Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Bill - Did you not receive a drill template from RCR? If not I can scan the one I have and e-mail it to you. Sorry, I don't have a picture of it installed.

Dave L

I'm trying to figure out the gas spring struts for the doors.
  • Does anyone have a PIC showing their struts installed?
  • Where do you drill the mounting hole in the aluminum footwell?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter

Attachments

• SLC - Driver's Side Lower Door Strut Mounting Template (RCR).pdf
    301.2 KB · Views: 346
  • SLC - Passenger's Side Lower Door Strut Mounting Template (RCR).pdf
    300.6 KB · Views: 262
The template I was sent and use has different measurements. It is for the door struts that are 130# and 12".
The way of measuring is the same but the measurements are:
8.5" up from the floor and 4.75" over from the chassis upright.

Make sure you have and use the 1.5" stand offs that keep the struts away from the chassis. They will keep your doors in the same place after aligning them without the struts.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting - I checked the struts I was sent and they are indeed the 12", 130-lb units. I'll have to update the templates I was sent. Bill - sorry for unintentionally leading you astray.

Dave L

The template I was sent and use has different measurements. It is for the door struts that are 130# and 12".
The way of measuring is the same but the measurements are:
8.5" up from the floor and 4.75" over from the chassis upright.

Make sure you have and use the 1.5" stand offs that keep the struts away from the chassis. They will keep your doors in the same place after aligning them without the struts.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Interesting to see your results Bill as there is virtually no information on how/where to mount them. The ones I received are 16" in length and marked 100lbs. WTF?

I too, have the 12" 130# struts. My template also says to drill from inside the footwell. So, I assume the template is for the inside of the footbox. Measured the template and got 8.125" from the floor and 4.75" from the upright tube. My guess is accuracy may vary a bit, relatively insignificant if it is 1/4"-3/8" off. The more critical measurement is the attachment point on the lower door hinge where you must drill a 5/16" hole for the upper strut mount. I believe the change in strut force was to accomodate the weight of the optional inner door panels, and to prevent the last few inches of travel from allowing the door to close rapidly.

Dave,

Thanks for the template. However I have the 100lb 16" struts and the template is for the 12" struts.

They seem clumsily large in the small space, so I'm considering buying the 12" struts.

What is the manufacturer name and part number on the 12" struts?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Bill if you are using the optional inner door finishing panels like me the stock supplied springs will most likely be to weak. Hopefully other members can chime in with a recommendation if using them. I've read about this in the past but just can't find it.

Bill if you are using the optional inner door finishing panels like me the stock supplied springs will most likely be to weak. Hopefully other members can chime in with a recommendation if using them. I've read about this in the past but just can't find it.

I couldn't find it either, but remember reading that too. I was under the impression that the 130# struts corrected this. Somebody help...

Reading thru this thread and Ken's reference, there is a very wide spread of gas struts discussed for the SLC. They range from 50lb - 275lb.

I've installed the inner door panel and I plan to upholster them. I plan to use the standard strut mounting hole on the door pivot arm.

For that vanilla scenario, does someone have an installed strut that is working well?

What's the current status on the new e-brake cable? I'm ready to road test and would feel better with a functional ebrake, just in case...

Back