• IMG_4647.jpg
    IMG_4647.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 503

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice work Chris.... So is that the wife saying "Hey!!!! You have 15 seconds to get these car parts off my kitchen counter!!!!" :)

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Nope Randy, that's the future wife (Bethany) who is incredibly supportive of this addiction of mine and she's sharing in my excitment of actually having completed something. Ok, it might not be totally complete, but it's painted and gauges are installed. And it looks GOOD!

Although the thread's been idle, I've again been sanding my fingerprints off. So far so good and at this point I think it's ready for paint. I'd like to say a quick thanks to Ron McCall and Rob Barusso for chatting last week. I had a few questions being a rookie painter and they got me pointed down the right road (although it meant more work for me). I kept burning through the primer on some of the edges/corners and I wanted to know how not to. Rob had the best answer: don't burn through. In the end I sprayed primer a number of additional times in a number of additional places and did a lot more sanding. At this point though, Dustin and I are slated for a Thursday/Friday spraying so if you'll all keep your fingers crossed.

As for other progress, I took the liberty of removing the cage and my homemade rear clip support to give them a coat of primer and satin black. I think they look good enough for now. I do intend to powder coat them in the future.

To move the clips around, I have been awkwardly carrying them. I figured out the other day that this would be complicated with fresh paint on them. I needed a way to move them without risk of damage. I spent a few hours today knocking out a two wheeled cart for the front clip. After work tomorrow I will do one for the rear and possibly the doors. It was totally low-tech and low-precision, but it went together in a snap and certainly gets the job done. Coolest part about it is that all the metal was from remnants at one of the local supply places and I made it for less than what the 2x4's would have cost to make it in wood. It probably took me half the time as well. I love working in metal- even my welds looked decent after a year or so of nothing.

Also, I indulged myself... It's currently on my suburban (which made me get the tape measure out and check what its plate should be- "MY GT88" if I have the storage box on top) and the little model I built in my spare time (1/24 Fujimi). I can't wait til it gets a big brother!

Attachments

• IMG_4672.jpg
    IMG_4672.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_4671.jpg
    IMG_4671.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 486

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Currently waiting for a tack coat to dry...

Attachments

• IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_4684.jpg
    IMG_4684.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_4688.jpg
    IMG_4688.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_4689.jpg
    IMG_4689.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_4690.jpg
    IMG_4690.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 472

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Half way home. Got the white done (eventually) and now need to mask off for the red. Unfortunately, I'm out of weekend. Needs to wait til Weds at this point. I also don't trust myself starting to set a paint mask at 2:30 in the morning...

Man this stuff takes a long time. Dustin had some dad duties come up but another friend, Ben, stopped by for a few hours on Thurs. Other than that, it's been slow, solo progress. I have a new respect for people who do this for a living.

The most important thing- no chemical reactions to peel the paint. Yay!!

Shiny white and looking good:

Attachments

• IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_4693.jpg
    IMG_4693.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_4695.jpg
    IMG_4695.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_4697.jpg
    IMG_4697.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 436
Hi my friend,

looks great !
Before masking, give the mustache a thought again, i personally think it is to much a single red stripe will make the car looking much cleaner and leaner . As said just my personal preference .

and now go to bed and give Bethany a hug !

TOM

Chris,
What paint system are you using? I have not read the whole thread so you may have this covered but, may I suggest checking out the tech data sheets for the 'open' time on the base coat. Inter coats will bond together without sanding but it could be only for a limited amount of time depending on system. You may need to scuff up the surface if you wait beyond that point.

The 'open' time of the base-to-clear coat is probably more critical, in the past I have seen warnings to not wait too long between base and clear coats unless of course you sand the surface before clear.

Don't want anything bad happening the clear. If you need - some paint companies have a tech help line.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thought about it Rob and kept after it for now... On with the red.

Attachments

• IMG_4699.jpg
    IMG_4699.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_4700.jpg
    IMG_4700.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_4702.jpg
    IMG_4702.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 589

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thanks Allen, I totally agree! But take a look for yourself...

Attachments

• IMG_4705.jpg
    IMG_4705.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4707.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_4709.jpg
    IMG_4709.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_4708.jpg
    IMG_4708.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 584
Hi Man,

beautiful ! How do you feel after having accomplished that ? my highest respect for not giving up and doing it by yourself. Now just use the correct clear and than let the fun beginn in another location.

Tom

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Thanks guys. I am thrilled about how it looks and couldn't be happier with the end result. I've had neighbors stopping by and "wow-ing" over it, knowing how much time and effort I've been putting into it. All that time I spent working in the curves with the flares and the project I made out of the nose came out wonderfully- it looks absolutely fantastic. I really couldn't be happier!

If anyone is thinking about painting a car by themselves, heed these words: it is A LOT of work. If you've prepped it correctly, you'll know what "A LOT" of work is. I started working Thurs am and got to where I am at about 11am today (Monday) with only a little time off on Fri evening and working fairly long days/nights (check the timestamps on the photos). I am still amazed that people will do this for a living and actually make money at it. They are clearly better than I am!! Mind you, all of it CAN be done by someone, but it is monumental amounts of effort and energy.

I am ecstatic about getting through this part of the build but it's not exactly "over" yet. I have decided not to clear it yet as I am moving to Portland the first week of January and 1- I will want to spot fix anything which gets scratched and 2- I need to get the house on the market (LOTS of cleaning to do). I know it will mean more sanding once I get to the NW but I am literally out of time and I know it's the right thing to do. I also already have holiday plans as well as a househunting trip to go on. It's going to be a busy month or two.

So at this point, as much of the car will be assembled as possible if only just for ease of transport and storage while waiting for the house here to sell so I can get one up there. It's going to be tough to step away after such an intense bit of progress on it but I can't wait to get back to the NW.

Chris it turned out great! It sounds like you will be moving up to my neck of the woods soon. I lived in Portland for most of my life, and we moved just out of Portland to Fairview last October. It's a bad time to sell a home right now, but it should be a good time to make your purchase. Good luck on your sale/move and when you get settled in I would like to see your GT40 some time. BTW - We have a few GT40 owners around here.

Back