Grant, I was afraid of that!

The tight confines will be a challenge for the exhaust routing. I'm sure it will be a head scratcher, once I get my SLC kit and have the motor installed.

It's only tight if you're trying to do something silly like use mufflers ...... I found there to be pleeeeeeeeeeenty of room :D

Shark, We have an industrial toy store here called Greggs distributing they have pretty much everything you can think of, these are just HD Stainless 6" hose clamps it's the brackets that you will have to make I have them drawn up in CAD along with most everything else I have fabricated for the car if needed I can email them to you but you will need CAD to open the files. I have made some custom oil cooler mounts as well to the Setrab coolers that work great if you are going out the sides with your exhaust this should work well I am hoping the draft from under the car will flow throw these with out any help of shrouds or fans. Also I have drawn up a complete set of screens for the inlets and rear, I haven't had the side vents laser cut yet as I might modifiy them to incorporate heat shields as well as for the air intake ports at top rear of the clam I have them drawn up as well but I am working on a cold air box and they might be reworked. Here are some pic's.
Cheers,
Grant

Attachments

• _MG_6099.jpg
    _MG_6099.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 693
  • _MG_6100.jpg
    _MG_6100.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 605
  • oil cooler brackets 1.jpg
    oil cooler brackets 1.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 760
  • oil cooler installed.jpg
    oil cooler installed.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 647
  • honeycomb screens.jpg
    honeycomb screens.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 645
The screens for the air inlets look great! I'd like to see what they look like once get a chance to install them.

They certainly look like strong parts Grant...make sure to rubber mount the coolers....they fail quickly/easily unless you do....

Heatshields around your mufflers too....air is a great insulator...so having a small airgap will really help keep the muffler heat soak down....

Speaking of LS7 headers, I just got mine installed. I found a new "undamaged" pair on eBay for $150, and ordered them over 3 weeks ago. When the headers arrived, I wondered if the seller was "Hockey Mask" Jason. You know, the guy with a chainsaw fetish. You can see in the PICs the giant gash in the port flange...That's gotta hurt!

The Seller did the right thing and sent me a new pair, but it took a while to resolve.

I dry polished the stainless steel headers. Now she's all dressed up, but has nowhere to go....yet

Attachments

• IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_2706 (2).jpg
    IMG_2706 (2).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_2740.JPG
    IMG_2740.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 736
Now she's all dressed up, but has nowhere to go....yet

Looking good - I still wonder about your waterpump routing on the d/s ..... the amount you have to go up almost makes it the high point in the system. Might make it either very difficult to bleed or very difficult to access a remote fill/expansion tank.

Alex,

You may be right. I'm going to try it, but I may have to change it when I get my SLC kit and mock up the engine mounts.

Wow Bill makes you wonder what he was thinking to do that, pretty nasty glad to hear that it all work out.
Sorry Bill I should probably start my own build thread instead of hijacking yours here :)
Thanks for the tips Fran, I have plans for heat shields and will be cerma-coating the entire system once it is completed I also have thermo wrap for most of it.
As for the coolers, The brackets are not totally ridged and have a fair bit if lateral flex
the two brackets running the width are only to support the loose side. I haven't dealt with set up like this before so I will take heed and rubber mount them If you figure I should. Doing so may require an extra bracket to the unsupported side to stop them from moving to much.
Cheers,
Grant

Those LS7 manifolds polished up nicely. Probably the most bang for the buck of any part you could buy. Brand new take-offs are usually available on ebay for $175-200 for the pair.

Last edited:
Top 10 things to do while waiting for your SLC kit to arrive

Here are the top 10 things to do while waiting for your SLC kit to arrive:
  1. Finish off all those "Honey-Do" items now, so you can focus on the build when the kit hits your garage door.
  2. Be a hunter / gatherer for all those parts you know you're gonna need.
  3. Clean and de-junk your workspace
  4. Use the SLC as an excuse to buy more tools
  5. Eat Ramen noodles every night and save your pennys toward paying off the SLC balance
  6. Give your spouse lots of extra attention so she feels secure and loved, because you're going to ignore her once the SLC arrives
  7. Get the drive-train ready to drop in and start. That includes the motor, transaxle, the G50/LS conversion (clutch, pressure plate, adapter plate, release fork, slave cylinder), starter, wire harness, fuel pumps, fuel filters, fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail quick disconnect, front motor mounts, etc.
  8. Read every post in the builder forums on GT40s, FFCARS (GTM) and thefactoryfiveforum (GTM)
  9. Read the assembly manual again
  10. Polish something

Attachments

• IMG_2745.jpg
    IMG_2745.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
HINT!
I have been using Busch's aluminum polish excusively. It makes an easy job of polishing, has some additives that protect the alloy too. I also wipe on some Ballistol
when finished polishing. Wipe-on-wipe-off the Ballistol. After a couple of years, the original polish job looks like it was done yesterday.

Yup, I switched to Busch's aluminum polish as well. It does a great job.

I was considering Shark Hide to preserve the finish, but had heard that it blackens the finish somewhat.

This is the first I've heard of "Ballistol". Does it dull/blacken the finish at all?

Yep....I shoot "Holy Black" (Black Powder Cartridge) and use either pure Ballistol or "Moosemilk" (Ballistol, Isopropyl Alcohol and Murpheys oil) to clean firearms. Should cause no harm.

Hi Doc,
My black powder "Moosemilk" concoction is much like yours, excepting I substute
ATF for the Murpheys. I do use a little more ISP than the recipe calls for.
Works a treat. I always do a final wipe down with ballistol before placing them back into extended storage.

Back