F1 2010

The idea is to control costs, given that goal I suppose they could just say sorry you're out of engines. You don't race today. I think it's a good goal if in fact the rues are having a cost lowering or controlling effect. If there are no cost barriers then Ferrari and McLaren would win all the races with no one else on the grid. That would really be a snooze. Maybe more controls would be beneficial, take the Lotus budget and make that the cap. I think the Lotus would catch up a whole lot faster given more spending limits. No? It would be great if every team was equally funded and had maximum dollars to do whatever they wanted but, as in the rest of life that just isnt the case.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
From the Daily Mail:

Australian Grand Prix costs local taxpayers around £30m and MP calls for it to be scrapped

<SCRIPT src="http://scripts.dailymail.co.uk/js/diggthis.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 10:29 AM on 16th September 2010
The Australian Grand Prix has come under fire after figures showed the cost to Victorian taxpayers had ballooned 15-fold in the space of 11 years.
This year's event at Melbourne's Albert Park cost the Victorian government 49.3m Australian dollars (£29.5m) compared to 3.2m Australian dollars (£2m) in 1998/99.
Although attendance figures were up for this year's race at the end of March by 5,000 to 305,000, sales revenue had dropped by 30 per cent while costs had risen by almost 20 per cent.

article-0-08E71B8E000005DC-275_468x286.jpg
Champagne moment: Jenson Button celebrates winning this year's Australian GP

article-0-0A36A121000005DC-881_306x381.jpg
Big draw: The Aussie crowds flock to see Mark Webber

And independent state MP Craig Ingram raged: 'We're bailing out a millionaires' car race for these sort of dollars, I think we have got our priorities wrong.
'I think it is just outrageous. It has gone past a joke and it is time both sides of politics started to seriously reconsider the ongoing cost of taxpayers bailing out of this event.

'The cost for a car race when as a local member of parliament we struggle to get funding for health services, education, support services for disabled kids at schools, for roads and other infrastructure - I just think there is a whole range of services and other infrastructure which need that sort of money more than a car race.'
But Major Events Minister Tim Holding is convinced there is a wider picture that needs to be viewed, not just narrowing it down to the event over the weekend.
'The economic benefit to Victoria far outweighs the cost of staging the Formula One Grand Prix,' said Holding.

article-0-0B274F27000005DC-624_468x286.jpg
In the fast lane: Mark Webber has at least five more Grands Prix in Australia

'The race was seen by about 12.8 million people in Europe this year and the massive television exposure the grand prix receives has helped to build our world-wide reputation as a great place to visit and a great place to live.
'This year's grand prix attracted the biggest crowd in five years and a television audience of 4.6 million in Australia, and with Mark Webber in such good form we expect next year's grand prix will be even more exciting.'
The race is scheduled to be staged in Melbourne for the next five years.

Read more: Australian Grand Prix costs local taxpayers around £30m and MP calls for it to be scrapped | Mail Online

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I was sorry to see that Webber didn't get a drive through penalty.

What a thick skulled bum.,

I wasn't. He was on the curb as it was, so I couldn't see why he should move over any further or let off simply because LH wanted to crowd him from the outside. LH's team even radioed a "cautionary" message about the inevitable attempt to pass.

I thought LH handled the post incedent interview very well. Good guy. It's just one of those things me thinks, would have been interestig to see if MW could have held his line past the apex and NOT T-Boned Lewis. As it was Lewis didn't allow enough room for Mark's car on the inside and there was contact just before the apex.

Had Lewis allowed enough room at the apex I think Mark would have speared him right in the radiator, post apex. But we will never know. how ironic would that have been if Red Bulls took out Mclaren radiators in two closing races?

I wasn't. He was on the curb as it was, so I couldn't see why he should move over any further or let off simply because LH wanted to crowd him from the outside. LH's team even radioed a "cautionary" message about the inevitable attempt to pass.

I see it the same way Ox. LH was really crowding him and he couldn't reasonably move any further left without damaging his car.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
There comes a time when you are racing when you have to decide if you're going to give your competitior a few inches or be an asshole and crash - Webber has consistently shown that he is the latter.

Having raced formula cars for decades I don't think I am talking out of my ass.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
There comes a time when you are racing when you have to decide if you're going to give your competitior a few inches or be an asshole and crash - Webber has consistently shown that he is the latter.

Having raced formula cars for decades I don't think I am talking out of my ass.

Well I think you are.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I'm with Pete on this one.

When overtaking in either a straight line or in a corner you can't just chop across on someone until you are clear of them. And relying on the other driver to back out of it so the move can be completed safely always has a chance of ending in tears.

Hamilton was trying to squeeze Weber hoping no doubt that at that stage in the championship Mark was playing a percentage game and would play safe and it didnt work for him. Anyway I don't think Mark could brake any harder at that point and, without looking at a replay, from memory I think he already had a wheel up on the kerb. So in my view a racing incident between two determined drivers which Hamilton had more chance to avert than Weber.

But then had he given Mark the necessary room, Lewis would have been wrong footed for the next corner and the pass would not have been successful. He knew this, so it was an all or nothing move for him.

Well Doc I suppose Denis is the Official World Champion Sailing Helmsman then is he? Or perhaps just the winning skipper on his day?

Still don't get the analogy with sailing.

Anyway...

The row rumbles on. The Dwarf says he is going to look into the matter (be afraid), Frank Williams says he's in favour of Team Orders (no surprise there - he has never cared too much for his drivers) and Jenson Button says "I will walk away from F1 if they bring in team orders". In the meantime, Webber has thrown down the gauntlet and says "well, it looks as if I'm the No. 1 driver in the team now" I suppose meaning that he expects the illegal team orders to favour him now, which they can't because they're banned.

The makings of a good race tomorrow but God forbid if Massa or Vettel dare to overtake their team mates!!!

Here's two examples in the sailing world. It's real simple.

1. Low key example: my mates and I take three different boats to a regatta hosted by a neighboring club (J22, Frers 40, and some Santa Cruz 50 for example). Needless to say, we're all looking to win, but we're going to help eachother where possible. I'm going to cover a competing boat to one of my mates, steal wind, block a lane, etc - anything it takes to help myself, and my mates, win. This is very normal practice.

2. Formal example: my college sailing team is racing in a large reginonal regatta. There are several of us from the team out on the course in the same type of dingy (505, for example). We can win as a team (same as a F1 Constructors Championship) and we can win as individual sailors (same as an F1 World Champion). If I'm not in the running for winning as an individual, I'm going to do everything I can to help one of my teammates (who is better placed, and may be in the running for an individual win) to win. I'm going to block, steal wind, take a lane, stall, beat up, overlap, whatever....that's all standard practice. And, it's going to be my coach (team boss) that's going to be calling the shots and telling me what blocking tactics and strategy to take if I'm going to be sacrificed that day for the betterment of a team member.

This is all normal stuff in team sail boat racing. I don't how much simpler I can make it.

It will be interesting later in the season (probably the last race) if these 2 guys get close and Webber has to pass Hamilton to win the championship !!!!!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,
Your wager is looking like a total lost cause with every passing race. RBR will romp away in Japan I am reliably informed. The only 'nigger in the woodpile' ( no racist intent at all. For most of my life that has been common parlance, without derogatory connotation) would be Vettel and Hamilton sparring with each other. Seems they come from different tribes.
Can I elect the Kings Head or even the Spade Oak to luncheon and then drink your wager?

Malcolm

Supporter
I think it has to be a racing incident. Lewis' first DNF came about when he was in the rearwards car and the second when he was in the forward most car. There is an element of luck involved as to which car is going to break and on these two occaisions it was one with Lewis in. It so easily could have been the other car on both occaisions. However these incidents are a result of modern racing tactics ie contact is more acceptable than it used to be. Singapore is a very closed up circuit ie walls all round. If every circuit was like this and always had been with no run off anywhere, would we get the modern approach to racing and contact as we have? I suspect not.

It was a racing incident. But I think the pass was completed on the straight before the corner. Hamilton had got the back of his car in front of Webber's on the straight. Then Webber broke later into the corner, and took out Hamilton.

To my mind, Webber made a lunge up the inside that was never on and yet another red bull takes out a McLaren. ;)

Keith

Here's two examples in the sailing world. It's real simple.

1. Low key example: my mates and I take three different boats to a regatta hosted by a neighboring club (J22, Frers 40, and some Santa Cruz 50 for example). Needless to say, we're all looking to win, but we're going to help eachother where possible. I'm going to cover a competing boat to one of my mates, steal wind, block a lane, etc - anything it takes to help myself, and my mates, win. This is very normal practice.

2. Formal example: my college sailing team is racing in a large reginonal regatta. There are several of us from the team out on the course in the same type of dingy (505, for example). We can win as a team (same as a F1 Constructors Championship) and we can win as individual sailors (same as an F1 World Champion). If I'm not in the running for winning as an individual, I'm going to do everything I can to help one of my teammates (who is better placed, and may be in the running for an individual win) to win. I'm going to block, steal wind, take a lane, stall, beat up, overlap, whatever....that's all standard practice. And, it's going to be my coach (team boss) that's going to be calling the shots and telling me what blocking tactics and strategy to take if I'm going to be sacrificed that day for the betterment of a team member.

This is all normal stuff in team sail boat racing. I don't how much simpler I can make it.

Don't patronise me Cliff and this 'style' of sailing may exist in YOUR sailing 'world' but not in ours as I have previously stated.

Back