Click -> here for a video that shows more details on my SLC.

The video is a bit at 11 minutes, but don't miss the last couple minutes.

rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1550-slc-pyc-9.jpg

Beautiful car with a lot of nice custom touches. When I saw you post that you were going to build a SL-C I figured it would turn out really well.

Sounds like the radiator relocation is working out ok?

Thanks for the comments!

One of the details was the upper door hinges.
  • The upper hinge is a nicely shaped CNC part, but it could use some refinement. I started by sanding out the CNC grooves and polishing them to a high finish.
  • I'd always had a problem with the hinge joints backing out of the CNC'd parts and being kind of loose within their threads. No matter how much I tightened the hinge joints, they always seemed to back out. So I drilled and tapped set screws into the back of both sides of the hinge joint. They don't back out anymore and the door has a more solid feel.
  • I wanted the upper hinges to blend in with the black top, so I had the aluminum CNC'd portions black anodized and I did a black-oxide plating on the steel hinge joint mechanisms.

Attachments

• hinge polish.jpg
    hinge polish.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 427
  • Hinge pins.jpg
    Hinge pins.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 374
  • Hinge black.jpg
    Hinge black.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
I don't see any fasteners on your side windows ? How did you mount them ?

LOVE the yellow w/black !!

Actually, there are some very subtle mechanical fasteners on the side and rear windows that are not normally noticed.
  • The side windows are mechanically clamped in place with the hippo mirrors. The side window fits the contour of the body very snugly so no other fasteners are needed.
  • The rear window fits the contour of the upper body, but pulls away from the lower body. I've found that if there is a constant tension between 2 parts, any adhesive will eventually fail. So I fabricated 3 small clips that barely wrap around the edge of the Lexan and are blind bolted thru the fiberglass lip from inside. I painted the clips black to blend into the border.
All the Lexan windows are held in place and sealed with 3M Windo-Weld 1/4" ribbon. The professional who installed my windshield recommended 3M Windo-Weld for the Lexan.

Here's a test. Can you see the rear window clips in the attached photo?

Attachments

• IMG_5332.jpg
    IMG_5332.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 615
Actually, there are some very subtle mechanical fasteners on the side and rear windows that are not normally noticed.
  • The side windows are mechanically clamped in place with the hippo mirrors. The side window fits the contour of the body very snugly so no other fasteners are needed.
  • The rear window fits the contour of the upper body, but pulls away from the lower body. I've found that if there is a constant tension between 2 parts, any adhesive will eventually fail. So I fabricated 3 small clips that barely wrap around the edge of the Lexan and are blind bolted thru the fiberglass lip from inside. I painted the clips black to blend into the border.
All the Lexan windows are held in place and sealed with 3M Windo-Weld 1/4" ribbon. The professional who installed my windshield recommended 3M Windo-Weld for the Lexan.

Here's a test. Can you see the rear window clips in the attached photo?

The Answer to the test is...
rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1560-rear-window-clips.jpg

I open my front clam frequently to access the trunk, and the exposed lower door hinge looked a bit unfinished to me. I fabricated this cover to clean up the hinge area.

During the bodywork on this part, it became known simply as the "Athletic Cup" :shocked2:

Attachments

• Hinge cover.jpg
    Hinge cover.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
I open my front clam frequently to access the trunk, and the exposed lower door hinge looked a bit unfinished to me. I fabricated this cover to clean up the hinge area.

During the bodywork on this part, it became known simply as the "Athletic Cup" :shocked2:

Nice! Helps with water migration too. Great job..

Here's a few PICs of the diffuser I fabricated for the top of the front clam.

While the body work was being done, we affectionately refereed to as the "Klingon Weapon"
2590732-klingon.jpg

Attachments

• SLC PYC-9.jpg
    SLC PYC-9.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_5336.jpg
    IMG_5336.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_5338.jpg
    IMG_5338.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 453
TI6ihNa.png

Ahhhh, now I get the reference.
A truely willing assistant, with a good sense of humor to (uh) "boot". I knew the trunk was big, although I never thought of stuffing a person in mine to check (chuckle).

Trunk shuts nicely with little flex or alignment issues. Nice tidy build, particularly like the tablet install. I might have changed my tablet location had I seen that before, but then that was a while back.

Nice tour of the car Bill, thanks.

I've overcome every obstacle in re-configuring an Android tablet into a fully functional infotainment system. But now I've hit a problem that I cannot solve...heat.

Android tablets are powered by a lithium battery and lithium batteries are sensitive to heat, in fact they can self-combust if not treated properly. So tablet manufacturers put a temperature sensor in the battery to shut down the charging system if things get too warm. That over-temp sensor trips after when my SLC sits in the Carolina sun for a few hours.

Sooo, an all new infotainment system is at the top of my SLC ToDo list for this winter.

Like Rosanna Dana Dana says "Its always something"
da286e5fc7a8b395e080fda8ae820869.jpg

Back