Re: Assy Drive before and after PIC

Meant to post this PIC with the others of my Assy Drive modification

Looks good - don't forget, as said above, about the water pump. Right now the water pump outlet will be smacked right up against the crossbeam. You'll have to turn it upwards, which means the water pipe will have to run above thedriver head pulley to clear it .... it can't be the highest point in the system, otherwise you'll have trouble bleeding air from it.

Tranaxle arrived

My G50/20 transaxle arrived. I cleaned it up and the case looked good (no cracks). So I drained the oil. The magnetic drain plug looked untouched and the oil was dark, but smelled OK, so I think its the original oil (30k miles). There was a medium amount of metalic mud stuck to the magnet, but it was very fine with no grit in it at all.

Then I got nervious, when I saw a pin stuck to the magnet! Its slightly rounded on 1 end and sheared off at the other end. Since everything else looks ok, I think the pin may just be a manufacturing remnant. Any one know what this is?

I pulled the tail case and the gears/syncro teeth look good.

Attachments

• G50-20 mag plug1.jpg
    G50-20 mag plug1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 516
  • G50-20 mag plug2.jpg
    G50-20 mag plug2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 587
  • G50-20 gears.jpg
    G50-20 gears.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 584
Re: Assy Drive before and after PIC

Yup saw your post.

I've shortened the coolant outlet a couple inches, down to the inner bead roll. I'm going to try a tight 90 degree molded hose. If it doesn't work, I'm only about $5 for the hose.

Also, I using a different radiator than the one that comes with the kit. All my coolant hoses will run to the passenger side.

Looks good - don't forget, as said above, about the water pump. Right now the water pump outlet will be smacked right up against the crossbeam. You'll have to turn it upwards, which means the water pipe will have to run above thedriver head pulley to clear it .... it can't be the highest point in the system, otherwise you'll have trouble bleeding air from it.

Attachments

• water pump outlet before and after.jpg
    water pump outlet before and after.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 574
Re: Tranaxle arrived

Then I got nervious, when I saw a pin stuck to the magnet! Its slightly rounded on 1 end and sheared off at the other end. Since everything else looks ok, I think the pin may just be a manufacturing remnant. Any one know what this is?

Looks like a roller needle out of a bearing, but could also be a location pin out of a selector fork, one of the 'P**** gearbox guru's might be more specific, could be an unfound remnant from previous overhaul work if your lucky...

Kind of looks like a roller bearing...although you would think you would see a lot more stuff on that magnet if it was.

Mystery Pin

I spoke with Stan from Gbox. He was certain that the mystery pin is a
"Reverse Lever Pathway Pin". It provides more precise guidance for the shift forks thru the “H” pattern. Interestingly, he tells me that the trans will function OK without it, but it "might" be a bit more difficult to get into the 5th/6th range.

I spoke again to the person who sold me the trans and he had no problem with 5th/6th. He seams like a straight shooter, so I think I'll go forward with it as is and try it. There's no real danger of causing significant additional damage, but I may end up pulling it at the end of next season.

PIC of shortened G50

I have a long tail G50 with the donut on the end, so the next step is to chop it off.

Does anyone have a picture of the chopped off long tail G50?

I'll take photos of mine in the morning and post them for you. I'm told that welding the end cap is somewhat difficult due to the porous casting.

Here you go. If you need additional photos, let me know. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• photor1.JPG
    photor1.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 757
  • photor2.JPG
    photor2.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 621
  • photor3.JPG
    photor3.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 613
I'm confronted with the same question at the moment. Also pondering Limited Slip Diff.

I was not going to also, but then thought about it. Trans cost me like $5000, oil cooler setup will be in the $300-400 range. If it keeps the trans happy and makes it last money very well spent. I plan to street mainly and track 1-2 times a year. As I say that I have this really odd feeling that when I track it once those numbers may just start to rise. :laugh:

Miracle Happens Here

I have my GM LS3 motor and a Porsche G50/20 transaxle, so it's time for a little magic. I called upon the Sorcerer’s Apprentice at Kennedy Engineering (Brett) to conjure up a love potion that will marry the brutish LS3 to the tenacious G50 shrew. To ensure a thorough captivation, Kennedy will provide a complete brew with:
  • LS to 90+ G50 Flywheel with bolts
  • LS Pilot Bearing and Retainer
  • 90+Turbo clutch kit with street Race organic disc
  • Bosch SR 0429X starter
  • Set of 90+ G50 transaxle mounting studs
I searched all over the web and was not able to find the long M10 G50 mounting bolts that are spec'd in the SLC manual. Kennedy had a great price of just $14 for the set of 4 bolts.

rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1096-miracle-happens-here.jpg

Last edited:
G50 tail Surgery

Ben,

Thanks for the PICs.

I played with the idea of doing the G50 tail surgery myself, but I think I'll let the experts at RCR handle it for me.

Bill, I live in NC, and maybe I can help you out with the "tail surgery" as I own a machine and fab shop not far from Charlotte.
Phil

Back