Tire Selection

I've been tire shopping for my street SLC. I've read a bunch of tire specs, reviews, etc. I'm leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are a non-run-flat tire, so they are a bit lighter (25 & 32lbs) and more compliant than most ZO6 replacements. Tire Rack customers rate the Super Sport as the #1 Summer Performance tire.

In particular, they have the best wet weather traction rating. That may help my reoccurring might-mare about 75MPH pirouettes in the rain...Yikes :shocked2:

Are there any other recommendations for street tires?

Those, and the Sport Cup variants, are probably the most high-performance tires for all-around use, IMO.

I've seen several SLCs with the Nittos, and driven one with them. They are OK tires, but I'd like to see more feedback. Limits are higher with the Michelins, as you would expect.

Re: Tire Selection

I've been tire shopping for my street SLC. I've read a bunch of tire specs, reviews, etc. I'm leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are a non-run-flat tire, so they are a bit lighter (25 & 32lbs) and more compliant than most ZO6 replacements. Tire Rack customers rate the Super Sport as the #1 Summer Performance tire.

In particular, they have the best wet weather traction rating. That may help my reoccurring might-mare about 75MPH pirouettes in the rain...Yikes :shocked2:

Are there any other recommendations for street tires?

Hi Bill,

I also have Michelin Pilot Sport-II's on my car.

They cost a bit more than some of the other tires mentioned, but you just can't go wrong with them. Especially for a good high performance street tire.

Of course everyone has their preferences in tires. But I also feel that you in this case you truly get what you pay for.

Take Care,

Mike

I was thinking the RS3 would be a good combo for the street and track if I only had one tires. The RE11 might be ok also. I got the 275 front and 305 rear for the street.

I did end up getting two sets now instead of one so it is more dedicated for each. My street tires are the Hankook V12 as they have good wet weather for sure and ok dry, plus they are pretty quiet. The price of $850 for 4 new with a rebate makes it nice. I drove my buddies car with them and they feel ok, but not super sticky, not that you need that for the street driving. I do not see how someone could bring the SLC to the tires limits on the street and be safe at all. On the track I will have R6's or others, useds as I am cheap and not the best driver to get it all out of the tires and I only track a few times a year in this car. New tires would be better, but that extra second or two is not going to make my HPDE any better and lower cost tires means more money for more track days. This way I can get the best of both worlds. I got used grand sport wheels off ebay and they are actually pretty light for what they are, but I think only the real OEM ones are like that. ZO6 wheels can be had for a good price also and sometimes with tires for good prices.

I drove my buddies car with them and they feel ok, but not super sticky, not that you need that for the street driving. I do not see how someone could bring the SLC to the tires limits on the street and be safe at all. On the track I will have R6's or others, useds as I am cheap and not the best driver to get it all out of the tires and I only track a few times a year in this car. New tires would be better, but that extra second or two is not going to make my HPDE any better and lower cost tires means more money for more track days. This way I can get the best of both worlds.
You make WAY too much sense to be posting this nonsense ;)

What is the shipping weight of a SLC kit when it leaves RCR? That would include chassis, suspension, wheels, tires, body, and all the various parts tossed in the cabin.

Wow, that's lighter than I thought it would be! So assuming:
- 375 for a LS motor
- 150 for a G50 trans axle
-50 for fluids
- 100 for sound deadening, upholstery, radio
- 100 for misc

Total for a street car should be about 2000. Does that sound about right?

IMO more like 2250 all up with race tail, a little heavier for street tail.
I came up with a shipping weight of closer to 1400 pounds than 1200.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Grant, I thought your neck of the woods was full of cute moose's up there in the great frozen north. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Howard, ever meet the women up here? trust me the moose are friendlier ;) LOL.
Sorry Bill we'll get back to your build tread.
Cheers,
Grant

Howard, ever meet the women up here? trust me the moose are friendlier LOL.
Sorry Bill we'll get back to your build tread.
Cheers,

Alberta, where the men are men and the women are men! Beefarillo's I am told! Try coaxing them with a pork chop...wink!

Tried that Jack, They won't eat anything they don't kill themselves
04.gif

We have our share too. I knew a one that wouldn't hesitate to kill and gut a wild hog. Bring home the real bacon thing I guess..

Alberta, where the men are men and the women are men! Beefarillo's I am told! Try coaxing them with a pork chop...wink!

Sadly, no more. Gone are the days when you could take a rifle onto the bus and nobody would say boo here :(

I'm basically as downright awesome as they come - I love guns, money, cars, oil, money, oil, guns, cars, women - and I'm in the extreme minority these days =(

edit: Oh, I also like puppies!!!!!! See - proof!! - if any of you forum members qualify, please do contact me! :D

hg1.jpg

Sadly my carefully placed banner did not illicit the attention I hoped it would at the time - I did have a police officer attempt to approach me to have a chat about it while I was trolling by a local high school though. But it's all good, because the next time I went by the high school I made sure to go incognito so I wouldn't be recognized:

sg3.jpg

Don't worry though, it's not the least bit creepy because I'm still not 30 yet, so it's all good :D

(sorry for the thread jack Bill :D )

Last edited:
I just got back from a sailing trip around St Martin, St Barth, Saba, Prickly Pear Island and Anguilla with some Canadian couples. At one of the islands we dingy-ed in for lunch and to grab some WiFi time.

When I saw the posts below I started laughing, and the Canadian women asked me what was so funny. All I dared say was "Oh, its just car stuff".:gorgeous:

Fuel Pressure Regulator selection

I need a Fuel Pressure Regulator for my LS3. My understanding is that the LS3 EFI needs 58-60PSI.

Any recommendations for a Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Last edited:
Back