SL-C powerplant possibility?

Seems to me the LSx engines have had a BUNCH of 24 hour and 12 hour races on them without any cooling problems.

There were some LS1, LS2 and LS6 engines in various cars and classes as well as the LSX. Two prevelant problems were throwing oil pump belts and the OEM serpentine tensioners would occasionally throw the belt on decelleration. Change was to KATECH tensioners. The DP cars are using the LS1/LS6 stock blocks without problems.

Okay, guys, here is yet another possibility for an SL-C engine:

First Details: Audi to Present RS 5 in Geneva

New Engine for 2011 Audi RS5

A close relative of the V10 which powers the high-performance R8 sports car, the high-revving V8 engine delivers its output from a displacement of 4,163 cm3. Like nearly every Audi gasoline engine, this one also operates via direct fuel injection known by the abbreviation FSI. This same technology has propelled the Audi R8 racing car to four triumphs at the classic endurance race in Le Mans. The common-rail system generates up to 120 bars of pressure.

Intensive fine-tuning of the dual-branch intake and exhaust system allows the undersquare engine to breathe freely; four adjustable camshafts and tumble flaps in the intake manifold facilitate mixture formation. The 4.2 FSI provides imposing torque and is right at home even at high revs – almost like a race engine. The engine delivers 331 kW (450 hp) at 8,250 rpm and – between 4,000 and 6,000 rpm - transmits a maximum of 430 Nm (317.15 lb-ft) of torque.

The 4.2 FSI propels the coupé’s 1,725 kilograms (3,802.97 pounds) in 4.6 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62.14 mph) to an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h (155.34 mph). Audi can increase that to 280 km/h (173.98 mph) upon request.

Efficiency is standard in every Audi; the RS 5 is no exception. The ultra-powerful eight-cylinder engine averages 10.8 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (21.78 miles US mpg) - far less than its main competitors. This impressive figure is due in part to the technologies from the Audi modular efficiency platform. The engine and the entire drivetrain have been optimized to minimize friction, the oil pump operates on demand, and an energy-recovery system conserves energy during coasting and braking.
011__scaled_600_045.jpg

Allex if you want the size of a LSX but are looking for a lighter block check out RHS. They now have an aluminum block. will accept 4.600" stroke crnak and 4.165" bore.
This comes out to 501ci

Bassanio,

I can understand Alex's point of view: The LSx is the de rigor of the SL-C so far. Conversely, the Audi V8 offers something different to those who abhor American muscle, wanting high revs, decent HP for a light road car, DOHC design, etc. It would cost a "King's ransom" is suppose to get one! But it sure looks pretty. Thanks for pointing this one out!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Turbocharge that Audi engine like the old RS6 and then see how much power you're making!! With the direct injection you can get away with a higher compression ratio as opposed to standard injection or carbureted engines. I'm guessing they're probably in the 10:1 - 11:1 compression ratio area. This can safely handle 6-10 psi of boost with a proper intercooler. OR, you could always run it on gaseous fuel or ethanol and then crank the boost to 20+ psi...

I love all these other motor ideas, I think the V10 audi motor or M5 motor would fit nicely if the MB V12 (or any V12) is a bit long but when you look at the work involved in comparison to the LS series of motors you would need to be the sort of person who has lots of time or isn't too worried about how long the build takes. Getting the FI up and running happily also would take a fair bit and that's before looking at the cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see anyone else try a build with something a little unusual, i just know it's beyond my ability/patience/budget/timeframe.

Bassanio,

I can understand Alex's point of view: The LSx is the de rigor of the SL-C so far. Conversely, the Audi V8 offers something different to those who abhor American muscle, wanting high revs, decent HP for a light road car, DOHC design, etc. It would cost a "King's ransom" is suppose to get one! But it sure looks pretty. Thanks for pointing this one out!

Whilst I'm not really in the game for an SL-C, if you want a small capacity, high revving alternative to the LS series, I'd rather have a Toyota UZ V8 in any of it's forms.

Ultimately though, it's they that pays that chooses.

hey all,

I did a quick search, but I didn't seen anyone talking about using the MkIV Supra's 2jz in the sl-c? Why hasn't anyone considered using that motor?

And while I'm asking about the Japanese heavy hitters from the 90s, what about the RB26 from the R33/R34 Skylines?

Could either of these motors be successfully used? (No idea what kind of gearbox would work for either... could the ricardo box work?)

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Don't see why the 2jz or RB26 wouldn't work. That would be an amazing power package. Very dependable and big power possibilities. Go for it!! That's the best part about Fran's package, he built this car to accept just about any drivetrain package you can think of. Absolutely fantastic idea.

Getting a little on the long side I would imagine for the same reasons as why V12's haven't really been suggested, you've got an extra 2 cylinders to think about.

Lexus LFA V10???

4.8L, V10, 560HP, 354 ft.lbs stock, 9k redline.....

from wiki.....

"The LFA's engineers attempted to make the engine sound like that of a Formula One car with high revs"

"Lexus claims their engine can rev from idle to its redline in 0.6 seconds and an analog tachometer needle could not accurately track the LFA's changes in engine speeds."

"engine reportedly weighs less than the manufacturer's own 3.5-liter V6 engine."

Sounds good to me....if only you could find one.....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
"Lexus claims their engine can rev from idle to its redline in 0.6 seconds and an analog tachometer needle could not accurately track the LFA's changes in engine speeds."

Maybe if it's idling at 6,000 RPM I could see it hitting 9 grand in just over 1/2 second - but otherwise I think I'd have to raise the BS flag until I saw it with my own eyes.. And even then - I don't think I would believe it...

Remember that literally anyone can update Wikipedia... It's finding corroboration from a known authoritative source that's the challenge...

Directly from the Lexus website..

LEXUS - LFA - Car Features

idle to redline.. .6 sec!!

I personally would do a more exotic engine if i decide to build an sl-c .. why not.. yes its more money, but i say get more creative than sbc.. i mean its not a muscle car. i think it should sound like a proper race car.

I would look at a s85 engine (bmw e60 m5) and either go the dinan stroker route.. 628 bhp NA http://www.dinancars.com/store/product.php?productid=4742&cat=459page=2
Or a g power supercharger system.. 720hp ! G-POWER GmbH   M5 E60/E61

Or maybe the twin turbo 4.5 engine found in the audi rs6... I mean i guess gearbox fitment could be an issue, as i'm not sure of any application where its paired to a manual trans.

I definitely like the idea of boost! haha.. thats always exciting.. and yes i know many people prefer NA applications for track, but i like turbo cars.. haha ..maybe you could do a bmw s54 with a horsepowerfreaks turbo kit.. its a relatively inexpensive motor, definitely used ones available for buying and building. and they have a well developed turbo kit for it.

How about the audi fsi v10 twin turbo from the most recent rs6.. its like 580hp in stock form, maybe if you could mate it to a dual clutch trans, crank the boost up.. there's probably 750 hp to be had..

Hi Guys,

i drive a nissan r 33 Gtr with the twin turbo rb26 currently makes 580s hp on the stock bottom end and stock head with aftermarket cams and garret 2860r -5 turbos,rev limit is 9750

But i guess it will be too long for the Sl-c,i will try to measure it though

Cheers

Inside line had a story rumoring that the new Lotus Esprit may use the LFA V10 so the engine must be available. I expect you could order a complete LFA drivetrain from Toyota for six figure $$$ as long as it starts with something other than a 1.

Back