Rob's RCR40 Build

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
OK...been a while and the build is getting a bit away from the thread, so here is a quick catch up.

I have backed up a bit on the ignition, and have installed a multi spark system. I hid it inside the chassis to keep the desired look.

Fire system plumbing now complete

Exhaust installed (still need to make rear bracket at transaxle)

All body panels accept doors wet sanded to 1500 grit

Rear pan assembled and rear clip mounted (rough alignment only)

In lieu of straps, made some positive stops to catch the rear clip at full open.

She will be sitting in the corner for a few weeks while I re-do the 67 Stang to get it ready for sale. BTW.... anyone looking for one?? :D Oh..that reminds me...boy I've gotten spoiled working on the 40. Heck I can have the complete drive train out of that thing in about 45 mins, it took me almost a day and a half to get the "FE" outa the Stang. Of course with a fair amount of blood and cursing...:(

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season....

Tom, Sorry I didn't see your Q until now. The finish on the dash is truck bed-liner coating.

Attachments

• P1120545.jpg
    P1120545.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,601
  • P1120543.jpg
    P1120543.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,587
  • P1120404.jpg
    P1120404.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,562
  • P1120645.jpg
    P1120645.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,665
  • P1120408.jpg
    P1120408.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,670
  • P1120407.jpg
    P1120407.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,618
  • P1120916.jpg
    P1120916.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,592
  • P1120925.jpg
    P1120925.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,670
  • P1120927.jpg
    P1120927.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,585
  • P1120928.jpg
    P1120928.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,567
  • P1120932.jpg
    P1120932.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,549
  • P1120912.jpg
    P1120912.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,619
  • P1120913.jpg
    P1120913.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,580
Rob, your positive stops. They might be more effective if the piece that bolts to the rear clip as shown in the bottom pic was rotated 1/4 turn anti-clockwise to contact the front edge of the piece on the sub frame. At the moment a gust of wind would probably deform those pieces you have . In tech terms the moment arm the front of the clip has over the stops is huge. A couple of scissor links from each side of the TA to Clip would add a safety margin and gravity would ensure that they folded in the right direction when the clip is refitted.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Chris. The exhaust is RCR.
Thanks Bill. Me too..... :)

Jac, Yes...certainly and obviously the moment arm is huge. The material is high quality and I think there is greater chance that I would push through the adjustment rather than deform the material. This too in my opinion would render the design a failure, as I really don't want to have to re-adjust the rear clip once it is done. However, should the material deform easier than my engineering judgment anticipates, a couple simple gussets would likely address the design flaw. The stationary piece being 1/4 turn would address 1/2 of the equation...correct (still leaving the upper with the inherent concern), but did not work from a functional perspective of using the hinge plate. Thanks for you thoughts.

Ron McCall

Supporter
Incredible work Rob!!!! I still can't believe you went through the trouble of finishing the inside of the rear clip! It looks great! How do your fuel level senders work?

And what the hell is that white crap in your lawn!??????

Tell me about this Mustang???? I think I mentioned a while back that I would be in the market for a fastback in the future for my wife.....

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Ron.

Believe me, I was questioning the inside clip bit the whole time I was prepping it. What a royal PIA..! Glad it's done now though :D.

Fuel senders work great. No issues. Drop me a note or ring if your having issues with yours.

The white crap is a strange anomaly which occurs roughly about this time each year. It apparently is actually "rain".... oddly enough. But I live in a god forsaken place where Car Guys can't actually enjoy their cars for nearly 6mos outa the year due to this winter rain (commonly called "snow"). I still don't know why the hell any of us live up here..... :confused:

I'll drop you a note re the pony.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looks like my neighborhood Rob... :(

Nice work on the Forty - as usual! :)

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Rob, what is the paint code for the Gulf blue and orange? I want to paint a large die cast Ford GT with the Gulf colors.

thanks
Dwight

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
thanks
I'll get my buddy to mix a couple of oz. for me.

I'll keep this info in a file. Maybe someday I can build a GT 40 and paint it Gulf Livery. :lol:

Dwight

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
OK...so the hiatus from the 40 looks like it has come to an end. The 67 Stang restoration is finally complete.....:pepper: www.1967mustang390gt.com

Now.....where was I on the 40 again...:eek: :eek: :eek:

Should be getting back onto it full time by this or next weekend. Must admit it's been tough watching you buys rock and roll on yours. Very excited to get back at it.

Updates should be coming soon.....:D

Chuck

Supporter
Rob: that 'stang is beautiful. Ryan has been wanting to get ahold of a 66 or 67 Mustang for the last couple of years. When he see's yours I know what he will say . . .

By the way, do you ever sleep?

Chuck

Rob,

How did you ever keep that car in Michigan and out of the salt bath?

Good looking car, I can see Steve McQueen lighting that puppy up on the streets of SF! Never mind he wrecked that car.

Hope it sells quickly.

Howard

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks gents.
Chuck, Sleep is over rated. It's a trick I learned from Mr. Lampe.
Howard, She's a transplant. The ones that are native Mi cars are unfortunately Rustangs.

Back