Dimi's Build DRB #68

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Dimi,

That is a VERY nice exhaust setup (even the "quiet one" looks great). I hope you won't be too upset if you see something like that on my car in a year or so !!

BTW, did you set up a side shift for the g'box ? (the end-plate looks cool & custom, but no shift rod) ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Peter
The photos of the exhaust system were taken while it was still being put together.
The system is full stainless and has been ceramic coated and I will post some more photos when I refit it back in the car.

The quiet mufflers are mild steel and are only intended for the obvious short term requirement.

Yes I have fitted a side shifter from CMS and Renegade provided the end plate along with a host of mods to the tranny.

Dimi

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Dimi,they say "imitation is the best form of flattery" and now I see why PR told me to wait awhile before deciding on my final exhaust system(something to do with some ongoing r&d by one of his "customers").Looks great and will now will be using your set up on mine,so thanks for posting the pics and keep them coming.Nice work.

Hoppy

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Exhaust system has come back from the ceramic coaters and has now been fitted into the car for the last and final time.

Attachments

• PICT0031.JPG
    PICT0031.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,302
  • PICT0032.JPG
    PICT0032.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,248
  • PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,237
  • PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,283
  • PICT0035.JPG
    PICT0035.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,300
  • PICT0036.JPG
    PICT0036.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,276

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Dimi, that has got to be the neatest exhaust setup - particularly when you consider how much less space you have to play with than us old-timers with small blocks !!

By the sound of things, it seems like you have got hold of someone who knows a bit about G50's (CMS & Renegade) - any chance of publishing some info on these "rare birds" ?

It also looks like you have some very neat & small gas struts to hold the rear clip open - again, any chance of further info on these ??

If you think that you are on a roll now, just wait till you get her on the road !!

Beautiful work !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Dimi, that exhaust is stunning. Is there any worry with all that hot exhaust (when you've got your right foot firmly down) above the transaxle and heating it up?
Cheers and keep up this great build,
Dalton

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dalton

Yes there would be a concern but as yet the heatshields have not been put in place as they would make access difficult for any further work that may need to be done.
The heatshields will be fitted as the last thing when all else is done.

Dimi

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bill

Here are the photos of the rear gas struts and the mounting points you asked for.
I dont know specific details about them other than they came of a Maxda 626 rear hatch.
They have the strength to hold the rear clip at various positions and make the opening of the rear clip a one finger lift.
The ones I will be using for the front clip are from a Ford Laser rear hatch.

I had to add some square tube to the rear corners of the rear clip support frame to provide the lower mount for the struts. (see photo)
And fabricate the upper mount as shown with a reinforcing plate in the wheel arch side.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0037.JPG
    PICT0037.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,229
  • PICT0038.jpg
    PICT0038.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,205
  • PICT0039.JPG
    PICT0039.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,262
Dimi youe car is looking truly superb. The BOSS engine looks great. When I first became interested I really loved the look of the 8 trumpets sticking up in the window of the rear clip, but a brand spanking new BOSS engine, whilst perhaps not as traditional, does have a certain cutting edgness to it that I really like. As per everyone elses comments - your exhaust is a work of art. Keep up the awesome work.

Cheers

Jack

Dimi, I'm very impressed. Details such as those gas struts are making this a very professional product as a USABLE car. If you want lightness and simplicity to race, which was the original purpose of the 40, fine, but if you want to adapt it as a superb sports car for possible daily use, details like this make all the difference. A very professional build. I can't wait to see the finished product and get your driving impressions.
Dalton

Dalton

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Lynn

As requested I am posting the photos of the Toyota remote shifter and the CMS side shifter as set up in my car.

Hope this will help you

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0040.JPG
    PICT0040.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,141
  • PICT0041.jpg
    PICT0041.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,111
  • PICT0042.JPG
    PICT0042.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,152
  • PICT0044.JPG
    PICT0044.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,112
  • PICT0045.JPG
    PICT0045.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,119
Dimi,
Great shots of the shifter and its parts. Are you aware of which Porsche transaxels can be adapted to use the side shift? I sent an email to Bobby Hart last night, and should talk to him today or tomorrow some time to get the scoop on all the details. I will post my findings. The side shift really cleans up the rear end nicely. Do you know off hand if the imput shaft is 1/2"? Also, can you give the actions it goes through to select each gear? I would assume the shaft on the oposite side is just an extension of the front one, or is it the rear one???? Has the rear cover been replaced? Thanks for such great shots.I find it interesting how one question leads to five more!!!

Bill

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Bill
The attached drawings detail the shift pattern and the way the side shifter interprets gear changes.
If you go to page 2 of my build you will see the rear plate of the tranny which was supplied by Renegade Hybrids in the US which closes up the tranny and makes the rear clean and neat.

Dimi

Attachments

• sideshift.jpg
    sideshift.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,075
  • shift pattern.jpg
    shift pattern.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,033
Hi Dimi,
Looks great... keep up the pics.
Can you advise where you sourced the seats, they are great.
Does the 5.4 make the emission standards here in Oz.
I know there is an issue with some of the 4.6 quad cammers.

Cheers, Stan

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Stan
The seats were $100 for the pair on Ebay and were imported direct from Japan in a container load of spares by Honda Spares in Melbourne.
Donor for the seats appears to be a Mazda MX5 not available here.
They were then modified and reupholstered to suit the seating requirements for the GT40 (lowered base and squab and the backrest thinned and inflatable lumber support fitted.

The 5.4 Boss motor, (if the current late model version) and used with standard Ford ECU and all standard pollution control for that motor, is automatically approved.
The motor I am using is new and has build date of June 06 which complies with Euro 3 regs.

Dimi

Back