F1 in 2012

Keith

Transmission software. To be honest, this stuff is on another planet compared with what we know and understand regarding our current road vehicles and is probably why manufacturers are happy to chuck a couple of hundred mill at it.

Great idea really. Spend a couple of hundred mill on "R&D", get massive tax breaks, learn and have fun. What's not to like?

Oh, sourpuss Horner. But there's always a downside to everything.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
We are all in for a treat now!

The next four races are four of my favorite tracks.......

Spa, Monza, Night race Singapore and then Suzuka! I can't wait.

Things look good for Alonzo, big lead, add to that, four+ drivers very close together and bound to take points from each other. Plus Alonzo is not known for choking.

Any thoughts?

Pat

Supporter
I'm with you on Spa and Monza. Ferrari are rolling out new bits for both tracks and I think they will do well. I'm not as sure about Singapore and Suzuka. Ferrari seems to have late race tire management issues on technical tracks. I'd think Red Bull will prevail in one and possibly both and Lotus is certainly due.
But that's why they run the race. This has truly been a great F1 season.
I'm normally not a NASCAR fan but the last five laps at Watkins Glen this afternoon were classic!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Spins halts Pastor Maldonado's homecoming demo in Venezuela
Sunday, August 12th 2012, 19:29 GMT

A planned 'hero's homecoming' Formula 1 street demo for Williams driver Pastor Maldonado in the Venezuelan capital Caracas was cut short on Sunday when he spun and damaged the car on only his second lap.

Maldonado, visiting his home country for the first time since becoming Venezuela's first grand prix winner, was due to complete a 12-lap run on the Fuerte Tiunas military parade ground in front of 20,000 fans and numerous political and military VIPs, with team owner Sir Frank Williams and shareholder Toto Wolff also present.

But Maldonado was caught out by the extremely bumpy surface of the show ground and spun his Williams FW33, damaging its suspension on the roadside kerbing.

The run had been planned as the highlight of a day of national sporting celebration, during which Venezuela's top sportsmen, including Olympic gold-medal winning fencer Ruben Limardo and IndyCar racer EJ Viso, were paraded before the assembled crowd.

However, fellow PDVSA-backed driver Rodolfo Gonzalez saved the situation by performing an eight-lap demonstration run in his GP2 car.

A violent electrical storm shortly after Gonzalez completed his demo ended thoughts of repairing Maldonado's car to resume running.

Keith

Spins halts Pastor Maldonado's homecoming demo in Venezuela
Sunday, August 12th 2012, 19:29 GMT

A planned 'hero's homecoming' Formula 1 street demo for Williams driver Pastor Maldonado in the Venezuelan capital Caracas was cut short on Sunday when he spun and damaged the car on only his second lap.

Maldonado, visiting his home country for the first time since becoming Venezuela's first grand prix winner, was due to complete a 12-lap run on the Fuerte Tiunas military parade ground in front of 20,000 fans and numerous political and military VIPs, with team owner Sir Frank Williams and shareholder Toto Wolff also present.

But Maldonado was caught out by the extremely bumpy surface of the show ground and spun his Williams FW33, damaging its suspension on the roadside kerbing.

The run had been planned as the highlight of a day of national sporting celebration, during which Venezuela's top sportsmen, including Olympic gold-medal winning fencer Ruben Limardo and IndyCar racer EJ Viso, were paraded before the assembled crowd.

However, fellow PDVSA-backed driver Rodolfo Gonzalez saved the situation by performing an eight-lap demonstration run in his GP2 car.

A violent electrical storm shortly after Gonzalez completed his demo ended thoughts of repairing Maldonado's car to resume running.

Consistency is the key in F1. The boy is a natural.....

Who is going to Monza? It would be great to meet you, if we can find each other!

My brother and I are leaving Perth on Monday evening and will be at the track from Thursday. We're booked into Grandstand Vedano No 24, and staying at the Hotel Trezzo, about 20km away and ENE of Milan.

I'm sure you'll recognise me in the sea of Tifosi! I'll be the one wearing a Mark Webber cap and, if cood or wet, a BRG Jaguar/Silk Cut jacket...

Really looking forward to watching Spa after the long break, and I can't say how excited I am about going to Monza!

Spa this weekend....what a track. Of all the tracks in F1 Spa is IMO the best of the lot. A touch of rain adds to the drama and pushes the drivers skills.....I've missed my Saturday and Sunday morning F1 fix. Can't wait.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,

Any other season I would probably have a fairly good answer, but as you know, this year.......................

I'm going to go with Alonso as my favorite.

But I'll give Kimi & Grosjean a good outside chance.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Alonso seems to be managing his races better than anyone at the moment.
But any of the top ten could win. Most interesting season for a long time.

Keith

Your boy did quite well until Quallie 3 where he foundered a little bit but heaps better than his august team mate, so not bad for a #2 eh? :laugh:

But, one of OUR chaps did a lot better!:thumbsup:

Shhhhhhh.......:lipsrsealed:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Reminds me of that Beatles song....

Attachments

• d12bel2023.jpg
    d12bel2023.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 187

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Black Bird Fly?