Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Had a little time this evening so thought I'd fit some of the rubber stripping I bought a while ago on the top foot well removable panel. I love this stuff, it gives a really nice professional finish and also makes a good seal between the panel and the lid.

build-august7.jpg

Looking good Trev. Try some silicone grease on those bushings, it wont hurt the material and works quite well.

Cheers
Phil

Bit more progress today. Had the springs fitted to the shocks by my local tyre fitters as I needed to get some new tyres for Fiancées car. I've now fitted 3 of the shocks with just one more of the rears to go

build-august8.jpg

Hi Trev looking REALLY good! Where did you get that rubber stripping from that you've put on your footwell access panel?

Hi all

Finally managed to get the front anti roll bar fitted. Took a little longer than a thought as I had to remove the radiator and pipes to make sure the plastic brackets were mounted in the right place but it's in now and looking good.

build-september1.jpg

Next steps are to make some brackets for the radiator to attach the fans and then refit the radiator and pipes and make an aluminium removable cover for the opening below the anti roll bar. Once that's done the pipes can be powder coated and the front panel rivetted and everything secured properly.

Getting there slowly

Yeah thanks for that Bill. Its mounted as high as possible without any of the bolts fouling the top chassis rail and just leaving enough room to get a spanner round the nuts at the back

Why not fit captive nuts? I used weld nuts on my chassis, but rivnuts would do a good enough job, as these bolts are that heavily loaded
Rgds,
Andy

Just a small update tonight. Made some brackets for my radiator using 3mm aluminium bar. I've also marked up the radiator to send down the road to have the brackets welded. Next job is to make the removable panel around the radiator pipes.

build-sepetember2.jpg

Made a front removable cover for the steering rack with an area for the radiator pipes to pass through and fitted all the rivnuts. The front of the car is almost done now so everything will have to be dismantled to get the panels and pipes powder coated.

build-september3.jpg

Hi all

Finally finished the front panels on the car and have now removed the radiator again, pipes, panels etc in order to deburr everything and get the panels ready to be powder coated along with the radiator pipes.

I just want to check something before I get these panels powder coated, I've made holes and access areas for all the steering and the pipes in both the front bulkhead panels. Is there anything else I will need to add to these panels as I'd like to get them off and coated so that I can get them finally rivetted into place and the steering and suspension fully torqued up and into place.

build-october1.jpg

build-october2.jpg

I just found a picture of Bill's Tornado and he appears to have the lines going through the panels above:

As long as you have given it some thought and know that those things will not be going through those panels then you're good to go.

Just as an after thought have you considered having your pipes ceramic coated? More expensive, but a better finish and would help control heat in the cabin.

As long as you have given it some thought and know that those things will not be going through those panels then you're good to go.

Just as an after thought have you considered having your pipes ceramic coated? More expensive, but a better finish and would help control heat in the cabin.

No I hadn't thought of that but that sounds like it might be a good idea. Do you know anywhere in the UK that does that?

Back