Re: Top 10 things to do while waiting for your SLC kit to arrive

Here are the top 10 things to do while waiting for your SLC kit to arrive:
  1. Finish off all those "Honey-Do" items now, so you can focus on the build when the kit hits your garage door.
  2. Be a hunter / gatherer for all those parts you know you're gonna need.
  3. Clean and de-junk your workspace
  4. Use the SLC as an excuse to buy more tools
  5. Eat Ramen noodles every night and save your pennys toward paying off the SLC balance
  6. Give your spouse lots of extra attention so she feels secure and loved, because you're going to ignore her once the SLC arrives
  7. Get the drive-train ready to drop in and start. That includes the motor, transaxle, the G50/LS conversion (clutch, pressure plate, adapter plate, release fork, slave cylinder), starter, wire harness, fuel pumps, fuel filters, fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail quick disconnect, front motor mounts, etc.
  8. Read every post in the builder forums on GT40s, FFCARS (GTM) and thefactoryfiveforum (GTM)
  9. Read the assembly manual again
  10. Polish something

Since I have some extra time on my hands, I present you with the "11th thing to do while waiting for my SLC kit to arrive"...Build something else!

I built this electric bike in the Bobber style. It features a custom fabricated frame, custom metal tanks and paint with a skull motif. It's powered by a 1000W electric hub motor and a 48V lithium battery pack. It cruises at 30MPH and has a 35 mile range. It ain't fast, but it's a cool grocery getter!

Attachments

• IMG_4725.jpg
    IMG_4725.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_4729.jpg
    IMG_4729.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_4746.jpg
    IMG_4746.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_4747.jpg
    IMG_4747.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_4750.jpg
    IMG_4750.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_4751.jpg
    IMG_4751.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 286
Bill this is cool, if this is any indication of your fab skills I can't wait to see your finished SL-C, its going to be nice. Did you air brush the skulls on the tank.

Fran tells me my SLC kit is nearing completion! I'm flying into Detroit next week (1/15/13 - 1/17/13) to take a look.

Are there any SLC builders in the Detroit area?

Fran tells me my SLC kit is nearing completion! I'm flying into Detroit next week (1/15/13 - 1/17/13) to take a look.

Are there any SLC builders in the Detroit area?

Make sure you pay attention to the white 917 and get lots of pics of it :D

LS to G50 Adapter plate

I'm installing the LS to G50 Adapter plate from RCR. I noticed that the plate does not connect to the lower bolts. Is this correct?

See red box below
rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1132-ls-g50-adapter-plate.jpg

Yup, on the ricardo those didnt orient either. I think the alignemnt pind do most of the hard work here. As long as the tranny pulls snug on those, that hardened steel pin is pretty stout. does that fit snug?

Attachments

• under.JPG
    under.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 454
Cam,

Thanks for the PIC...It makes me feel better.

Yup, that's the oil pan. However, the oil pan on a LS motor is a cast aluminum part that is designed to be a stress member.

Yup, on the ricardo those didnt orient either. I think the alignemnt pind do most of the hard work here. As long as the tranny pulls snug on those, that hardened steel pin is pretty stout. does that fit snug?

I didn't get any alignment pins with my transaxle? That would have made mating it a bit easier, haha!

Alex,

You have to buy them separately. Not sure it makes it any easier to mate tranny to engine though....seems they are virtually zero clearance.

I finished installing the clutch and I'm now fitting the 4 transaxle studs as I write this post. I bought a Porsche G50 mounting stud set (4x). The standard Porsche studs are M10x1.25, but the adapter plate is tapped for M10x1.5.:shocked2:

Where do you get studs or bolts that long?

The SLC build manual says:
"Cut high tensile (HT) bolts and thread to create long studs:
    • 3 ea. M10 x 120mm Stud HT
    • 1 ea. M10 x 158mm Stud HT"

I finished installing the clutch and I'm now fitting the 4 transaxle studs as I write this post. I bought a Porsche G50 mounting stud set (4x). The standard Porsche studs are M10x1.25, but the adapter plate is tapped for M10x1.5.:shocked2:

Where do you get studs or bolts that long?

The SLC build manual says:
"Cut high tensile (HT) bolts and thread to create long studs:
    • 3 ea. M10 x 120mm Stud HT
    • 1 ea. M10 x 158mm Stud HT"

Hi Bill,

Kennedy Engineered Products" specializes in adapter plates, and mounting studs for various transaxles to LSx engine combinations.

Contact info:

KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS
38822 17th Street East
Palmdale, California, 93550
(661) 272–1147
FAX (661) 272-1575

www.kennedyenginc.com

They should be able to help you out.

Mike

Bill have you received your roller yet. I live in High Point and would love to visit you to see the SLC. I am considering a build, looks like a great project!
Guy

Stig (KENNEDY ENGINEERED PRODUCTS),

I bought the set of 4 studs that I have from you. There's nothing wrong with them, I just assumed that Porsche G50 bell housing studs would fit a Porsche G50 adapter plate...Silly me.

Do you sell the same G50 studs but with a 1.50 thread pitch?

I've gone ahead and ordered M10x1.50x200mm hardened bolts from Fastenal that I will cut to length and thread to fit the adapter plate

Back