F1 2009

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
BBC coverage on balance was good. The new faces did not grate or marr anything the way the 'tosser' James Allen used to on the F1 ITV coverage. Adverts - why did anyone ever put up with the ITV coverage ? Martin B had Jonathan Legard (ex Radio 5 F1 commentator ) instead of Allen and Ted Kravitz was a welcome retention. The addition of DC and EJ along with the new girl Lee Mackenzie made it a good line up. And Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' is the epitomy and if BBC had not included it there would have been parliamentary questions.
I'm much happier because prior to this first race, there was a half baked silly trailer to the F1 season being shown on TV here which was SO BAD it made me cringe.
Oh - and well done Ross Brawn.
OK - Now it's the University Boat Race and I'm due at the Ship pub in Hammersmith for lunch in about an hour and then another place in Fulham tonight to celebrate 35 yrs. Onwards and upwards..................

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
HAMILTON WINS THE AUS GP. it is fairly certain the FIA will find a way of banning the Brawn and Toyota cars in appeal, Well done Brawn anyway, deserve the praise.

Why? What advantage is this to Ferrari if McMerc is promoted!

Call me cynical, but for that reason I can't see the appeal succeeding.

Anyway, fairytale result for Brawn. Good to see

I wish I knew some GT40 owners were at the track today! I have only met about 3 GT40 owners to date and I'm feeling a bit of a rare breed.

Being a GT40 fan and stuck in the Ferrari cooperate area again today was more than I could bear! Hearing I have 3 Enzos and a Dino as a bush basher car can get tiring. Cannot wait to go to a club event when I finish my car in 2023, I really should have been at home working on it!

Anyway here are a few images. Also saw the GT40 on display.

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

David Morton,
We must all see the same video feed on the 'world feed' and have different announcers based upon channel providers. Some of what I hear on the BBC I must listen carefully to understand. The 'separation by a common language thing'. With SPEED TV and David Hobbs and company, I get it all.
All and all it was a good first race. Tire rubber compound differences played more a factor than did slicks vs grooved tires. I feel the FIA needs to act faster than the 'safety car' deployment with a decision on the rear diffuser.
Grady

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Jason

Sorry I missed you out there. It was a great weekend with excellent weather.

Pete's Bar was a success as always!

Good to catch up with Pete McCluskey although I couldn't hear his phone call over the bar room noise in the bar on Sunday evening.....

Attachments

• R0010929.jpg
    R0010929.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 327
  • R0011055.jpg
    R0011055.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 318
  • R0011081.jpg
    R0011081.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 322
  • R0011094.jpg
    R0011094.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 355

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jason

Sorry I missed you out there. It was a great weekend with excellent weather.

Pete's Bar was a success as always!

Good to catch up with Pete McCluskey although I couldn't hear his phone call over the bar room noise in the bar on Sunday evening.....

It was good to catch up with you also Bill, I thought you didn't answer the phone on Sunday because of my Maniac Scottish Mate.:laugh:.

Jason you can always find a sprinkling of GT40 owners in Petes bar after the races, the Black car in your shots is Bills car, a very fine example of a Roaring 40.
I'll post my pics as soon as I recover.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Anyone notice that despite a fantastic drive from 18th to 3rd (4th on the road) little or nothing has been published about LH? Perhaps the honeymoon with the press is over. Personally I hope so.

I think the really question that comes from that race is.... how long do we think that "Kers" will last in GP racing... i'm guessing probably not long.

It didn't seem like a real advantage out there, especially against the cars that weren't running it...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I think the really question that comes from that race is.... how long do we think that "Kers" will last in GP racing... i'm guessing probably not long.

It didn't seem like a real advantage out there, especially against the cars that weren't running it...

I agree, the extra weight and the distribution of it appears to be the problem. The extra weight and less balance negate the extra horses. But if Bernie wants you to be green......Guess what?

Malcolm

Supporter
Actually when with an on board camera car it seemed obvious to me when they hit the button as the car with shot up to the side of the car without KERS quite easily. But if all cars had it then the differnece will be neutralised so will it still be of beneift? Are you aware that electric trains have been running KERS for years? They do not store the energy for their own exclusive use, but they pump electricty back into the system for other trains to use so reducing the railway electricity bill.

If the problems of KERS are resolved then it is more easy to see how it could benefit road cars in the future compared to other F1 trickery. Just may be some way off in the future! But if my Nissan Pathfinder had KERS and was computer controlled, it would make a big fuel saving on pulling away from traffic lights or hill starts when an extra chunk of power electrically generated would be of great help.

Didn't it take a couple of years to perfect active suspension, even rear wings didn't work safetly to begin with! Give the clever boffins a bit more time and they will certainly crack KERS into a reliable useful tool. And with any kind of system seemingly allowed its the first bit of free unrestricted thinking in F1 I have seen in a long time.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Seems Hamilton has been disqualified from the Melbourne result. This may have been because he or one of his Acolytes was lying about when Jarno Trulli overtook him.
Obviously Toyota knew this was coming because they withdrew their appeal (to the Stewards - not the FIA) yesterday.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
This what yu are talking about David?

"Lewis Hamilton and McLaren have been stripped of their podium finish and all points at the Australian Grand Prix.
The sport's world governing body said they were excluded "for providing evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards at the hearing on 29 March". "

On the Basis that there is still the possibilty that Brawn and Toyota get thrown out of the results on the technical appeal, then ALONSO WINS THE AUS GP ?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Good point Frank. Maybe when the lawyers have finished they will all be excluded for being too concerned about making huge wads of money and award the win to Super Aguri as they might have produced a legal car if they were still in and had finished.
It seems a lawyer will beat a racer everytime. I'm off to my local track for a club meeting and sanity.
Cheers
Mike

This had to happen,as Ferrari did'nt score any points then why should McLaren. F1 season just one race old and already turning into a farce.

Back