Rob's RCR40 Build

DO NOT USE ACETONE OR LACQUER THINNER! These will creep under your tape line & ruin the part. If you must, use steel wool as suggested or a schotch bright pad to lightly scuff the area to be painted. Any good enamel will work okay. I prefer automotive grade paints, not rattle cans.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Chuck,
I absolutely agree with Molleur, lacquer thinner and acetone will bleed under the tape line. I would strongly not suggest trying this. I still say best approach is sand blasting. A small project like that can be done with a little hand held jobbie that you can get at Craftsman or Summit and can be done standing in your yard or driveway, no cabinet needed. Use a fine silica sand and just give it a dusting to take off the gloss. I also agree about the type of paint used. Don't suggest rattle cans for any body surface type finishes for that matter..... :)

Tamiya make paint in small spray cans specifically for spraying under lexan remote control bodies. With proper preparation this paint sticks very well to the clear plastic. Trick is to apply a few light coats to build up the finish as the gloss level is not important on the back of the plastic.
This is what I intend to use when I'm up to this stage in about 15 years!

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Finished the head light buckets this weekend. Ultimately decided that there was only one way that I could do it that I would be OK with. So, jumped in prepped, masked and painted the bucket lips. Took all weekend, but I can feel good about the result, and won't regret the end appearance.

For the record, I did do a test panel of sand blasting and painting. It looked good. From the top side the luster was beautiful. This would be a totally OK way to go. What I didn't like was that it "looked" like the underside of the plexi was painted, as there was a missing perception of depth and gap between the two surfaces. This is not what I was looking to achieve.

Anyway...once that was finished I got back to the wet sanding and rubbing out the paint. Probably about 60% done with first pass at this point.

Attachments

• P1150800.jpg
    P1150800.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 412
  • P1150804.jpg
    P1150804.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 360
  • P1150806.jpg
    P1150806.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 372
  • P1150808.jpg
    P1150808.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 462
  • P1150827.jpg
    P1150827.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 505
  • P1150816.jpg
    P1150816.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 404

Chuck

Supporter
Rob: looks very nice. Neat, trim lines, very professional.

I was a bit unclear about your intentions. Do you plan to paint the edge of the plexi on the back side or leave it as is?

Chuck

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Chuck,
Nope...plan to leave it exactly as is. That is why I circled back on the paint work. Bottom line: I didn't plan ahead well enough, and there was only one way to "fix" it that I would be satisfied with.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks......

I used the same paint as for the car, so it was base coat black with clear. I wet sanded and buffed out the black just as with the balance of the car.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
I Had the Mach I on track on Sunday, so took advantage of the photo op with the 40....

Thought I'd share.

Attachments

• IMG_2226a.jpg
    IMG_2226a.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_2257a.jpg
    IMG_2257a.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_2263a.jpg
    IMG_2263a.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2286a.jpg
    IMG_2286a.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_2369a.jpg
    IMG_2369a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2378a.jpg
    IMG_2378a.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_2396a.jpg
    IMG_2396a.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_2407a.jpg
    IMG_2407a.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2411a.jpg
    IMG_2411a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2422a.jpg
    IMG_2422a.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 541

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys.

Reeaaallly close Craig. Just some tid bits left...carpet, finish buffing, etc etc

Chuck, admittedly....it will indeed be a tough one to let go. I find myself just standing in the shop staring at it. :wideeyed: She's just so damn cool looking.

Magnificent Job, Thats a awsome looking car.

The advantage of painting the back of the headlight covers is also that any dirt and dust going inbetween it and the body ( And i know from my motorcycle windscreens that there will be a lot of things going there especially in this exposed area) will not be visible. As cool it looks, i believe it won´t stay like this for long if the car is driven.

But with the setup you have right now, there is always the opition to repaint also the covers.

TOM

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
While bringing the car out onto the track on Sunday I accidentally passed the spot I wanted to take the pictures at .......twice :D

Actually, I bought a new camera to capture a couple laps since the other videos sucked so bad. So ... here it is...this time crystal clear.

Waterford Hot Lap

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Rob,

It was worth every bit of the 20 minutes needed to download the file to finally see the video. I raced in Formula Ford years ago, and that track looks like it would be a bunch of fun. What's it measure?

You are going to SO miss that car when it's gone...

T.

I know it's got tro be bunches more fun when its at full throtle. You didn't seem to have any trouble getting it up into the revs this go round!!! Excellent video. What equipment did you use for the video??

Bill

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
T: I admit it, I am truly going to miss this one.

John:...you have great taste...btw

Bill: Nope, no issues with RPMs now. The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5. Very impressed with it so far.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Just sharing a pic that a photographer took at the track. Thought it was a cool shot.

PX1J1555.jpg

Back