I drove up to check on my car that's having some paintwork done, and ran into my friend Bill. (Rumbles). Bill was hard at work doing body prep to get the SCL just right, before it gets painted. The gaps between the panels of this car are going to be amazing. So I took a couple of "Spy Photos", and snuck them onto the web... But I got caught. I barely made it out alive!

I think you guys are going to be blown away when you see this car come out of the paint booth... I know I can't wait.

Stay tuned!

Mike

Last edited:
I think you guys are going to be blown away when you see this car come out of the paint booth... I know I can't wait.

Stay tuned!

Mike

Great spy work Mike. :thumbsup:

Following the HR Build and how Bill's attention to detail I, most certainly, agree.

^ looked through the linked photo's, and that's one classy GTM interior. Did Bill do that too?
Thank you Kris.

Bill had an interior done by the The Custom Stitching Co. They collaborated and came up with a very sweet interior for the SLC. This car will definitely be the "total package" when it's done.

I see a few magazine profiles in his future.

Mike

I call Mike's GTM and my SLC the "Step Sisters". The Step Sisters have spent the last 5 months together at the Custom Stitching Co (interior shop) and now at Dents Charlotte (Paint shop). See Post 838 on this thread for PICs of my interior.

I think Mike's car will be one of the finest GTMs out there as well. Maybe we need a Step Sister photo shoot!

I think these 2 cars demonstrate how the Charlotte area has become a Motor Head Mecca. Charlotte/Mooresville/Concord is the home of NASCAR and the Charlotte Speedway, so there is a strong car culture here. I've been told that more race teams are based in the Charlotte area than any other metropolitan area within the North America. The local race teams include NASCAR as well as other series such as F1 and Indy cars.

All those race teams need experts and performance parts, so a whole industry of businesses has spun off to serve the teams. Within 20 miles of my home, I have access the country's top expertise in chassis fabrication, aluminum body fabrication, suspension experts, cooling experts, engine builders, machinists, coatings, carbon fiber fabricators, etc. Many of the top performance parts suppliers are here, such as Roush, Fluidyne, Kooks Headers, CV Products, Simpson Safety, Billy Boat exhaust, Steele Rubber Products, NPD, Fatman Fabrications, etc.

Heck, even Detroit Speed moved their headquarters here!

Last edited:
I agree. We are pretty lucky to have the resources around us that we do.

I'm just looking forward to being able to call them done, and head out on a couple of shake down runs.

Thank you for the compliment Bill. Much appreciated.

Mike

Look what I found in the Jegs catalog. Its a 1 1/4" 90 degree elbow. It looks like all you need to do is cut off one on the flared ends and stuff it in the upper water pump outlet of the LS3. That would be an easy way to gain the needed firewall clearance. Its only $16!

See Jegs PN 555-511175 -> JEGS Performance Products 511175, JEGS Universal Silicone Engine Coolant Plumbing Kit | JEGS Performance Products

555-511175.jpg

A while back someone asked how to mount the air intake tubing (sorry I don't remember what thread it was).

I prefer simple fixes, so here is how I did it. Just drill a 1/4" hole up thru the X-brace and install a riv-nut on the intake tube. I wouldn't use a nut inside the intake tube because if it ever comes loose, you will have your own Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang.

Attachments

• 20150602_133523.jpg
    20150602_133523.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 457
There are some new infotainment head units coming on the market that no longer have a CD player in them. That allows them to be made much shallower that a the traditional 1DIN / 2DIN units, so they will fit better in the shallow space behind the center stack in the dash.

For example, the Alpine iLX-007 uses Apple CarPlay to connect your iPhone on the road. It will display a rear view camera and it's only 3" deep. However, there is no Android support for the rest of us.

You have been gone long time Bill, is the car all painted now? Last the peanut gallery saw you were overalls deep in sanding dust.

Sorry...You are right, it has been too long.

I've been busy assisting the Body shop and learning a bit more about body and paint work.

My SLC is now painted, except the doors and some miscellaneous smaller parts. I hope to drive my SLC back home this coming week. I then have a couple weeks to reinstall the interior and other minor reassembly. I'm trying to have it ready to debut at the 9/25-9/27 Charlotte AutoFair. The AutoFair is big local car show.

Here's a simple question.

How much gear oil is needed in a Porsche transaxle?

The Porsche service manual says my G50-20 should take 3.7 liters. However, I think the fluid requirement is different when the transaxle is upside down.

I was cleaning my engine compartment over the weekend and noticed an inspection/fill hole on the side of the trans case (somehow I overlooked it before). I opened it and my fluid level was well below the inspection hole. I added another liter of fluid but the level is still well below the hole.

The inspection/fill hole location is offset to below the mid-point of the case when it was in its original orientation. So when the transaxle is flipped, the inspection/fill hole is now above the mid-point of the case.

Filling up to the current inspection/fill hole location would mean a greater percentage of the overall transaxle case would be fluid (vs air).

Attachments

• Transaxle inspection plug.jpg
    Transaxle inspection plug.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Bill,
This conversation has been discussed several times. I believe this is the most complete.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/32329-how-much-oil-run-inverted-porsche-930-a.html

Bill

Bill,

I read the thread and the consensus seams to be 4-5 qts for an inverted 930 transaxle. The 930 trans standard capacity is 3.7L, which is very close to the G50 family.

Conclusion
  • I've proven that the Porsche recommended 3.7L of gear oil is sufficient for an inverted G50 transaxle, since my G50 has suffered no damage after 2-3k miles.
  • However, 4-5 qts is recommended for a safety factor.

I have run mine in the 4 qt. range for the last couple of years without any problems. You will have to add a vent to the trans however. If you don't the pressure in the trans can build up and force the lube beyond the front seals. Documented in the link below. I put mine in the area of the fulcrum cover. Got the idea from Russ Noble
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/35620-venting-930-a.html
I did mine a little different in that I found a cap screw that is hollow and used it with some clear plastic tubing that is fuel tolerant. I had to braze a deflection cover on the hollow cap screw to keep the slosh from coming out the tube(never added the catch can). Noticed some fluid on the floor after a run. You might consider adding some heat shield protection for the trans also. Either aluminum shielding or the gold reflective foil.

Bill

Yup, I added a vent way back when I prepped the transaxle.

Basically, I converted the drain plug to a vent and the vent to magnetic drain plug (not shown in PIC below).

It took many long hours over the past few weeks, but we were able to debut my SLC at the Charlotte AutoFair this weekend. There were several work days that extended into 2AM - 5AM in the morning!

Unfortunately, it rained the entire weekend. I still drove my SLC to the Charlotte AutoFair and took the opportunity to water check my weatherstripping.

The Charlotte AutoFair is one of the largest shows in the USA, and I'm proud to announce that my SLC won a Top 5 Trophy!

Here's a few phone PICs. I'll get some better PICs when the sun decides comes out again.

Attachments

• AutoFair2.jpg
    AutoFair2.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 511
  • AutoFair3.jpg
    AutoFair3.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 479
  • AutoFair4.jpg
    AutoFair4.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 493
  • AutoFair5.jpg
    AutoFair5.jpg