with at least 8M-16M of memory, which is usually enough. Many tablets come with a SD memory expansion slot if more memory is needed.

Wireless connection: Many info-tainment features require a wireless connection for things like music streaming, navigation maps, travel apps, etc. Some data can be preloaded onto a tablet, but App function will be limited. Types of wireless connections include Bluetooth, WiFi, or telecom modem. A data connection can be made thru a Hotspot enabled phone or by a telco modem inside the tablet. Either way, a 3G or 4G connection speed is needed for apps to run properly. That means you will need a monthly data plan from your wireless provider.

Compatibility with Peripherals: If you plan to connect other devices to your tablet, you should make sure that they are compatible. A common peripheral for info-tainment systems is a rearview camera.

Last edited:
Selecting a Rearview Camera

The next step in configuring an info-tainment system is selecting a rearview camera

The most common rearview camera solutions are closed circuit camera, portable camera, or USB webcam. They are available with wired or wireless (WiFi) connection. Wired connections are less likely to have signal interference problem from your engine ignition.
  • Closed circuit camera is typically used for Automotive backup cameras. These cameras typically feature night vision, 420 lines of resolution and a 100-140 degree wide-angle lens. That’s fine for backing up, but not ideal for a rearview of traffic while driving. Closed circuit camera output is generally a PAL (worldwide) or NTSC (USA) protocol. Either is probably OK, but the PAL standard is generally preferred due NTSC’s past history of component incompatibility issues. Most automotive backup cameras come with a license plate mount or some other easy mounting system. 4ucam.com offers a wireless WIFI backup camera and app for Android and Apple tablets for $145.
  • USB webcams come in outdoor/indoor varieties and offer a higher resolution of 720 to 1080 lines. If an indoor webcam is used, it will need to be weatherized. Webcams provide a better rearward image of traffic while driving. The USB Camera app allows you to use the following USB webcams: Logitech C270, C310, C920, SANWA SUPPLY CMS-V32 and the Watec WAT-01U2. The Logitech C270 has 720 lines of resolution and is just $20, so it’s a good choice for 7” tablets with screens upto 800 lines. If your tablet’s screen has 1080 lines or more, the Logitech C920 offers HD resolution of 1080 lines. A custom mount will need to be fabricated for a webcam. A webcam is the least expensive option.
  • Some portable cameras offer a USB connection for viewing live video. For example, GoPro, Contour, Cannon, etc. Portable cameras have HD resolution of 1080 lines and a better lens than a webcam, so they offer a better image. Do your research to ensure the there is a tablet app for viewing the camera’s image. Some portable cameras need to be manually turned on each time they are used, so try it before you buy it. Portable cameras are the most expensive option. Like a webcam, you will you need to fabricate a custom mount.

I'm glad I put off doing a back-up/rear view camera system. 6 months ago I do not remember seeing many wireless systems, let alone one's that use phone apps. This is getting good & less expensive each passing month. I'll be looking to hang maybe a 5" monitor from the ceiling panel with a CCD camera out back. Last time I looked the available viewing angles were too wide also. I noted more CCD 120* units and a couple 90's - but they weren't CCD :-(

I'm glad I put off doing a back-up/rear view camera system. 6 months ago I do not remember seeing many wireless systems, let alone one's that use phone apps. This is getting good & less expensive each passing month. I'll be looking to hang maybe a 5" monitor from the ceiling panel with a CCD camera out back. Last time I looked the available viewing angles were too wide also. I noted more CCD 120* units and a couple 90's - but they weren't CCD :-(

You don't want wireless or less than 7'' - i tried a variety of setups and ended up with a 7'' monitor and wired ccd camera. Using any type of backup camera as a rear view mirror is hokey at best, but I've found absolutely critical, so you don't want anything that can distort/signal interference and you need a 'large' monitor to see objects really far away or tiny ones like motorcycles approaching.

You can't just slap a camera out back and call it day; it has to have the image reversed, and don't expect some crystal clear HD image that will rival the reflection from a glass mirror - at least of all the cameras I've seen and tried (going from cheap $40 CMOS to $400 CCD) it won't come close.

120*-150* is about the range you want. This way you begin to see the car when your mirrors pick it up (assuming you mounted your mirrors low like I did) ... if they're up top you'd probably see the car sooner than I can in it and it doesn't fishbowl.

Having a set of cameras and ready to replace at least the true rear one, I can tell you you don't want even a 120 lens. Go for the 90 degree lens. It will give you the most realistic view. My 120 mirror will not let you see what is behind you until it is right on top of you(real world experience here). If you have your cameras mounted low, as on the tag or tag level you won't see anything but bumpers. You need to be as high as you can get to see like you do in an ordinary car. If you chose one with a small housing it can be mounted on the rear section of the spyder and not be obtrusive. It will look like most modern cars with the little hump over the rear window. You might try to put it on the firewall under the rear clip, but I think the distortion of the plexi will rule it out. I think this may work O K if you have glass. I have actually three mirrors on mine. Two on the side mirrors(actually inside the mirrors). this allows the car leaving the view of the true rear view mirror to enter the side mirror, which upon leaving its view is beside you. These mirrors act as a "blind spot mirror". And that is using a 120 mirror at present. On the side mirrors I think you will need the 120s, with the GT40 at least, due to the hump on the extended flares. I have the RX7 mirrors which were electric. In my first iteration, they have an assembly inside of them that you can adapt to the housing of the camera. In my second iteration I built a framework that would hold the camera almost against the back of the mirror. These were bolted to the framework as well but gave me the angle that the camera needed to eliminate the blind spot. I will post some pics when I get home.

Bill

You guys will have to excuse my posting on the rear view cameras. I said mirrors repeatedly and should have said cameras. In any event here are the pics of what I currently have. I will say that you guys have given me food for thought on what type of setup can be had. I am not interested in altering the "look" of the GT40 to become "modern" as the SLC is able to do, as that is what it is, modern. What I do want is safety in a car that has terrible rear vision. That being said here is the current iteration. It is being changed as we speak in that I am doing some fiberglass work anyway, and the alteration of the roof line is underway, to do away with the bulky camera and add a more streamline version.
The four camera monitor. Has since been relocated to under the speedometer
IMAG0046.jpg

The current rear view camera. I chose it for the night vision with the many IR lights available. I have only driven once at night. It isn't worth it.
IMAG0044.jpg

Here is the hidden camera on one side.
P1010151-1.jpg

1st iteration. The camera housing hit the back of the mirror housing and wouldn't give the correct viewing angle that I wanted, even with cutting and grinding of the camera housing. Had a mirror company reproduce the original mirrors(metal backing). Used plexi galss to mount the camera and the frame of the RX7, and then bonded that to the back of the mirror.
P4190190.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

P4190192.jpg

2nd iteration removed the body of the camera housing and fashioned a new mounting from a piece of scrap plastic. This allowed the angle needed for better visibility.
P1010100.jpg

The side cameras act perfectly with the rear view camera. You don't have to guess if there is anyone beside you, overtaking or being overtaken.

Bill

Bill,

That is a very slick install in the side mirror pods!

It looks like you are using a web cam now?

If so, the USB Camera app has a "Mirror Display" mode to reverse the image as well

Bill,
I think it would be beneficial for all to find out where these products can be found. Being not a big computer geek it would help those of us that want the newer/better gear. So where would we find this stuff?? How would we make it compatible with 12 volt systems, etc. The winter is almost here and it would be a good time to outline those jobs.

Bill

I've decided to use a Logitech C270 webcam. Its just $18, outputs 720 lines of resolution, and compact at .75" x 1.0" x 2.75". The Logitech C270 webcam is meant for indoor use, so I tore it apart and encapsulated all the electronics in RTV, except the camera lens.

The webcam connects via USB, and then I'm using the The USB Camera app to view the image on a 7" Android tablet.

I tested it and the image is quite good for a rear view while driving. The lens angle is a bit narrow to see all the back bumper for backing up, but its a good compromise.

Attachments

• IMG_3645.JPG
    IMG_3645.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3646.JPG
    IMG_3646.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 275
Couple of questions.
1. Are you going to use it for just backup or full time.
2 What is the view angle(FOV)? 90, 120, 170?
3. Where are you mounting the camera?

I ask because I want something for full time, which would have to have 12 volt usage. I guess you could add an inverter for the 120 stuff. The Cmos stuff gives a very slight greenish hue with the color image. I may have to stick to the usual stuff for what I want out of the system(90 degree FOV and multiple cameras). I have one outlet that wants to talk to me about my needs. I would love to go ccd, but I have yet to find any with 90 degree FOV. Also hard to justify the cost of the tablet for just this function.

Bill

Many Android tablets have a separate charge port from the USB port. You can usually find a 12VDC charger that will work for a tablet.

The Logitech C270 lens field of view is 60 degrees.

I plan to use the camera for backing up and to compliment the mirrors while driving.
  • After driving my SLC in traffic for a while, I really think a rear view camera is requirement. Even with the hippo mirrors, there is a blind spot directly behind the center of the car.
  • When backing up in a tight place, I need a spotter behind me to ensure I don't hit something.
  • I added round convex mirrors to the hippos to help the side view blind spots.
For now, the camera will be mounted in the rear opening where the exhausts exit. Later on, I may drill a small pin hole in the tail to mount it more inconspicuously.

I'm justifying the Android tablet cost by letting it do all the info-tainment functions of rear view camera, radio, MP3, navigation, travel apps, etc. The total cost will be around $300, plus speakers:
$200 7" Android Tablet (ebay.com)
$ 18 Logitech C270 webcam (ebay.com)
$ 6 USB extension cable (monoprice.com)
$ 6 ear bud audio extension cable (monoprice.com)
$ 20 USB Webcam app (Google Play Store)
$ 25 Stereo amplifier (ebay.com)
$ 20 12VDC tablet charger (ebay.com)​

Attachments

• IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
The next step in configuring a tablet based info-tainment system is selecting the apps. Each operating system has its own online library of applications available for download to your tablet. The good news is that Apple iTunes, Google PlayStore & Microsoft WindowsApps have thousands of apps to choose from. The bad news is that they have thousands of apps to choose from.

After spending many hours downloading and trying apps, here are the apps that I think are good choices for an info-tainment system. Your preferences may differ.

Music Apps
  • TuneIn plays local FM radio stations and Podcasts
  • Spotify and Mog will let you download and save music for offline use
  • Pandora finds music based upon your past selections
  • GooglePlay & iTunes lets you download music for local playback
  • Podcatcher or DoggCatcher is good for downloading podcasts for offline playback
  • Equalizer improves sound quality with a bass booster, a 5 frequency band slider control panel, as well as presets by music genre.
  • Car Tunes and PowerAmp play stored MP3s with a nice car-like interface
Maps, Navigation, Traffic Apps
  • Google Maps is the gold standard for navigation and traffic congestion. Its mainly used online, but it can save a small amount of map data for offline use.
  • NavFree USA and CoPilot GPS let you download maps for the entire USA. Then you can search for destinations and navigate without an Internet connection. They have maps for most other geographies as well.
Travel Information Apps
  • GasBuddy shows local gas stations and their gas prices
  • Yelp helps you locate local gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc. It also provides phone numbers and ratings.
Other Apps
  • Weatherbug shows local weather conditions, radar map and forecast
  • Torque can be a secondary instrument cluster to monitoring your car's performance. It can display engine OBDII trouble codes, cornering G-forces, acceleration, 0-60, and quarter-mile times. Torque requires a wireless Bluetooth OBDII transmitter like the PLX Kiwi Bluetooth ($20).
It is possible to use a tablet offline, but function will be limited
rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1243-slide3.jpg

Last edited:
Back