Tail Surgery

I shipped my tail case to RCR yesterday.

Gosh, I wish I would have known. When ever possible, I like to do things locally...I'll keep you in mind for the next time.

I would like to come over to see your car when you take delivery. I have an LS1 and G50 03 to get my own build started someday.

LS3 Motor Mounts

I'm building a street car, so I want motor mount isolators to reduce NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) in the cabin. My LS3 came with the C6 Corvette motor isolators, but they were too flexible for the SLC application. I looked at all the LS motor mount / isolators out there. The recommended Pfat isolators would do the job, but I thought $260 was outrageous for couple padded rod ends.

I decided to use a biscuit isolator that is commonly used in Hot Rods. If needed, this style of isolator can be tightened to reduce engine movement further.

I then fabricated the mounts from 2x2" square steel tube. The mounts are extra long, so they can be trimmed to fit the SLC cross member when my kit arrives. There is a slot in the back of the mounts so the underside of the isolator can be accessed. The mounts will be positioned so the slots are hidden when looking down into the engine bay.

Total cost was $26.

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Ken,

Yup, I plan to fabricate mounts with isolators for the rear mounts as well. I'll have to wait until the SLC kit arrives to work on them. Does anyone have PICs of rear mounts/isolators they fabricated?

The Hinson mounts you referenced look much more substantial than the Pfat units, and worth their $165 asking price. Dang....I did not see these in my search.

Did you increase the overal height of the engine? height is no beuno here, pretty damn tight as is

The engine and transaxle must move as one or you could end up with stress cracks.

Too complex for me; I only understand to man up and solid bolt everything together ... there, no movement, nice and simple :laugh:

I plan to slam the motor as low as I can get it.

If I leave sparks behind me, I'll know I need to raise it 1/2 inch.

arr...arrr...arr:shocked:

I plan to slam the motor as low as I can get it.

If I leave sparks behind me, I'll know I need to raise it 1/2 inch.

arr...arrr...arr:shocked:

lulz

Dry sump?

Corvette wet sump pan is like 1/16'' above the front crossbeam and maybe 1/8'' or so (best guess) above the chassis rails, so, um, yea, basically stock height is the max drop unless things have changed

I have just a stock LS3 (wet sump).

So if I drop it too low, I'll have a dry sump after the first speed bump:bigcry:

Thanks for the tip...

Last edited:
Heres some pic's of what I did, pretty much the same as Wayne's only I used Urethene bushings.

Attachments

• Engine adapter mount.jpg
    Engine adapter mount.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 648
  • Engine adapter mount 2.jpg
    Engine adapter mount 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 565
  • Hinson Engine mount.jpg
    Hinson Engine mount.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 556
  • Transaxle mount.jpg
    Transaxle mount.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 585
  • Transaxle mount 2.jpg
    Transaxle mount 2.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Adapter plate bushing installed.jpg
    Adapter plate bushing installed.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 519
  • Adapter plate mounting hole.jpg
    Adapter plate mounting hole.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 540
  • Adapter plater bushing and sleeves.jpg
    Adapter plater bushing and sleeves.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 535
  • EngineMountComparison2.jpg
    EngineMountComparison2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Grant,

Thanks for posting the PICs. That helps a lot.

I noticed in one of the PICs that you built custom collectors for your LS7 headers. Did you build up a 3" pipe or did you shape a 4" pipe to the collector's shape?

Do you have any PICs of the custom collector?

Here's some pic's they did start life out as 3" elbows and I had some flanges water jet cut. I have seen flanges on Ebay as well. It was pretty simple to do and they worked out pretty good I have them mocked up to the mufflers so far not shown in the pic's the 180 deg turn back and out the sides. I want to finalize a few more things before I place the turn outs. If need be I will have room for two more mufflers if I find it still to loud.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Grant

Attachments

• _MG_5748.jpg
    _MG_5748.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 522
  • _MG_5749.jpg
    _MG_5749.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 491
  • _MG_5747.jpg
    _MG_5747.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 520
  • _MG_5750.jpg
    _MG_5750.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 525
  • _MG_5751.jpg
    _MG_5751.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 495
  • _MG_5752.jpg
    _MG_5752.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 500
  • _MG_6088.jpg
    _MG_6088.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 542
I did a few calculations and found that a 4.2" circumference pipe would span the LS7 oval flange. A 4" pipe can easily be expanded to 4.2" with a pipe expander. So expand a 4" elbow and use a simple vise to shape it into a oval shape and vwola, it fits the LS7 flange. I bought a pair of water jet cut LS7 flanges for $45 to try.

The challenge is to make a larger 4' radius elbow fit within the confining space, run it thru a 4" to 3" adapter and the rest is easy...yea right!:shocked2:

Bill it depends where you want to come out with it. I don't know what your plans are,
but I had to make it turn real fast to get them out where I routed mine.
I wouldn't have been able to do it using 4" elbows. The pic's don't really show it well but the turn out is nearly plumb with the back edge of the flange it is a very quick turn and it has to swoop upwards a bit as well. post pic's I would like to see how they turn out.
Cheers,
Grant

Grant - I have the same Flowmaster mufflers - the engine has not been started yet so I don't know what they'll sound like - hopefully not too loud or sound like a tug boat.

Where did you get the band clamps I see around the muffler?

Thx, Mike

Grant, I was afraid of that!

The tight confines will be a challenge for the exhaust routing. I'm sure it will be a head scratcher, once I get my SLC kit and have the motor installed.

Back