F1 in 2012

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Vettel will start from the back of the grid. He stopped out on the circuit instead of returning to the pits. Talk about massaging the qualifying results?

Keith

He ran out of fuel just like Hamilton did - and got the same penalty - a bit harsh but it's the same for everyone. Actually the fact RB had to run low fuel just to try and keep up with Hamilton speaks volumes. What a difference between India and here... and why?

Buggered if I know.... :shifty:

Keith

The thot plickens. Allegedly, the Red Bull engineers are struggling to 'hide' a system which moves fluids (water & petrol) around the car to optimise it's C of G (which by agreement of all teams is deemed illegal as weight distribution was set for every car competing) and that the whole fuel debacle is down to the fact that whilst it had enough fuel on board at scrutineering, it had to be available at the filling point but was 150ml short.

The "missing" fuel was somehow trapped in this system and was therefore unavailable to be tested.

It is further alleged that RB have elected to start from pitlane which is a worse & self inflicted punishment rather than starting dead last on the grid, in order to strip out these illegal parts before end-of-race scrutineering, but does give them a chance to put in a fresh engine and gearbox for the last 3 races without further penalty.

There is also a question of a 'thermal strip' which expands and contracts in heat cycles and variously obstructs/opens brake cooling ducts on the RB, a moveable system which is illegal.

It was even further alleged that RB were not allowed to remove their car from Parc Ferme for these reasons, however, I cannot find any update on this, so I guess it's just rumours.

Ferrari look to have received soft treatment from the Stewards concerning the 'curfew' they broke twice. Teams are allowed 4 occasions per season but they must not be 'back-to-back' which clearly was the case on both Friday & Saturday nights/mornings.

Whether a major explosion is coming or perhaps a damp squib, who knows, but it looks to be an intriguing end to the season.

Keith, cheating in formula one? You have got to be kidding.
Rick, thanks I don't need to watch the replay now.

I watched the race again....it is worth the time. Kimi said he wasn't excited about winning and was looking for a party. I liked when Kimi told his team "Yes, Yes, Yes I know what to do". I think it was one of the better races this year. They missed blocking some of the interview verbiage here in the US.

Keith

Oh dear. Ferrari Under-performing again..... (SPOILER ALERT)

Quote:

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo says he wants to know why the upgrades Ferrari brought to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix did not meet their expectations.

“The weekend was hard to read,” Montezemolo told Ferrari’s website. “That began with Saturday evening when I watched a situation that was not entirely clear.”

“As far as Ferrari is concerned I want to understand why the new parts that we brought to the track only partially improved the performance of the F2012, which wasn’t enough to allow Alonso to fight for the very front positions on the grid – despite the contrasting expectations of our engineers.”

Montezemolo says he has urged team principal Stefano Domenicali to ensure their car is closer to its rivals in the final races.

“It’s clear that we have to do more for the coming races,” he said. “That is what I requested today of Domenicali and his team: we have ten crucial days ahead, during which we must do everything to arrive in Texas with a car that can fight for the victory. Words count for nothing: this must be our target.”

The Ferrari president praised Fernando Alonso’s efforts in scoring his 11th podium finish of the year: “To start sixth and finish second, despite only benefiting from one retirement from another car, clearly shows the pedigree of Fernando’s race yet again."

Unquote.

Who is going to be fired?

2010: Chris Dyer

2010: Aldo Costa
2012?

Pat Fry?

Domenicali?

Info courtesy of F1Fanatic & Ferrari website

Oh how times have changed....Ferrari stating that the DRIVER is the reason a Ferrari is on the podium.... Old "Anyone-can-win-in-a-Ferrari" Enzo Ferrari must really be spinning in his grave these days. Couldnt have happened to a bigger tyrant :)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I think the big thing to come out of Abu Dhabi was the Lotus victory!

I know the current team has nothing to do with the days of Mr Clark & Mr Chapman, but as someone who saw Jim Clark race, I'm thrilled!

But in reality todays McLaren and Ferrari have little to nothing in common with the teams Bruce & Mr Ferrari started.

I greatly injoyed Abu Dhabi, kind of magical, like racing in a snow globe:)

Now it's on to Austin.

Last edited:
GREAT RACE worth watching.

I laughed my *** off when Vettle busted out the F bomb in his interview. In as much as he is not my favorite I do enjoy his child like enthusiasm (although Couthard definitely did NOT). He just does not take it too seriously and that is kind of fun in the land of PC.

My GAWD, Maybe Kimmy should party and get drunk BEFORE they interview him, THEN maybe something (anything) interesting will come out! Although I must admit when he told his team to stop giving him information over the radio with a stern "I know what I am doing"
PRICELESS. (but in the team's defence - maybe they saw him rally driving. Where he clearly didn't know waht he was doing!)

I thought Alonzo has it all in perspective, happy about his finish, gave it all there was to give. Satisfied and smiling even though he did not win he knew the team gave everything.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
OOPS....sorry but I thought you would be up and watching.

No problem mate, in fact I did try to stay up and watch it, but a combination of beer and an overly long ad break saw me fall asleep on the couch.
When I awoke it was all over.:sad:
I have since watched it of course, a great drive by Vettel from pit lane, although
The safety cars fell at just the right time for him.
I thought DC was going to give Vettel a smack when he poured champers over DC's head:laugh:
Poor driving by Mark and for once Grosjean had a crash that wasn't his fault.
Ferrari have problems, Mclaren will miss Hambone and Lotus will be gagging for next season to start.
It was great to see Kimi on the top step.

Malcolm

Supporter
Of course a conspiracy theory would be for crashgate 2! Untypical poor driving from Mark, two safety car periods and Vettel gets position? Most odd. And with a precedent on how to do it, absolutely no need to discuss it at all as it is obvious what is needed and when without ever having to speak to anyone. But did Mark cause both safety car periods? No. But he did look smiling as he walked back to the pits after he was taken out of the GP by others which is unusual. Conspiracy theory of course. No evidence as usual. :)

I am with Malc on that, wouldnt it be interesting to know what little Eccles was saying to Vettel as he sat in his car in the pit lane, very unusual for Bernie to do that at a start. Frank

Of course, he was explaining the finishing order in Austin, Alonso first, Hamilton or Perez then Vettel third, this will give Eccles his grandstand finish to the season with the outcome decided on the last lap in Rio. Anyone agree ?

Keith

The explanations for all these things are much simpler than we make them out to be.

The crucial thing is that humans fuck up at every level of expertise and knowledge - that's what makes us interesting. You couldn't make it up.

But, given Bernie's continuing machinations, it would not be beyond belief if he deliberately chose to speak to Vettel at that time in order to generate some, er, conspiracy theories? That would have exactly the same effect as actually engaging in a conspiracy.

He's just winding people up...keeps him in charge.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
last lap in Rio. Anyone agree ?

Not really Frank. There has to be more subterfuge than that.

I think Interlagos (São Paolo) will be it's usual frantic self with some wild
accidents.

Back