1149 Mono Replica

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Thank you all, it is great to have company here and know that folks are watching.

The 2011 Shelby reunion is at VIR, which is not too far from here. By then, it might be possible to bring 1149 there and show it off a bit. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Chuck

Supporter
The 2011 Shelby reunion is at VIR, which is not too far from here. By then, it might be possible to bring 1149 there and show it off a bit. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Keep us posted. Would like to see it.

And congratulations - that first start is always a memorable event.

Congratulations Jim, what a nice feeling that must be after all this time and hard work. Like many others on this forum, I have been following this build and anxiously await good news such as this. I'm looking forward to the day you get to drive this magnificent car, but no where near as much as you are :thumbsup:

Jas

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Just to add a note here: I've reviewed the posts above and I don't mean to imply that the fuel pump is leaking as a result of anything Andrew supplied or work he did. These are old units, the youngest of which is at least thirty or forty years old, and they can leak from other sites besides the switch seal. Andrew is working with me to try to diagnose and correct the problem, but that is not to say that any of this is his responsibility. As I said, all of these pieces are old and prone to various malfunctions.

Another good argument for someone tooling up to make these pumps again, new, but I suppose that is hopeless.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations on achieving Woomah!!!!

Pity about the fuel pump leak - I'm sure Andy can get you squared away!

Make sure you don't run it dry too long as water pumps hate being run dry..

Oil leak - any chance that it's one of the end-rails on the new intake? Possibly the oil pan bolts needing a snugging after the dyno time a couple of years ago...

Good luck and we're looking forward to some nice pictures!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
We think the oil leak was from valve cover bolts that were a bit too long, so they couldn't be snugged fully down, plus something weird with the remote oil filter, which may be cured with a new filter. I hope so. If it isn't that, we'll have to replace the remote oil filter head itself.

Brakes and clutch got filled and bled today. Cooling system gets filled tomorrow, while I am at work unfortunately- would rather be playing with the car, but someone has to earn the dosh for all this fun. The fuel pumps are still not behaving- we'll see if Andy can tell us how to sort all that out. The front suspension is back on. Pretty soon we'll have to take it off the jackstands and actually drive it. Lots of things getting buttoned up.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The latest: going up to see the car and how things are going on Sunday...have been busy with work all week. Ron has been cleaning up details like powder coating all the access panel covers, put in a different fuel pump (a Holley that was lying around, in order to get the car going and so we can get some test miles on it- the SW pumps are off the car and we are waiting for parts for them to see if we can get them sorted out), I think the dash is back in the car. I will have to bring the windscreen up there and tape it in or something, it's too cold to drive it with the wind howling through the whole car. In MD here, it looks like snow, a bit. It will be close, on getting some seat time before the weather becomes impossible for it.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

After following you're build for the last few years, I am so very happy that it won't be long before you can drive that beauty!

No one has put in the time, effort and enduring enthusisam that you have!

Here is wishing you some nice weather, clear roads and a big, big smile on you face!!!

Please post those pix from your first drive!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Lots of progress to be seen today (my friend Mike took some photos which hopefully I'll have before too long): all the access plates powder coated and waiting on screws, dash back in and looks terrific- even the little side fillers are in and painted. AND.......(big news).

.....the windscreen made it up to Ron's shop without cracking or breaking and IT FITS!!!!

..which is huge, because if it didn't, what would I do then? Very glad on that one. Also a very nice email from Andrew who in the midst of moving to a different area of UK is helping us get the SW pump problems sorted out.

I ordered a couple of hundred screws yesterday which ought to arrive Tuesday, and allow Ron to install all the access plates plus the windows and the louvered vents at the back, which were put in temporarily with the wrong hardware. Things may line up for a test drive within the coming week- I have the coming weekend off, so unless their is snow on the ground or it is raining, there's a good chance that 1149 will finally get her sea trial. Well, so to speak.

Chuck

Supporter
Great news! 28 degrees and snow flurries in the middle of the country, which does not bode well for you this coming week. Sure hope the weather hold out long enough for a good test ride.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Yes, I see it coming.... however, with windows in the car we can at least drive her up and down the road a bit and sort things somewhat. Shouldn't be too drafty, at least I hope not. It's LOUD when fired up, although it will be quieter outside.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It's going to be interesting. Actually, a week or so ago I suddenly developed Bell's Palsy, which includes hearing dysfunction on the affected side- things seem louder than they are. (interesting the other night playing a gig with my band, and had to stuff paper into my ear to cut the noise down) So you can bet I will bring ear plugs, if I can remember to do so.

Keep your fingers crossed for dry weather, beginning Thursday or so. I don't care if it's cold, but the first drive shouldn't be in the rain. for one thing, no wipers :)

Keith

Holy moly Jim, that's not nice. Did it go away OK? I had a friend that suffered and his face just drooped on one side, but it eventually went as quickly as it came and nobody could figure out how or why. That was in the '70's so I suppose they know much about it now... Congrats on the 'chequered flag' by the way. I know it's been a long hard road..

Back